Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It works again! hurray!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
red914
thanks to all who offered advice, as well as therapeutic ridicule and jokes during the ordeal known as "learning to adjust and synchronize dual carbs." rather than use my time to look for gainful emplyment today, i thought it better to go and play with the carbs. and now they work! no more hunting at steady speed, idle right around 900-1000, smooth acceleration... it was everything i hoped it would be. well, except for the part about not being able to break the tires loose in all gears. laugh.gif i don't think i got the 40-50 hp gain i was looking for, either. sad.gif

a very special thanks to dinomium, who not only helped out physiclaly, but also served as my on call tech support. dino, when i see you next (taking down your chimney? smash.gif rebuilding your bathroom? sawzall-smiley.gif ) i owe you a beer! beer3.gif

a special thanks also to Rhodyguy, who offered the use of his synchrometer, as well as donating parts! Thanks immensely! pray.gif

yep, i couldn't drive and maintain the teener without the help of this board and the good people on it.
rhodyguy
telling the wife, "i have to return this to kevin", is a good excuse for a shake down cruise. double check the jam nuts on the threaded rods. they might loosen up a bit.

kevin
Tom Perso
It's nice to hear about club members helping out others...

Glad to hear you got the Webers dialed in! Now go out and give it the old Italian tuneup!

Tom
red914
good advice on the jam nuts, Kevin. i will watch those on a regular basis.

is it me, or does the engine sound throatier? (if that is a word?) would carburation make the engine noise sound different?

oh, kevin; i will give you a call before i drive down to return it. this weekend is booked, so is early next week ok?
rhodyguy
your car, well at least the engine, will sound much different with the duel carbs. it can be a bit droning on the freeway for long periods. no rush on the tool. you shouldn't have to check the nuts often at all. just a retighten now. good and snug and you should be fine.

kevin
red914
droning on the freeway is a good description. i figure all i need now is some stainless heat exchangers and a cool exhaust. then my neighbors would really like it! laugh.gif speaking of which, you should have seen the looks Dino was getting when he was here the other night and driving it up the street checking the adjustment; no love for Dino in those eyes!
dinomium
That is great nooz Shane! beerchug.gif You are now one of the club! The special sub set that take a perfectly well running car and mess it up just because! wink.gif
As for the nieghbors, I kinda have that effect on them... dates back to leaving my Girlfrieds house back in High School. Late nites and a 1975 LT1 Camaro...
Hey, dont judge me too harsly it WAS the 80s
lol
red914
welcome back Dino! i had the car running in the driveway yesterday, warming it up to see if i could fine tune anything. while at it i drained the water out of the passenger headlight (i have no idea how it got in there confused24.gif ). as the engine warmed up it just ran smoother and smoother. i decided not to touch anything, as i feared i would bugger it up! laugh.gif
rhodyguy
no snaps or pops from the carbs? leave them alone. the drain is plugged up with leaves and/or pine needles.

kevin
Root_Werks
Good job Shane! beerchug.gif Enjoy the new power. "I love it when a plan comes together." biggrin.gif
red914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 13 2004, 05:42 AM)
no snaps or pops from the carbs? leave them alone. the drain is plugged up with leaves and/or pine needles.

kevin

remember Kevin, you have to talk slowly and explain stuff to me for me to get it; what drain? plugged? as for pops and snaps, that is a negative. just humming, especially when it gets warmed up nice.

thanks for the kind words, Dan. one of these days we all need to linkup at Wingdome!
rhodyguy
the HOLES in the bottom of the headlight buckets. some might refer to them as drains. the fresh air inlet box has them too. raise the headlights, take off the surrounds, run a coat hanger down them. read very slowly for full effect, affect, what ever.wink.gif

kevin
red914
oh, THAT drain. cleared it long ago, but you are right; it was probably clogged before i bought it, and that is where the water came from. amazing, that "understanding" thing. i should try it more often. thanks for your patience with me, Kevin. and for writing slowly so i could get it! wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.