Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for 6 owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
I was changing my oil and I notice a leak coming from between the valve cover and the back of the chain tensioner housing!

There are no leaks on the top of the motor and no leaks from the oil return tubes but there is a gap between the back of the housing and the head that has a bolt in it. I have read that there can be a leak from the rocker arm pivot shaft that is in the general area.

So the question is could the rocker shaft bolt have fallen out and be the bolt that is between the valve cover and the tensioner housing?

Here is a photo of the bolt and where the leak seems to be!
ClayPerrine
Remove the lower valve cover and take the bolt out. That area is not in the oil system. Once it is out, you should be able to see where it came from.

Jeffs9146
Thanks I am waiting to get the valve cover gaskets before removing the cover!

I read in the book 101 Projects for your Porsche 911 that the rocker arm seal can fail in that area and is "a 911 mechanics best-kept secret"! And, that is in the general location of the #4 cylinder, looks like exhaust, rocker arm!?

I was hoping someone had some kind of idea where the leak might be coming from as well as what kind of bolt can "just appear" in that location!?
ClayPerrine
It is entirely possible it is the bolt out of the center of the rocker arm. But I can't tell from the picture. Best way is to take the valve cover off and take a look.

Make sure you drain the oil first. When the engine is off, the tank will drain back to the sump, and it fills up the lower end of the valve covers too.

tomeric914
It's more likely that the O ring between the chain box and cylinder head is beginning to leak. I replaced both of mine with the engine in the car. Not easy, but mine doesn't leak a drop from that area now. Took about 8 hours total to do both sides.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Feb 24 2012, 08:14 PM) *

It's more likely that the O ring between the chain box and cylinder head is beginning to leak. I replaced both of mine with the engine in the car. Not easy, but mine doesn't leak a drop from that area now. Took about 8 hours total to do both sides.

Wow you did that with the motor in!!??

Don't you have to take off the timing chain and cam gear to get the chain box off??

I don't even want to think about it!@!$$#$#%$@* headbang.gif
6freak
popcorn[1].gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 24 2012, 11:25 PM) *

Don't you have to take off the timing chain and cam gear to get the chain box off??

Yep. Here's a lnk to the abridged version:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1500608
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Feb 25 2012, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 24 2012, 11:25 PM) *

Yep. Here's a lnk to the abridged version:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1500608

pray.gif pray.gif

If I have a work party would you come and visit for 20+hours of work!
tomeric914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Feb 26 2012, 01:50 AM) *

If I have a work party would you come and visit for 20+hours of work!

Sure, but we're on opposite coasts. I'll be in Vegas in a couple of weeks, but that's still too far away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.