Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Lifing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
The stars aligned tonight. Mars, Jupiter, Venus, and the moon. It's February 25 and 70 degrees. And somehow I'm inclined to work on the 914 tomorrow.

Question. By myself, I need to move the 2.0 motor from the floor up onto
a furniture dolly so I can get it from storage to the garage and to the car and I don't want a hernia. It's on the ground.

I'm thinking of a home made engine lift. Bolting about a 12' 2x4 to the pivoting head on a engine stand - making a lever on the pivot point of the stand. Then using 1" web straps in an X around the motor, lift it up and onto the dolly.

?? 1. Will a 2x4 on edge be strong enough to make the lift?
?? 2. will the web straps around the motor be strong enough to make the lift?
?? 3. will the straps around the motor be OK without bending or breaking anything?
?? 4. Other Suggestions?

blink.gif
jimkelly
oh come on.

is the engine bar still on it?

lift one bar and slide something under it.

do the same on other side.

then lift trans a kick dolly under entire unit.

Elliot Cannon
Hell, even I can do that. And I'm old enough for medicare!!!! poke.gif lol-2.gif
BritCarJim
which begs the question: with ancillaries but without the transmission, how much does the engine weigh?
VaccaRabite
Grab the engine bar and lift with your legs. When its up high enough, kick the dolly under it. go to the other side and do the same thing. Wiggle it until it sits how you want it on the dolly.

I've done this several times. It not hard, don't over think it. Use the engine bar as a big lever and go for it.
URY914
It is easier to handle than you think.
Tom
agree.gif with the above, and no the 2X4 isn't strong enough ( especially if it is pretty long). Now a 4X4, I would trust that!
Tom
TheCabinetmaker
Jesus! Don't be such a wuss. I'm 63, 5'6", 160 lb. I've installed dozens of engines by myself. Just do like Zach and Jim said. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Just get it done!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.