Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: batteries?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I've had two Optima's die this winter. Granted, they were both about 8 years old.

I priced a new one - ouch. That should come with lube. sheeplove.gif

Rumors are that the newer Optimas aren't what the old ones were.

What are the cool kids running these days?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rusty @ Feb 25 2012, 04:02 PM) *
I've had two Optima's die this winter. Granted, they were both about 8 years old.

I have heard the same rumors. I still have my trusty old optima but i'll be looking for something else when it dies ...

idea.gif
tod914
I seen the Optima 35s for about $150.00 online shipped. About 8 pounds less than the 34R, and fits just fine. I'm at the crossroad too. Also looking.
wndsnd
Bought a Napa today for 104.00 minus 12.00 core refund
RickS
Keep a trickle charger on my red top, and is going strong after six years
campbellcj
You could consider a dry battery such as the Odyssey PC925.
Porschef
They show volume discounts....group buy?
tod914
Possibly interested, depending on price. I pressume you have to modify the tray to secure it?
underthetire
My brother manages a high end customs shop. He will no longer sell red tops to his customers. They have had the plates break loose on new batteries. Yellow or blue was fine. I have an orbital battery that has been perfect.
KENNY
QUOTE(Rusty @ Feb 25 2012, 04:02 PM) *

I been using odysse very small battery and is very light
914Sixer
I only use Interstate Group 42 batteries.
Gint
I've heard the same rumors. The old ones kicked ass. I got more than 8 years out the last old redtop I had. Sadly all of my old redtops are now gone.
ClayPerrine
We have an Orange top Optima (the original reverse post of the red top) in Betty's car. Been there for at least a decade, and still going strong. She wants to keep it because it matches the car.

biggrin.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 26 2012, 08:41 AM) *

You could consider a dry battery such as the Odyssey PC925.

When my standard battery dies I will go with one of these!! smile.gif
brp986s
I put the 925 in the front of my 914 3.2 and my 911 3.2 a couple years ago. No problems so far. There are some upfront costs tho - Rennline makes a nice mount kit and you'll also need the special charger. The 925 is 21lb and saved a ton compared to the stock 46lb boat anchor in the 911.
jcambo7
Odyssey's are good batteries. Light weight and dependable.
Andyrew
I'll let you know how mine does.. Got a 6 month old batt in the Audi, holds a charge great. I have a 4 year old batt in the 914, Also holding a charge great.

6 month old is a yellow, 4 year old is a red. Planning on switching after the Audi goes back to DD status.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.