Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: console and dash face rebuild, INSTALLED!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
so, last week i decided it was time to tackle my ugly ripped console and dash face. i got everything out, took off the old vinyl and cleaned it all up.
went and got myself some black and red vinyl and contact cement.

3 days later:
SirAndy
more
SirAndy
no holes yet ...
SirAndy
more ...
STL914
Andy,

Where'd you find the red edging material used on the console? I need to redo my console and this looks like the best approach.

Can't wait to see the red dash pieces installed. Looks great.
tod914
Nice job with the piping on the console edges.
seanery
what the hell kind of newspaper is that! ohmy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(STL914 @ Sep 11 2004, 07:57 PM)
Where'd you find the red edging material used on the console?

red electrical wire! laugh.gif

works great. the edge of the console is plastic with a large groove. i cut the vinyl from both sides to meet right in the middle, then pressed in the wire. i fucked up on a few spots, but that was because of my cutting. it looks great otherwise.

i have no idea how to stitch vinyl, so this was a fairly easy option.

i'll install it tomorrow and post more pics,
cool.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 11 2004, 08:12 PM)
what the hell kind of newspaper is that!  :o

SF style ...

we get that kind of stuff here by the boat-load.
they have a whole section about girlfriends (read: more then one!) looking for guys to play with!
biggrin.gif Andy
morph
QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 11 2004, 07:12 PM)
what the hell kind of newspaper is that! ohmy.gif

my thoughts exactly!!!

console looks great!!!

Hiedi
rick 918-S
Very nice Sir... aktion035.gif
red914
sweet! i can't wait to see pics of it installed!
Allan
Nice!! (The newspaper is kinda weird) It looks great!! Post installation pics please.... biggrin.gif
SirAndy
done !
SirAndy
what i have learned this weekend:

lesson 1: don't assume anything to be the way you would like it to be. TEST-FIT everything before you put the double sided tape on it. headbang.gif

lesson 2: early style dash face plates don't fit very well around a late style steering column! headbang.gif

lesson 3: don't get dirty grease on your fingers when you handle bright colored vinyl! headbang.gif

lesson 4: a rollcage crossbar can interfere with the lower dash in a way that it moves just enough down to leave a small gap between the dash face and the chrome lip. headbang.gif

lesson 5: there are *NO* tolerances inbetween the plates, even the thickness of wrap around the edges vinyl is too much and the next piece won't fit right! headbang.gif

lesson 6: make sure you have *all* pieces needed to finish the job! headbang.gif

lesson 7: don't get mad at the chrome trim around the heater controls. yes, you'll get it off with brute force but it won't be pretty! headbang.gif

lesson 8: never, ever, sandblast the entire car! headbang.gif

i'm having a beer now ...
beer3.gif Andy
SirAndy
piece missing ...

i has been over 2 years since i took those dash pieces off, so i guess i just lost the last one that goes in the far corner. oh well, gotta redo the whole thing anyways.
SirAndy
more ...
Trekkor
That is cool...
I like new ideas and goin' off the board. Good job.

You forgot one thing

Lesson 9: SF Bay Area has freaky newspaper headbang.gif

KT
lapuwali
Trekkor, thou should not cast stones. By most measures, Napa is part of the SF Bay Area. As the crow flies, Napa is closer to SF than San Jose.

What no one has bothered to comment on is the fact that this was obviously done inside Andy's house, and there are clearly a set of mounted gravel-covered slicks in his living room. When I was w/o a garage, at least I stored my AX tires in the back hallway. biggrin.gif

Great work on the dash bits. I've been avoiding a center console, as I rather like the open center section, but I'm reconsidering with such a nice job done. That roll cage also looks much easier to live with day to day than many I've seen. In particular, I like the forward position of the downtube near the A-pillar. Most are back farther (to clear the dash, rather than go through it), but that makes getting out a lot harder, esp. for those of us with older, stiffer bodies.
neo914-6
smilie_pokal.gif Nice work Andy!
It gave me some ideas...
Lesson 9: SF Bay Area has freaky newspaper  

Doesn't every major city?? San Jose has the "Metro"
Felix
Aaron Cox
i want to do my dash face in brushed aluminum idea.gif

you guys think that would be cool?
Trekkor
Aluminum dash... clap56.gif

Newspapers are the least of my worries...Believe me. ohmy.gif

As for working on cars in the house.
I do it all the time. wink.gif

KT
seanery
Aaron, yesterday on "Trucks" they did a stainless steel gauge face. I looked pretty nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.