Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It sounded like a good idea....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
It started out as a little cosmetic job, you know, pull the interior, clean it up real good, check the back glass (which incidentally was not attached at all), and hey, I got this new black carpet, I think I'll put that in....what a friggin' nightmare! I go to unbolt the lower seat belt bolts and all I hear is "crunch", and off comes the bolt, with a big chunk of metal.... ohmy.gif . That's right, the inner longs are rusted to shit! headbang.gif Pics tomorrow....It looks like this weeks after work project will be "how to turn an old door, into a long. repair patch" mad.gif
SirAndy
glad it didn't rip out when you really needed it the most.
scary to think that you trusted your life to that rusted bolt ...

icon8.gif Andy
Allan
That sucks royally. But I agree. good thing you found out the way you did. ohmy.gif Let us know how it goes.
STL914
Same thing happened to me last year when I replaced the black interior of my white 74 with a tan interior.

I stopped before I ripped the long and decided to cut the carpet to fit around the seat belt bolt. This also prevented me from installing my 4-point harnesses.

Five months later I retired the car and removed the tan interior.
nebreitling
sounds like andy's famous clutch repair.

sorry to hear about the rust.
jr91472
I feel your pain. These cars are like endangered species. Jump on it now, maybe you can save it.

I literally just finished restoring my floor pans. 2 weeks ago I would have told you than my 914 was fairly rust free. Then I started digging around the tar floor mats.

scary sad.gif
SpecialK
You guys are right, better to find it now! I just hate these kinds of suprises. headbang.gif Passenger's side is in the same condition, along with a couple holes in the firewall. Pedal area is LOADED with rust, I'm almost afraid to start digging around. Well, time to break out the welder.gif
michelko
Man, i feel with you sad.gif
This is the way i went into the world of rust. barf.gif
This is m passenger side, the driver side feels strong.
Posted in an other thread the repair of that shit.
maybe it is helpfull for you.
Fix it, it is a very good feeling to get that old cars back on the street.
SpecialK
QUOTE(michelko @ Sep 12 2004, 02:39 PM)
Man, i feel with you sad.gif
This is the way i went into the world of rust. barf.gif
This is m passenger side, the driver side feels strong.
Posted in an other thread the repair of that shit.
maybe it is helpfull for you.
Fix it, it is a very good feeling to get that old cars back on the street.

Thanks, I'll do a search for the repair thread, I'm gonna need it. Pretty sinking feeling when I started pulling up the carpet. I don't even want to talk about the pedal area pinch.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.