Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $2400 later....does it look any different?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Some may remember (if you are totally bored and spend all your time on this forum) that I bought this Zambezi Green '74 just before Christmas. It was bought it sight unseen so you never know what you are going to get.

The seller was pretty good about describing the rust issues and that the carbs would need to be adjusted for sea level. What he did not mention was that the transmission was in need of some serious work.

So, I took the car to a local Porsche indie (the Eastern racers on this forum know him...Bob Woodman ...the tire guy) and $2400 later I have a rebuilt transmission from Dr. Evil installed (Thank you, Mike), new T/O bearing, a new RMS and other seals, and fully synchronized carbs. Here's the "new" look!

IPB Image

I've driven the car around 50 miles today and I'm very pleased. The remaining work:
1. Adjust the clutch - the clutch engages/disengages right at floor. I would like for it to engage right in the middle of the range. Which way do I need to adjust the cable at the transmission end to make that happen?
2. The clutch cable tube is loose and is actually up in the tunnel. I guess the only way to get that fixed is to get access to the tunnel and get the tube back in place?

The car back at home:

IPB Image

euro911
You'll need to tighten up the adjustment slightly (maybe multiple times) to get it where you want it to disengage. If you have to adjust it often, it could be caused by the cable stretching, the tube in the tunnel pulling further away from it's mounting point(s), or possibly a bending roll-pin in the clutch pedal arm at the foot pedal assembly.

Car is looking nice smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Before you start adjusting the clutch cable, you have to re-weld the clutch tube. Without that being firmly in place, adjustments are not going to do anything good for your car. Fix the tube, and the clutch cable adjustment will be a piece of cake.

Zach
dlee6204
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 25 2012, 05:06 PM) *

Before you start adjusting the clutch cable, you have to re-weld the clutch tube. Without that being firmly in place, adjustments are not going to do anything good for your car. Fix the tube, and the clutch cable adjustment will be a piece of cake.

Zach

agree.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 25 2012, 02:16 PM) *

Zach

agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif ask me how I know. dry.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 25 2012, 04:40 PM) *

Zach

agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
billh1963
Looks like it's unanimous! Guess I'll be working on a clutch tube now.
aharder
QUOTE(Rusty @ Feb 25 2012, 05:51 PM) *

Zach

agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
euro911
I was having to readjust the clutch on my wife's car so much that I finally took everything apart. Inspection in the tunnel revealed that the clutch tube was fully intact, the pressure plate, was fine ... ended up just being the cable dry.gif

agree.gif If you know for sure your tube's come undone, then by all means ... welder.gif
jimkelly
here is the fix ...

i assume there are less pathetic ways to do it also idea.gif
Tom
Anyway, clutch adjustments aside, that is a nice looking car. smile.gif
Tom
Eric_Shea
i assume there are less pathetic ways to do it also

No, no, no... that's pure beauty! From the tin can opener to the "Stanley" bracket from Home Depot. I don't think clutch tube repairs get much better than that! av-943.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 25 2012, 07:22 PM) *

If you know for sure your tube's come undone, then by all means ... welder.gif

Tube is free floating....

That was another undisclosed "feature" dry.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 25 2012, 04:52 PM) *

i assume there are less pathetic ways to do it also

No, no, no... that's pure beauty! From the tin can opener to the "Stanley" bracket from Home Depot. I don't think clutch tube repairs get much better than that! av-943.gif

Body putty? That'd work right? blink.gif
euro911
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 25 2012, 04:40 PM) *
here is the fix ...

i assume there are less pathetic ways to do it also idea.gif
IPB Image
Looks like a good place to shoot some of that Eastwood Internal Frame Coating spray idea.gif
JeffBowlsby
Fix it this way....Much mo better. No need to cut the center tunnel, just access the tube by removing the shifter and plug weld it to the side of the tunnel.
Tom
Jeff,
Can you give more details on your method? I like it!
Thanks,
Tom
billh1963
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 26 2012, 10:14 AM) *

Fix it this way....Much mo better. No need to cut the center tunnel, just access the tube by removing the shifter and plug weld it to the side of the tunnel.

Looks like a good solution!
Prospectfarms

Jeff,
Thanks,
Tom

Aye, no good deed goes unpunished. When I first saw photo I thought it was a joke suggestion to embed the tubes in concrete within the tunnel! Bad eyes, overactive imagination.

Are those "spot welds" in photo the plug welds as seen from the outside bonding the clutch tube to the inside of the tunnel? What's the white stuff?

Thanks a lot.

Dr Evil
agree.gif bad tube = short lived transmission/clutch/TOB/etc.

Just for the record, MY charge was only PART of the $2500 bill wink.gif Dont want to frighten off potential clients biggrin.gif
bembry
QUOTE(aharder @ Feb 25 2012, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Rusty @ Feb 25 2012, 05:51 PM) *

Zach

agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif Yep..been there too.
billh1963
QUOTE(Dr Tard @ Feb 26 2012, 11:37 AM) *

Just for the record, MY charge was only PART of the $2500 bill wink.gif Dont want to frighten off potential clients biggrin.gif

Absolutely!

By the way....Bob Woodman says that's one of the nicest shifting rebuilds he's seen! Excellent job by the doctor!

I'll be bringing the old transmission to the clinic...it's going to need some bearings!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 26 2012, 12:44 PM) *

Absolutely!

By the way....Bob Woodman says that's one of the nicest shifting rebuilds he's seen! Excellent job by the doctor!
agree.gif

I'll be bringing the old transmission to the clinic...it's going to need some bearings!

I had the pleasure of being the first to test drive this car and other than the issue of the tube between 3-4the shifting it was smooth, I am so looking forward to the clinic and getting my transmission as well! Really a nice driving car Bill!
aktion035.gif
Dr Evil

Absolutely!

Dude! I love hearing stuff like that from the old pros smile.gif Thanks for reporting.
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 26 2012, 01:47 PM) *

Absolutely!

agree.gif

I had the pleasure of being the first to test drive this car and other than the issue of the tube between 3-4the shifting it was smooth, I am so looking forward to the clinic and getting my transmission as well! Really a nice driving car Bill!
aktion035.gif

I'm glad I was following Phil back to my house....I wasn't sure he was going to stop! driving.gif
DRPHIL914
Doc, when I was there he said, I don't know where he got that but it was an excellent build. His background is 30 years in porsche Aircooled racing and mechanics, and a mechanical engeneering degree from georgia tech. Also one of the guys that occasionally helps out in the shop is a 50 year veteran of porsche , originally from germany he apprenticed with porsche at the age.of 15 So I would say it was a nice complement.
first.gif "
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 26 2012, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 26 2012, 01:47 PM) *

Absolutely!

agree.gif

aktion035.gif

I'm glad I was following Phil back to my house....I wasn't sure he was going to stop! driving.gif

The thought crossed my mind. poke.gif I almost forgot where I was going.
happy11.gif
JeffBowlsby
Go Here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...tch+tube+repair

QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Feb 26 2012, 08:01 AM) *

Jeff,
Thanks,
Tom

Aye, no good deed goes unpunished. When I first saw photo I thought it was a joke suggestion to embed the tubes in concrete within the tunnel! Bad eyes, overactive imagination.

Are those "spot welds" in photo the plug welds as seen from the outside bonding the clutch tube to the inside of the tunnel? What's the white stuff?

Thanks a lot.
Tom
Thanks Jeff! biggrin.gif
Tom
SUNAB914
That too bad about the tube, but at least you can get it fixed. Nice picture of your cars.
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Feb 27 2012, 08:51 AM) *

That too bad about the tube, but at least you can get it fixed. Nice picture of your cars.

997 might be leaving soon. I'll have room for a certain white 914 I know about happy11.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 27 2012, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Feb 27 2012, 08:51 AM) *

997 might be leaving soon. I'll have room for a certain white 914 I know about happy11.gif

you are't selling your 997 are you? poke.gif i think that would be a mistake. that white 914 you are referring to, the one at your other house? poke.gif
i may be making a mistake here letting that slide thru my fingers! slap.gif but i know as often as you buy/sell/trade it would be in good hands until i would have room for another - and i have't decided yet--- but you will be the first to know poke.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 27 2012, 09:34 AM) *

you are't selling your 997 are you? poke.gif i think that would be a mistake. that white 914 you are referring to, the one at your other house? poke.gif
i may be making a mistake here letting that slide thru my fingers! slap.gif but i know as often as you buy/sell/trade it would be in good hands until i would have room for another - and i have't decided yet--- but you will be the first to know poke.gif

You know where that white 914 sits...LOL

Someone has made me a very good offer for my 997....a good bit more than what I paid. I'm thinking of selling and getting a GT3.
SUNAB914
popcorn[1].gif
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Feb 27 2012, 09:56 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I think you enjoy this too much! biggrin.gif
ww914

I also sold a 997 for more than I paid for it. Couldn't pass it up. Now into 914s. Haven't regretted it yet.

By the way, the green 914 looks great. Good job on the tube fix.
billh1963
QUOTE(ww914 @ Feb 27 2012, 10:34 AM) *

I sold a 997 to get into 914s. Haven't regretted it yet.

By the way, the green 914 looks great. Good job on the tube fix.

Well...I have to admit that I love my 997....it's the best 911 I've owned.

If I sell I will get another one. I'm thinking an earlier 997 GT3.

That being said, I really enjoy 914's. They are immensely fun, very inexpensive (compared to the 911) and woefully under appreciated. I believe my future will always have a couple 914's in it! driving.gif
SUNAB914
Having a weak moment, someone better jump. stirthepot.gif
scotty b
so does this mean you dropped the Boxter hunt Phil ? stirthepot.gif poke.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 26 2012, 11:14 AM) *

Clutch tube was fixed this week using the method Jeff described above. The transformation is amazing. Between the repaired clutch tube, a new shift bushing. and Dr. Evil's transmission this car shifts fantastically! (well...for a 914. anyway smile.gif )
Dr Evil
It will never shift like a Honduh, but it will be close smile.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 27 2012, 10:13 PM) *

so does this mean you dropped the Boxter hunt Phil ? stirthepot.gif poke.gif

nope- I bought the boxter, but enjoy driving the 914, and I am sure eve more sol when the transmission is rebuilt dr.evil style, new bushings etc. Hoping to eliminate those pesky leaks. Seems like bill and i are in a contest to see who can do more or should I say spend more on their 914car in a year, LOL. But I hear that it is coming up your way soon Scotty, so I guess he may win if that is the case. poke.gif

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 15 2012, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 26 2012, 11:14 AM) *

Clutch tube was fixed this week using the method Jeff described above. The transformation is amazing. Between the repaired clutched tube, a new shift bushing. and Dr. Evil's transmission this car shifts fantastically! (well...for a 914. anyway smile.gif )

And now just tho spread the wealth around, its rust repair time.
poke.gif
billh1963
These cars get expensive...fast!

Bringing this one up with me to leave with Scotty and bringing another one back! I must be... screwy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.