Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to look for when inspecting Lifters/Cam...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I recently broke in my 2258 build- 20 minutes at 2800rpm. After a few minor issues, everything seemed to go well. It was advised by Jake in a different post that I check my lifters after the break in. He advised that because I chose to use a Scat camshaft and Scat lifters.

I took the lifters out (and marked which hole they came from). What am I looking for when inspecting them? Also, I cannot really see the cam however is there anything I should look for there?

Here is a picture of one of the lifters. All of them look the same. There just looks to be some minor scuffing. The end of the lifters are still flat- just like new.

(there is some lint visible on the lifter end- those are not cracks or gouges. I will clean them with a lint free cloth prior to putting them back in)
VaccaRabite
what you are checking, I think, is to make sure that the cam lobes did not go flat during break in.

You are going to need to rotate the engine and inspect the cam lobes.

In the pic above, you thumb is in perfect focus, but the lifter face is not. Have a different pic?

Zach
tornik550
I just have some crappy cell pictures. This pic the best I could come up with.

I turned the engine and the lobes look to be equally intact. I cantrue faint lines that were on the cam from when it was new. That seems to be an obvious sign that the cam is ok. Other observations are that there were no metal fragments or chunks in my oil. The valve lash was only very slightly looser than before the break in. Everything else seems normal (however I am new at this stuff). Anything else to look for?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.