Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keepin' it Cool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
Some of you california 914 owners may notice, it gets pretty freakin hot down here in the Low Desert and High Desert areas. Throw in stop-and-go traffic and you've got some nearly overheating issues on your air-cooled.

I'm wondering if there's an inexpensive way to keep my 914 temp down. Before 8AM and after 6PM in the summer time i don't have to worry so much, but any other part of the day i'm like ΒΌ of an inch from the red on my temp gauge. So, i have a few questions...

1) What is the temperature range of the temp gauge? I have a '75 with AFC if that makes a difference...
2) I already have an external oil cooler. Mine however is mounted in the rear by the engine/trans (will take a picture eventually). Can i move it up to the front sort of like on 911's with the remote oil cooler and "trumpet" type tubing in the wheel well?
3) How much will that reduce my temp?

Just thinking of a most affordable way. This car is my Daily Deutschebag, and making it reliable (and running cool) is most important. Thanks for the assistance driving.gif
SirAndy
front oil cooler is the only way to go. the engine bay/under the trunk coolers just don't do enough.

it'll drop 30/40 deg. easy ...

you should be running around 200F, on a really hot day (100F outside at TH race track running all day) 220F ...

you go over 240F and you're cooking your engine!
wink.gif Andy
SpecialK
Anything you can do to get the oil cooler away from the heat of the engine compartment will be a definite improvement in cooling. A lot of guys mount it in the front trunk and duct it out the bottom.

As far as I'm concerned the stock temp gauges are nothing more than an analog idiot light. I have a pair of TSO'd Westach aircraft EGT/CHT combo gauges for accuracy when I get my '73 up and running (project completion date 2025 at this rate <_< ).
ChrisReale
Do a search on any Porsche board, and you will find the question about the stock gauge....

The answer is always the same. make sure your sender and gauge match, and get one with numbers.

Make sure you are running quality oil in a 20-50 or 15-50 viscosity, and the A/F ratio is set correctly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.