Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holy Mothers of Chrome Polish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
Since the weather here sux, but needed to get out of the house into the garage, I decided to do something which was a regular part of cleaning a car when these were new in early 70s. Got out the Mothers metal cleaner and hit the bumpers, door pulls, mirror, trim, and other bright work and was amazed at the crap which came off. More amazing was the resulting shine. It will never be a concours car, but getting off years of ground in bugs, oil and tar made one helluva difference. Try it one of these days when you don't want to take on a real project and want a little instant gratification. No suggestions for the impact bumper cars except some rubber cleaner and dressing. Oh also used some Forever Black on the bumper tops - looking good.
Mr.242
Peanut oil is the best for the bumper tops. Long time 914 guy told me this. I tried it on an old and bad bumper top to validate his claim. I am amazed at it's ability to re-energize the rubber tops.

I would think that winter time is the best time to do this and let it set.

Nice job polishing. I love MOHTER's Metal Polish.

stugray
just watched an auction on tv tonight.
you think you have chrome to polish.....

IPB Image

def. one of the coolest cars I have ever seen.......

Stu
Elliot Cannon
The owner of that car can pay someone to polish it for him. laugh.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Feb 25 2012, 09:07 PM) *

Peanut oil is the best for the bumper tops. Long time 914 guy told me this. I tried it on an old and bad bumper top to validate his claim. I am amazed at it's ability to re-energize the rubber tops.

I would think that winter time is the best time to do this and let it set.

Nice job polishing. I love MOHTER's Metal Polish.

Is my car gonna smell like Chinese food?
jmill
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
RickS
I knew the picture issue would come up. Unless extremely high resoluton was used, which I do not own, I doubt it would ever show. So ya either got to take my word for it, or try it yourself.
jonferns
QUOTE(RickS @ Feb 26 2012, 08:07 PM) *

I knew the picture issue would come up. Unless extremely high resoluton was used, which I do not own, I doubt it would ever show. So ya either got to take my word for it, or try it yourself.

Wouldn't mind seeing a photo of your car anyway poke.gif
jmill
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Feb 26 2012, 07:12 PM) *

Wouldn't mind seeing a photo of your car anyway poke.gif

agree.gif

Mine is up on jackstands. I live vicariously through the folks that have drivers.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 26 2012, 08:53 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.