Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A beginning - getting my 914 back on the road
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
So I've been wanting to work on the 914 and due to various reasons (most of which are not self-imposed) it has yet to happen quickly. I'd dropped the engine last year to do seals and gaskets. Once I did that, I also decided to take care of some other stuff - address some rust that is probably my fault in the hell-hole (I was warned, but didn't heed it very well).

After the lunch yesterday and talk of a potential Talimena run, I started stripping the car to see how bad other rust was. I was aware of the fiberglass patch on the passenger side, but didn't expect the rust on the inside firewall.

I know a couple of guys up here who quite well know their way with a welder and have offered to lend me their time, expertise and shop for a short period. I'll be making some calls this week to see when they're free so I can take them up their offers.

So, the carnage. Compared to a great number of others, the beginnings don't seem that bad, but I've only just started and have yet to even strip all the tar out. I want to have this road worthy in about 2 months. Probably a little aggressive on the timeframe but something to work towards....

Need to get the shop vac after some of these places and finish getting the tar up.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And the one that worries me most...

Click to view attachment
billh1963
Compared to what I've seen, I'm sure that disappointing but very fixable.

If that's your only rust it's not that big of a deal IMHO.
MBowman325
Not overly disappointing, as I was expecting something like that.

An AGM or dry cell battery will be on my shopping list once it's ready to drive again though.
MBowman325
I've been updating the blog page, still shooting to have the car roadworthy by the last weekend in April.

Here's a question - I'd picked up some 3/8" spot weld cutter bits... Is this a bit large to be using to drill out the spotwelds?

Should be buying sheet metal within the next couple of weeks or so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.