Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOOO HOOO! My 72 starts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Finally, I turn the key, hear the fuel pump and then she starts!!!

It has taken me 4 days to get it to start using the ignition.

Day 1 - change the ignition switch inside the steering column. Didn't completely solve the problem.

Day 2 - change the relay board. Solved the intermittent ignition operation of the starter but no fuel pump operation. Screwed around trying to get the fuel pump to work and smoked 2 Pertronix units mad.gif ar15.gif

Day 3 - worked on the 73 because I was still pissed about the trouble with the 72. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Day 4 - decided that it wasn't going to get fixed until I got back to it. Put points back in the distributor, broke out the manuals and multimeter and started tracing wires. Finally figured out that the relay board had an 8 amp fuse in the fuel pump fuse holder instead of a 25 amp fuse. Changed the fuse, turned the key, heard the fuel pump smile.gif , turned the key to engage the starter and it worked too! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif - the engine started!!!

I still suck at electronics but not quite as bad as I did a few days ago.

I've been putting up with this intermittent no start using the ignition (using the old screwdriver always worked) for about 3 years. maybe now it is finally gone.
sj914
Great Job at trouble shooting. smilie_pokal.gif

Makes me wonder why with all the parts that people has made to improve our cars. No one has gone and redesigned an updated relay board using updated parts, like spade fuses, modern relays.
seanery
Great News Doug! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.