Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coating for the Rear Wall Engine Bay and Bottom of the Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914four
After researching and reading several restoration threads that included different types of coating I am still undecided about coating the bottom of my car and rear wall engine bay. Coating would help keep the paint on the bottom of the car from chipping, insulate the engine from the car without the bulky pad that traps moisture and cut down on road noise.

It seems like the modern coatings stick better, are more flexible and last longer than coatings used 40 years ago. Older coatings cracked and trapped moisture that promoted rust and the newer coatings appear to be much better.

At least one liner forum stated that the liner gets soft at 190 degrees Fahrenheit and may pull away from its surface. I worry about using a bed liner or undercoating in the engine bay but the Lizard Skin specification is up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Please offer any advice from experience you have had with the newer types of coatings.

Kelvin
tod914
I can see undercoating the bottom and possibly the wheel wells. But anything else I wouldn't do. Especially anything near heat. My current car had Ziebart sprayed on everything. Including the engine and transaxle. If you like lots of smoke, go for it. I can tell you it's a Royal PIA to clean off.
RickS
I did my entire engine compartment with a can of semi gloss rustoleum and a small roller. It came out great. You might want to use Worths rattle can undercoating for the bottom of the car.
mark21742
For everything other than the engine compartment I use and love roll on bed liner you can get at autozone/ advance...for the engine compartment I use Krylon BBQ spray paint, it has a very nice semi gloss black finish and holds against the heat....I have done trannys and exhaust manifolds with this paint too and its held good
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.