Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible build day in the North Jersey area?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JayB
Hey guys,

I've had a 914 for a while and have been lurking on the forums here since i got it. I've recently made the decision to get to work on my car instead of selling it or parting it out. I think i need to prove to myself that i can actually finish a project, and i cant think of a more rewarding way to do that!

I've got general knowledge of welding and fabricating, but i could use a hand from someone who knows about the ins and outs of these cars specifically. It seems like there's no shortage of knowledgeable folk here, but what about ones in the north Jersey area? If there's a good deal of you guys in the area, I've got the space and tools to host a build party. Between my two service bays, MIG welder, Bridgeport, and large assortment of hand tools, I think there's potential for a fun work day.

On a side note, If you guys ever need to use something I've got, your more than welcome to use it. I enjoy machining custom parts and such, so let me know your needs. I know i'll be needing your help, so I want to be able to offer your guys something in return!
jonferns
Sounds good beerchug.gif

Put something together, there are a few guys in NJ that will come up for a build day.
JayB
Cool! In about a month or so my shop will (hopefully) be clear enough to pull a car or two in, and by that point the weather should be a bit more predictable.
rmital
QUOTE(JayB @ Feb 24 2012, 12:29 PM) *

Cool! In about a month or so my shop will (hopefully) be clear enough to pull a car or two in, and by that point the weather should be a bit more predictable.

This sounds great. I've had a bunch of wreching sessions at my garage in Bergen county....always got a good group of knowledgable 914ers. I'm sure we could shift the group in your direction.

Curious, what year and engine type you got.
And whats the extent of work to get done?
timofly
Jay,

Great idea. Count me in, with a couple weeks notice you can probably get 4-5 guys pretty easily.

Tim

JayB
I believe it to be a '74 (thats what the registration says, i never got a title) and it has the 1.8. Other than the crappy engine, i think the rest of it has some cool options (guages, sway bars, fuchs)

the work to get done is mostly cosmetic. Hopefully ill have the the floors fixed and the pedal cluster back in by that point, and maybe even have the carbs tuned. I just installed the dual webbers and my uncle is supposed to come over and tune them for me. Other than that, most of the work needed is body work and such. Maybe someone could bring up their good condition car so i can see how the sheet metal is supposed to look, since theres something wrong with pretty much every part of the body. I have enough space to get several guys working on theirs at once, if necessary.

Its good to hear there's guys out there willing to help out!
pete
Hey JayB. I might be interested. I need some motivation. I have a 74 1.8 too which I'm converting to a SBC. The car is currently in pieces. Been working on and off on the engine compartment readying it for the V8. So far it seems like a lifelong project. Half the car is in my garage and the other half is in an empty office at work.
injunmort
i'd be in
JayB
I wish i had the guts to start a project like that Pete!
Motivation is apparently going to be the theme of the day, that's just what i need too. I was hoping some direction from you guys would give me that motivation.
Bring pieces/measurements/drawings of custom work you might need done, and i'll see what i can do to help you out.
sounds good injunmort!
I'll post the date here eventually, which will likely be sometime in late April.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.