Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking to see a 914 up close, buy one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
klayfish
Good evening all. I'm interested in learning more about the 914. Here's a brief summary of my situation. I already own a weekend toy, a Shelby Cobra replica (Factory Five Racing) and love the car to death. However, I've also owned 3 Toyota MR2s in the past and also still think the world of them. My Cobra is an awesome car, and I use it for show, autox and open track racing. But I really was itching for my mid-engined car that just handled like a go-cart. The wife finally conceeded to let me go ahead and buy another MR2 (so I would stop complaining). However, as I've been finding it hard to find a good MR2, I was thinking about what else I might like. The 914 popped right into my head. I've always loved their looks, but I don't know too much about them. I presume they are somewhat similar to the MR2, in that they are light weight, midengine, low power and probably handles fantastically. I'm looking for something that is pure FUN to drive. biggrin.gif Has anyone here ever driven the '85-'89 MR2 and can compare the cars? How about some info on the 914. Easy maintainance? Reliable? Cheap parts?
Also, is there anyone in the Philadelphia area who could show me their car? If I decide to buy one, I'd definitely want a driver, not a show car. Just something to kick around when I don't take the Cobra out. Thanks for your help.

Steve
Curvie Roadlover
Steve, Go to pelicanparts.com . There is a link to an article that is the qiuntissential guide to buying 914's. What to look for, what to avoid.
Tom M.
Brad Roberts
Instead of referring him elsewhere.. why dont you answer his questions ?? You should be PRO by now.

B
Curvie Roadlover
Why re-invent the wheel?
Curvie Roadlover
Try to get one just like this!
tongue.gif
J P Stein
I already spilled my drivel bout this on the Pelican.
Steve seems fixated on the 914.....can't imagine why wink.gif
klayfish
I'm still watching here. Yes, I'm fixated on the 914. Mostly because I'm so curious. I don't know much about them. The more I'm reading, the more I like. I get the feeling they are much like my beloved MR2, just older and therefore less sophisticated due to the technology difference. But the most important thing to me is that it is FUN to drive. I'm also getting feedback that an affordable driver could be within my price range. I don't need a daily driver, just a driver. I would probably only take it out 1-2 times a week, sometimes less. Anyone know where there is one around Philly either for sale, or that I could at least look at? Are they hard to find? I know I don't see many of them around here.

Steve
Curvie Roadlover
Actually Steve, I just bought one in November. I had been looking for about 3 months everyday when I found the one a bought. I consider myself very lucky to have found one in that short a timeframe that was exactly what I was looking for. I bought my first one after looking at just a few that were close-by. That car was a ball to drive and it sucked me in to the 914 addiction, but it was in rough shape and would have cost more to fix up than to replace. So, I sold it and began my search for a better one. I checked www.collectorcartraderonline.com, rennlist.com, pelicanparts.com, roadglue.com, e-bay, craigslist.com, and anything else I could think of. I chesked them about twice a day. I knew every car for sale in the whole country during the time I was looking. I concentrated my looking in CA, AZ, TX, FL, etc.... the "non-salt-on-the-roads" states. You'll hear this time and time again, but it's true - get the best car you can for your money because it's FAR CHEAPER to spend the money up front for a nice car than to get one that needs work and fix it up. It's better, too, to get one with little to no rust with mechanical issues, than one that runs good but needs alot of rust repair. Take your time.
Good Luck,
Tom
end of rant
Bleyseng
Ok, I'll bite....
For a driver get a 73-74 2.0L that is rust-free and complete as you can afford. The later cars (75-76 2.0L) are good too if they have had the smog exchangers/airpumps switched out. The 5 mph bumpers are great for traffic as people (women in SUV's) can't see your little car.
The 2.0L cars have about 95 HP with the FI, some people rip it out for carbs but it doesn't add any hp at all! The FI is very nice as long as it's all there and set up correctly. Makes for a great trouble free driver that is quick and handles like a gokart.
You will want good tires (sizes 195x60 or 205x50) and good shocks ie: Koni's or Bilsteins. Front sway bar is nice, atleast the 19 mm one. Rear springs for the street are 140 lbs or if you autox try the 180 lb ones.
The neat thing about these cars is that, you the owner, can modify it to suit your taste/driving without going broke.

Once set up with tires, shocks, sways, springs you will be amazed at how they handle. Freeway driving is pleasant and smooth upto 115 mph. Cornering is what will bring a smile to your face. A road with lots of twisties is sought out for weekend fun. The wife/GF also will love riding along or driving it in the summer with the top off.

Maintainance is pretty much oil changes and valve adjustments although these cars are over 25 yrs old so a constant lookout for other problems is advised.

If you want another brute to go with the Cobra, buy a 914/6 with a 3.0 or larger. 250hp in a 914 takes it to another level.

Geoff
drew365
I can't comment on the MR2 as I've never driven one. I was in a similar situation as you, I've owned several front engined rear drive cars and wanted to experience a mid-engine car that I could take to the track and be competitive. A 914-6 was the only car that fit the criteria and was affordable. I thought I would have to buy a conversion but I got lucky and found an original 6 for a good price. All I can say is it goes like stink and sticks like glue. I'm having more fun than I ever imagined and wonder why I didn't do this years ago. If you can't fit a 6 in the budget you can still have a lot of fun with the 4. They become real addictive as they're a lot of fun stock, yet you can endlessly improve them. The main thing to look out for is rust. You should probably try Autotrader.com to start shopping and researching prices and availability in your area. Good luck!
Curvie Roadlover
Just a quick word: a while back, autotrader stopped listing cars older that 1982 I believe. To look at cars older that that you have to go to collectorcartraderonline.com
Gint
Steve,

You'll find the best selection of decent and rust-free (or nearly so) 914s in California. That isn't to say you won't find one somewhere else, but... Make friends so they can look at prospective cars for you. When you find a good one, you can make a trip to the beach out of it. Especially nice if you find one during the winter. Well, after it quits raining in CA anyway.
klayfish
Thanks for all the responses everyone, I appreciate the advice. One thing I have become good at is checking the internet for cars I'm looking for. As long as I get help in some smaller lesser known sights to scour, I'm pretty good with that. I've been using autotrader (or collectorcartrader), ebay, et al. for quite some time. As with most of you, I've had a passion for cars since I can remember. In the past 4 years, here's a partial list of cars I've bought and sold: 3 MR2s, Miata, '80 Vette, '39 Dodge street rod, '67 Jag E-type w/Ford 302 conversion, '86 Supra, '97 Integra GSR and my current Cobra. I drive the wife crazy. rolleyes.gif

I'm going to print out that list of places to look for the 914, so I can check them. I'm definitely not in a true hurry to find the 914, though I wouldn't be upset if I got lucky and found one. I've learned not to jump at the first one just because it's there. I bought my Cobra from Kentucy, but part of the deal was that it had to pass a thorough check-up by my local Cobra builder here before the sale went through. If it was in bad shape, I was going to send the guy home with the car. Luckily, he was a very honest guy and the Cobra was exactly as advertised.

That's interesting that someone said they'd rather have a rust-free car that needed some mechanical work than a somewhat rusting car in good mechanical shape. Is that true for the rest of you? What if you didn't really plan to restore the car and its' body, rather planned to just try to keep it as is and enjoy driving it? Would you think mechanicals more important? Yes, I know about rusting floor pans and suspension, etc., but I'm talking about surface rust, not structural.

I also know to search the southwest states. Just sucks that I live in the northeast, it's so far away. I got real lucky with my last MR2. It was a documented New Mexico car, which was brought to Pa right before I bought it. Can I get that lucky twice? One can always hope.

While I'd love to have a race prepared 914 or MR2, it probably won't happen. I'll just be looking for a stock 4 cylinder 914 or base MR2. The Cobra is my race car, and I enjoy it. 'Tis quite a beast to autox, you learn how to drive very quickly in that car.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll keep checking in here.

Steve
Jeroen
Klayfish wrote "...That's interesting that someone said they'd rather have a rust-free car that needed some mechanical work than a somewhat rusting car in good mechanical shape. Is that true for the rest of you? What if you didn't really plan to restore the car and its' body, rather planned to just try to keep it as is and enjoy driving it? Would you think mechanicals more important? Yes, I know about rusting floor pans and suspension, etc., but I'm talking about surface rust, not structural..."

Well, that's the main problem with these little cars. If there is rust, there is structural rust.
So if there is any rust on the bodypanels, you can bet your @ss that it's got rust where it counts...

If you wanna see sum rusty pics, check my website biggrin.gif
(see the "body" pages)

Cheers,

Jeroen
My 914 Project
Curvie Roadlover
And wouldn't you rather work with a wrench than with sandpaper?
Jeroen
Sandpaper?
I've already gone through two angled grinders and a drill (used with wirebrushes)
huh.gif

Cheers,

Jeroen
jamez
I recently had the opportunity to drive a brand spanking new Porsche Turbo Carrerra for a day. I put this ass heavy rear engine muscle call through the paces and it felt heavy, stiff, no fun. I hated it, compared it to the nimble handling of my past 914s. It seems a true 14er like I, feels strongly this is the only car ever built to be the ultimate in handling experience. My last 14 had a fresh factory engine, brakes, tires, konis, etc.. which I have over the last 2 years kicked myself for fire-selling. I missed this car enormously more than I could convey. I am going to be looking for a pristine model in the next week or two as I am waiting to finalize getting some funds to suppport the quality of car I am looking for. I may even get one for show and prepare a climate/hu7midity controled garage for it and another in nearly as good condition as a fair weather long distance driver. I'll be the guy frantically running around a covered car under a bridge in the rare event the weather reports errored =) I loved my 14's and I learned every square inch of these cars with tons of experience right down to even adjusting the valves my self.

You could give me any cobra, MR2, 911, or any car in the world, and I would not enjoy it anywhere near as much as the 14's I have owned most of my driving life (I am in my fourties now). If the car was of greater value, I'd sell it fast and get a decent 14. I am an excentric fanatic about the car. BTW, If anyone knows of an original 73 2L with the original factory Porsche side stripe options, like my last one, let me know. I will fly ANYWHERE to pick it up and tresure it for life. I should be in a position to buy by 3rd week in January and even furnish a generous finders fee for the right car as they are getting rarer to find a mint all original one.

Porsche... there is no substitute
Bleyseng
I thought the side stripes were a dealer installed option, just like the hood crest, ski rack, radio, etc...
Geoff blink.gif
jamez
You may indeed be correct there, they may very well have been optional, I dunno... I know mine had them and I suspected they came with all Special ("S") models, if there were any as I have heard that term thrown around somewhat. Mine also had the black vinal trim around the windshield which I was told was rare, the same material that covers the pillars on all 14s. I also had rear sway bars, fuchs and full instrumentation which I understand accompanied that year but were optional the following year(s).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.