Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advance timing Light Rooks!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Engman
Benn tuning up my 914 - did the valves then went to set the timing. Loosened the distributor, hooked up my timing light and rpm meter (XR-700 optical trigger so no dwell) and started the car. Cannot find the timing marks. Lokk again and again - no 27 degree mark to be found - yesa engine was at 3500 RPM.

Soooo - I turned off the engine, put the tranny in 5th gear and jacked up the passenger side wheel. This way I can rotate the tire to find the TDC mark. Took the ditributor cap off and rotated the wheel which roated the engine untill I was able to find the tdc mark. Got my daughters nail polish and a small brush and remarked it with red nail polish.

Borrowed a friends advance timing light. Put the car back on the ground and put into netral. Reconnected the distributor and fired it up. WOW - these advance timing lights are soooo cool. It was at 23 degress at 3500 RPM - dailed it in to 27. Sweeeeeeeetttttt! Locked it back down and rechecked. Nailed it!!!

I gotta get one - these are so cool - now you can tell exactly where you are degree wise.

M
Elliot_Cannon
How do they work? Can you tell the advance without seeing a flywheel mark?
Cheers, Elliot
Engman
The one I used had a dial on the back that you turned until the TDC mark showed on the impellor. Look at where it lines up the TDC mark to the impeller and volia read the degree of advance.

M
monkeywrench
What is the make and model???
Engman
Sears - cost - $69.99
Model 21023

It is on my list of thing to get!

BTW - poor speling

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.