Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head gasket Theory Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I have one 914-2.0 w/ head gaskets and one 914-2.0 w/o head gaskets. I'll probably find out eventually but I have the patience of a charging Rhinoceros so I'm hoping someone w/ the experience can answer me this; I've read that a valve is cooled somewhat by the brief time it is in contact with the head. If this is correct, it makes me wonder if the head gasket plays some roll in arresting heat transfer from cylinder to head?? Stupid question but it will help me sleep better. TIA, kent
VaccaRabite
Head gaskets are copper, and copper conducts heat very well. So, no.

If they were copper for sealing sandwiched with asbestos or some other barrier, then yes. But, they do nothing to arrest heat between head and cylinder.

Zach
URY914
The cylinders also contact the heads on the sides not just the top of the cylinder. They fit into the head. So the gasket wouldn't stop heat transfer.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 23 2012, 01:36 PM) *

Head gaskets are copper, and copper conducts heat very well. So, no.

Stock ones are layered white metal, not copper.

I am told that if you use the copper ones, you need to periodically (or at least once) re-torque the head nuts. Not so with the stock gaskets or with none.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.