Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to try to turn over a 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
Just got the 73 home and I want to see if the engine is siezed. What is the best way to do this. Can I get a socket on the fan, or should I put it in 2nd or 3rd gear and try to roll it? What size is the Fan Hex Nut?

Thanks Again smile.gif
pt_700
how about lifting a rear wheel (after safely blocking the fronts, of course), putting her in 5th and turning the lifted rear wheel by hand?
nathansnathan
The nut on the alternator is a 22mm. You may have to reach down there and pull up on the belt to take out the slack if it starts to slip.
Al Meredith
I agree with the alternator pulley . requires a large wrench but that is how I do it.
Cap'n Krusty
The center bolt holding the fan hub on is an 8mm x 1.25, and takes a 13mm wrench. Might be a really bad idea to use that, even if the plugs are out. Breaking it would be a definite downer.

Take the spark plugs out and remove the point wire from the coil if you're gonna try to crank it with the starter.

The Cap'n
wndsnd
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Feb 24 2012, 04:22 PM) *

how about lifting a rear wheel (after safely blocking the fronts, of course), putting her in 5th and turning the lifted rear wheel by hand?

Not sure I can find any metal to support the car! WTF.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 24 2012, 05:37 PM) *

The center bolt holding the fan hub on is an 8mm x 1.25, and takes a 13mm wrench. Might be a really bad idea to use that, even if the plugs are out. Breaking it would be a definite downer.

Take the spark plugs out and remove the point wire from the coil if you're gonna try to crank it with the starter.

The Cap'n

If I hit it with the starter and the engine is frozen, what damage will I do! unsure.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 24 2012, 04:50 PM) *

The nut on the alternator is a 22mm. You may have to reach down there and pull up on the belt to take out the slack if it starts to slip.

This sounds like a plan! piratenanner.gif
glens67
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 24 2012, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 24 2012, 04:50 PM) *

This sounds like a plan! piratenanner.gif

Just put on the ground in 5th and push it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.