Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAF
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I just got back from the GAF in Ventura. I don't have any pics for ya but I'm sure someone will. Lunch at the Casa Sirena was great. I think there were about 30 people there. I stayed at the hotel Saturday night and wasn't too impressed. The place we stayed at for this years WCC was much nicer. The Casa Sirena could be a first rate resort if someone wanted to buy it and spend a lot of bucks renovating. The place was OK but I just think we could do better. Just my dos centavos. I picked up some useless things at the swap meet so I consider that portion of the weekend a success. All the venders were there. Said hi to Brad at the Wevo booth. I think I saw more 914 people at lunch on Sat. than were there on Sunday. A few couldn't stick around. There were probably about 8 914s I saw. They were parked all over the place. We need to establish a 914 corral at these events. When I pulled into the parking area, I asked the guy "where is the 914 parking?" The jerk said ,"there isn't any 914 parking." I said,"bullshit! I know where it's at." The jerk says "where?" And I say"anywhere I'm parked". He laughed and waved me through. My feeling is the 914 just doesn't get the respect it deserves. We need to work on that.
Cheers, Elliot
Steve
I brought my teener today to the GAF.
I also asked about the teener parking.
I got the same story.
I talked to my 993 friends and they said they always meet somewhere ahead of time so they can all arrive together and park together.
We should try to do the same thing next time.

I had a great time and enjoyed talking to Brad at the Wevo exhibit.
I wish I had the money for a wevo 916 trans and shifter.
They had all the shifters setup and and these shifters are priceless.

Ahwell maybe next year.

Steve
Joe Bob
Casa Sirena suxed....
markb
Gee, Mike, tell us how you really feel...... biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
dude...im sure howard spent lots of time on this suggested place finger.gif if your all drunk- what does it matter if the place is nice or not laugh.gif
J P Stein
Did anyone see (better still, take a pic of) the 914 that Rothsport just got done with? I heard it was there for it's debut. ....Ginther windscreen, 3.8L killer motor.
SLITS
There is a wing that needs to be renovated. There is a wing that has been renovated. There is a wing that is old, but suitable - kinda like an older Motel 6.

If Howard's plan had come to frutition, those that stayed would have been in the wing that was renovated, but the management screwed up - whether it was lack of care or just stupidity, I can't say.

The room I stayed in was the last that I described. Overlooking the marina (whoppee), it was a "family unit" complete with reefer (cold one, not the smokeable one), microwave, stove and coffee maker (I like that). Unit was clean, but just older. Some scratches on the counter, etc, but suitable, depending upon the price. No A/C, but you could jump from the veranda into the channel.

The Prundale Inn was nice, but it had it oddities too (the people that stayed there laugh.gif ).

Personally, I could tolerate the place for the purpose we intend it for, as the Corona gay boy said. And by the way, Tequila makes everything look good, even Elliot, Joe and Mike. Otto..., well....., I don't think I could drink enough biggrin.gif

Brad was unrecgonizable since he is attempting to clean up his act. He and the NoCal contingent comandered the left end of the table and threw up the Berlin Wall. Poor Bernie was ostracised to his own table, as no one wanted to catch the old disease. rolleyes.gif

MikeZ sat at the right hand end of the table looking like he just came off a three day drug binge. His attention was drawn to two ladies near-by, which he commenced to drool down their blouses. Fortunately, he arrived with his pants on. BTW, he stayed at the Motel 6, more fitting his stature.

For the person that lost the "Intercourse " hat, it was last seen on the head of a southern brother sitting in the back of a mule cart, stopped on Hiway 1 by the INS.

The location is suitable and access to the usual shit is easy. Now, if we beat on the management to get their act straight, we could have a real good time by calling 909-u swallow. lol2.gif

My $1.00 worth - inflation ya know.
Steve
I saw it but dummy me I didn't get any pictures.
I thought the rear trunk lid was way cool.
It slid back and then opened up from the front.
The hinges were on the rear.
It made it much easier to see and work on the motor.
We should get them to make it into a kit.

Steve
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 12 2004, 07:22 PM)
as the Corona gay boy said.

i got your gay right here ghetto boy! ar15.gif chairfall.gif

ron..how many times have i told you i hate you? laugh.gif

bring on the poetry ron...i'll smoke you like a joint smoke.gif
carreraguy
I was looking for the 914 corral too. After talking to a few of the workers, turns out there was no corral because the head guy for the GAF stated we all had to arrive at the same time in order to establish one area they could send us to; that does make some sense. Bottom line, better organization was required on our part. I counted 12 914's in all.

Next year GAF will feature the 911 Carreras and (according to the Maltese Falcon) rumor has it they will feature the 914 in 2006; that will be the one for all CA 914's to show up for!

Overall I was somewhat disappointed by the turnout; seems like fewer vendors and P-cars showed up this year.
boxstr
The Rothsport 914 is the tub I sold to the owner, Page Stevens, he also owns a Carrera GT and numerous Ferraris.
CCLINSOLDLOTSOFSTUFF
Howard
I posted this on WCC 2005, but ...

I didn't bring a camera, but lots of pix taken. Watch for posts.

MAJOR issues with Casa Sirena. Screwed up reservations, dirty rooms, lousy service. They have refurbed about half the rooms, and I made a point to tell them to put all 914 types in the redone ones. They forgot, and after looking at the second crappy room, Mr. and Mrs. BigKat83 went to Motel 6. They 'lost' Slits' reservation....

Lunch was a social success with about 30 attending and food was pretty good, but it took them an almost an hour to serve us. That's 30; would hate to see them try 130. Expecting call from manager manana. If no major ass kissing, we're going elsewhere.

GAF was nice if you like that sort of thing. So many beautiful cars in one place was overwhelming. Too bad most of them never get driven, but it is neat how they get armorall in the tire grooves. Think there was a seminar on that and truly sorry I missed it.

Unless you were hanging around MikeZ's POS collection with the 914 group, you might think that Porsche owners are not allowed to smile or laugh. Thanks for the chuckles. That's what will make WCC 2005 a winner.

I'll go take my meds now.
Elliot_Cannon
I think the Casa Sirena can still work. It might take a few changes. I had breakfast there this morning and you could tell the staff was just a little overwelmed. Just not enough people to handle the work load. I saw a Sheraton down the street. I wonder if we can get a decent rate there. Anyway... thanks Howard for all the work you have done for the WCC. I know where ever we decide to stay, it will be a good time. Like has been said many times before on this sight it's the people who make this club what it is.
Cheers, Elliot
Elliot_Cannon
Before I have a glass or three of wine, I just gotta mention that I got to see Frankensteen up close for the first time. Ugly, nasty looking and probably in my warped mind the coolest car at the show!
Cheers, Elliot
Joe Bob
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....890#post1508890

Anybody here see the pics of the Porsche(s) versus rail accident?
bryanthompson
Did you guys see this?
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=182285
Train strikes car-carrier in Ventura loaded with vintage Porsches
Sunday September 12, 2004

VENTURA, Calif. (AP) A car-carrier loaded with vintage Porsches was struck by a freight train Sunday after becoming stranded on railroad tracks, officials said.

The accident occurred about 3:45 p.m. near the Ventura County Fairgrounds, said Lt. David Wilson of the Ventura Police Department, who was at the scene.

The car-carrier was ``high-centered'' on the railroad tracks and the driver was trying to maneuver it off the tracks when Wilson arrived.

Wilson said he called to have train traffic stopped, but a northbound freight train came barreling down the track only moments later.

``We were able to get the driver out of the cab, luckily,'' Wilson said.

The driver suffered minor injuries while fleeing from the impact, Wilson said.

The vintage Porsches ``are close to totaled, if not totaled,'' Wilson said.

``The train center-punched the trailer carrying the cars and split the trailer in half, and the cars went flying,'' he said.

No crew members on the train were injured, but the front wheels of the locomotive derailed, said John Bromley, a spokesman for Union Pacific. Debris was being removed from under the locomotive late Sunday night and there was no estimate on when the tracks would be cleared, Bromley said.

so sad... sad.gif
bernbomb914
I beg your pardon I infected 6 poor people with my afflications at our own table. My son and I enjoyed the lunch very much and it was nice to see all the people show up. some came a long way. started to take pics of all the 914 beauties when all the batteries in my case dropped dead so I only gor three cars. bought some stuff at the swap meet and had a good time overall. There were some killer cars at the Renagade booth, Scott had Peral there plus a red 930 conversion and a 928 that I would like to own. nice stuff at wevo and others. I was dissapointed with the swap meet but that a good thing as I have more stuff than I need. I am a sucker for a good deal

Bernie
Elliot_Cannon
I cannot believe the pictures on the Pelican site. What a mess.
Elliot
Aaron Cox
dude..those speedster pics are so terrible icon8.gif

talk about having all your eggs in one basket icon8.gif
ematulac
Those speedster pics sucked. sad.gif

Wish I had the opportunity to attend the GAF with you guys but all my free time has been devoted to the family lately. We headed up to Oxnard this afternoon to hit a not so crowded beach. Didn't have to hit the GAF to see a lot of P-Cars though; I saw many many many P-Cars headed south on the 101 as we headed north. Countless tail draggers, 2 356's, and 2 exotics. No 914's, though. But I did see a 914 headed down Harbor Blvd. in Oxnard. Orange, maybe '74 or '75.

Sounds like everyone had a blast at the GAF. Maybe when the kids are older I can start hanging out with the rest of y'all old farts. biggrin.gif
Gint
I got back home around 10:00 this morning. It was cool meeting some more clubbers. Saturday morning GAF, lunch with 914club crew, afternoon with Brad at Ken Duttewieler's shop, and Saturday night at the dirt track next to the beach. We got into the parking lot and the races for FREE! Great day. Sunday swap meet and hangin out with my 914 pals. It was definitely worth the trip. Kinda wish I stuck around long enough to see the CW P-car/train carnage though.

Kudos to Howard and all of the WCC2005 planning crew. I will not let last year's snafu that killed the trip happen this year.
DonTraver
Well I tried to get there. Rolling up the 405 thru Long Beach real nice. Then started to lose power, top speed 45, pulled over ohmy.gif . I was reading 0-1 psi fuel pressure at idle. Got back on 405, ran fine, then started losing power again. Turned around to head back to San Diego before she died, lost power again, changed out the CDI ignition box, didn't help. Called my step-dad on the cell, asked him if he'd ever replaced the fuel pump (he owned her for 30 years), nope still had the original fuel pump in her. Fired her up, headed south, she ran fine all the way home smilie_pokal.gif . I pulled into the driveway, popped the lid, had 2 psi of fuel pressure.

Today, turned the ignition on, still 2 psi fuel pressure, did it again, 4 psi fuel pressure. That cleared up the problem, and made it clear what was wrong, electrical. Pulled out the original 914 and 914-6 books, found a cracked fuel pump fuse on the engine electical panel. Now I have 5 psi of fuel pressure. Running just great again. Have to say I'm still pretty impressed with Porsche's. 34 year old fuel pump and it's still working.

Oh well, I made it home, any trip I go on, where I get home is a good trip. I was hoping to meet some of you guys and gals at GAF. Better luck at some future event.

By the way, I still have a lot of 75 914-4 parts to give away to who ever wants them. The parts that will fit my 6, I want to keep. Take care all.
Brando
Now i feel bad for not going. But eh, gotta work! there is nexy year, yes?
Duffster
Just in case this ever comes up again, If you ever need to stop a train because something is fouling the tracks, take yer jumper cables or something else that conducts electricity and connect across the rails. This will tell the signal system that the track is occupied and turn the approach signals red. The train can only proceed at "reduced speed" (the speed that could effect a stop in half the sight distance). Go forth, Grasshopper, and use your new-found knowledge for good! cool_shades.gif you too, Miles!
Mike D.
I went on Sunday, had a good time bought some stuff. Did anyone see the two 914 with 3.6 parked out on the grass, one white (Jim Lamonica) and the Orange one...both were very nice.
Did anyone check out the speakers boxes that Renagade was showing. Pretty cool stuff. A bigger speaker in the stock location and a sub woofer box built into the foam block location, You'd just have to warn all your passengers to watch their feet. but well done sounded great too.

-Mike D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.