Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bilstein shocks & Weltmeister springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
I'm installing a set of rear Bilstein shocks and a set of Weltmeister 140lb springs in my car.

The Weltmeister springs are shorter then the stock springs. So the spring moves all around between the top and bottom spring holder. I haven't put the car down on the ground yet but I'm assuming it will set properly when I do.

My question is do I need to worry about everything seating properly? Will the spring seat correctly in the top and bottom spring holder every time I raise and lower the car?

Thanks Chris.

1972 1.7L Porsche 914
1973 2.0L VW Thing
http://www.cassidy-online.com
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(chris914 @ Sep 11 2004, 03:34 AM)
My question is do I need to worry about everything seating properly? Will the spring seat correctly in the top and bottom spring holder every time I raise and lower the car?

Standard procedure is to zip-tie the spring to the top perch so you know it is always seated properly. You can see the lower perch when the car is on the ground, so it will be easy to make sure it is seated correctly when you lower the car.
chris914
How do I attach them using the zip-ties. Should I drill some holes in the spring perch?

Also the car had older Koni shocks on it. I'm not sure of the order of the parts. I looked at the service manual and it is not 100% clear. There are no supplementary springs either. Should I get some?

Thanks Chris.

1972 Porsche 914
1973 VW Thing
http://www.cassidy-online.com
maf914
Chris,

Check the Haynes 914 manual, page 94, for an exploded diagram of the shock/sping assembly. It does show a supplemental rubber spring on the shock rod.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(chris914 @ Sep 11 2004, 12:52 PM)
How do I attach them using the zip-ties. Should I drill some holes in the spring perch?

Yes, drill 2 or 3 quarter inch holes.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 11 2004, 09:14 AM)
Check the Haynes 914 manual, page 94, for an exploded diagram of the shock/sping assembly. It does show a supplemental rubber spring on the shock rod.

except that the Haynes does not show a Bilstein installation. Konis need a bump rubber, Bilsteins don't.

that said, i usually do install them, but i cut at least one of the rings off...
ChrisFoley
I was at a local PCA meeting once, held at the Bilstein warehouse in CT. We were told by their rep. that a bump rubber is required. I think only a small rubber/plastic spacer may be needed to prevent the internals from bottoming and damaging the valve assembly, nothing as big as the original Boge bump rubbers.
Steve
You shouldn't have to tie up the springs with 140lb springs.
I only had to do this with 180lb springs.
The bilstein rears have an adjustable perch.
Just the move circlip up below the plate until the slop is gone.
I'm running bilsteins with weltmeister 140lbs springs and I don't have this problem.
I only had to tie up the hats with 180lb springs because they are shorter.

I'm also using the stock hats with the stock rubber piece on the top.

Steve
maf914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 12 2004, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 11 2004, 09:14 AM)
Check the Haynes 914 manual, page 94, for an exploded diagram of the shock/sping assembly.  It does show a supplemental rubber spring on the shock rod.

except that the Haynes does not show a Bilstein installation. Konis need a bump rubber, Bilsteins don't.

that said, i usually do install them, but i cut at least one of the rings off...

Rich,

Thanks for the Bilstien info. Do you know if Koni recommends a bump rubber?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 13 2004, 05:41 AM)
Do you know if Koni recommends a bump rubber?

Koni do not recommend it, they REQUIRE it. the foot valve will definitely be damaged by bottoming.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.