Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I developed a clunk while going on/off throttle and starting from a stop. I'm assuming it's a bad cvjoint. The inner drivers side has the most play in it, so I removed it. It doesn't appear damaged, however the outer race is a bit worn. It's uneven when I run my fingers along the grooves. Should it be replaced or just repacked?

jimkelly
looks and sounds like you problem might be in your trans ??

that said, eric shea sells brand new cvs
pcar916
Light grooving is acceptable but deep grooves can "clunk", especially when combined with other cv's in the same condition on the same axle. You should definitely take a look at both on any given axle since they're a "system". If they were installed at the same time and one is worn the other is likely worn too.

That one looks on the edge to me, although the resolution isn't quite high enough to show if there is galling (metal transfer) which is terminal.

Good luck!
Valy
Visible wear is usually a bad sign on those.
Having said that, you can still reuse them until they're completely dead.
I ran clanking axles for 20k miles until I sold the car.
Krieger
Did you try laying under the car and shaking the engine/trans, exhaust listening for a clunk? Could be a bad engine /trans mount.
blitZ
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 26 2012, 11:49 PM) *

Did you try laying under the car and shaking the engine/trans, exhaust listening for a clunk? Could be a bad engine /trans mount.

Yes, I checked everything and have narrowed it down to the cv. Think I'll just replace it, while it's out..

Thanks folks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.