Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Almost done with Orangina
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
I am 2 days away from finishing changing out everything but the shortblock motor and tranny in my 73 2.0L. I mean almost everything. Every piece of rubber, seals, all metal refinished or new, trailing arms, brakes by Eric Shea, rotors, you name it, it is NEW.

Bruce Stone and Steve Gaglione know I went nuts. No pics yet, but only the SSHE's/Muffler and the motor and tranny are all that is left in removable parts that I have not changed out for new or as new. I have a slight hose leak in the 3rd injector, but only when I touch it. I have to fix that on Saturday.

I know I spent too much time and money on her, but hey, I will be 60 this year, and screw conventional thinking. I know what I did, and there is nothing like getting in after removing almost everything under and in the car, replacing it, and having the little bastard start on the FIRST try! DJET RULES!

Pics soon. I LOVE 914's!

John
RickS
John, looking forward to see the fruits of your madness! and I totally understand, since there is little rational about owning a 40+ year old car
JRust
Excellent! Glad to hear it went so well & started on the first try. Very cool & can't wait to see the pics biggrin.gif
Tom_T
So that's what you've been buried in lately! biggrin.gif

Didn't hear from you last Sat., so assumed you decided not to run the -6 in AX on Sun.?

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
TheCabinetmaker
someones gotta say it!
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
avidfanjpl
I know~truly~no pix yet.

I came down with that latest stomach flu on Monday and lost almost 14 pounds.

I almost went to the hostabill. I was that sick. I finally settled down this evening and the virus seems to be gone. I am quite dehydrated, but I will survive.

HELL for me at age 59.6

Orangina is DONE. Almost all little things fixed. Have to take up slack in the accelerator cable, and yes, another damn AAV in the crapper. I have a spare or two yet.

Does anyone repair AAV's here? I have 2 possible dead ones.

With all the rain, Orangina is in the garage, but I will get some pics. It has to be up in the air to truly show the work, so that may be 2 weeks, but I will get pics done and in before April.

Yes, Tom, I did not make the Sunday AX race, nor will I make this coming Sunday's AX at OCR, because work calls. I missed my trip Monday to DC being sick, so I have to go soon.

Things for me don't slow down until June at work.

The OCR AX is 3/3 and that is just too close to make.

Pics will reveal the work that took place!

THANKS ALL!

J
avidfanjpl
And one interesting point.

I converted to Aluminum Motor Mounts just for grins. I can always change back to rubber, but I liked the look too.

You feel the engine revs MUCH MORE. Not a bad thing, but I am not sure I will keep them.

There is less engine twist when you grab a gear in the power band, and that is noticeable as well.

Car feels a lot more stuck to the road, if that is possible. I am going to put the Azenis tires back on soon and see how the car grabs.

Those tires are pretty damn sticky when warm.

J
Tom_T
Travel safe John & let me know when you're at AX next & I'll come cheer you on.

I hope to make the P-car Swap at the Phoenix Club Anaheim on Sunday, maybe see ya there or somewhere sometime soon! beerchug.gif
avidfanjpl
OK, Tom, work takes priority for a while.

For those who wanted pics. Here is a cellphone photo of Orangina's DJet motor

Original GA000336

This was 10 days ago before we mated it to the tranny and put it in the car.

At least this is 1 picture!

More before the end of time!

J

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Mar 1 2012, 04:29 PM) *

OK, Tom, work takes priority for a while.

For those who wanted pics. Here is a cellphone photo of Orangina's DJet motor

Original GA000336

This was 10 days ago before we mated it to the tranny and put it in the car.

At least this is 1 picture!

More before the end of time!

J

Click to view attachment

Understood John.

... but DANG! ..... that motor sure looks purdy! drooley.gif
avidfanjpl
OK

Here is another cell phone camera angle on the mighty GA000336 for any semi-purists out there. (Well, the coil is not OEM).

ENJOY!

Special thanks to Steve Gaglione and George Hussey/AA at the end!

And yes, I used both AA and PP for parts, very happily for years in BOTH cases.

Always have, always will.

And YES, that is a complete Bowlsby DJet harness staring back at you! I hope he makes them for 100 years!

J

Click to view attachment

SUNAB914
Your valve cover fell off. lol-2.gif
Looks great!
avidfanjpl
Those are the old ones.

Used them to catch oil during adjustment.

dry.gif

J
jsayre914
pray.gif

Very motivational thread for me. I needed this motivation. Thank You

It looks AWESOME !!

first.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.