Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to pull Dash TOP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
hey guys...gimme some pointers. i need to take off the dash in the AM for it to go to mexico cool.gif

gimme pointers, tips, and tricks. what do i need out of the arsenal of tools?

thanks very much in advance! smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
the top is fairly straight forward.

it's held down by plastic nuts, 13mm if i'm not mistaken. some are rather hard to reach.
take off the gauge cluster and radio for easier access. (also remove the steering wheel) ...

note: if you think you got all the plastic nuts and it's still not moving, you missed one!
wink.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
great! now by chance you have a diagram showing where they all are at? so i dont miss any?

also, how long will this take me?
vortrex
will take 10 min if you know where they all are, tracking them down is the hard part.
boxstr
There is a total of nine plastic and I have seen alloy nuts that hold the dash pad in place.
The most diffcult ones are those located behind the gauges. They are all 14mm nuts.
CCLINSOLDLOTSOFSTUFF
jim912928
I just put my dash back on today. There are 9 nuts all together that hold the dash top pad on. 3 of them go through the front of the dash frame and 6 of them come through the frame from the top. If you get up under there and look, you can easily spot them as the bolts that are attached to the dash are white plastic and the nuts should all be plastic also (10mm I think). If you have an extension and swivels they are not too bad to get out...just have to contort yourself under that dash to see them (take the lower pad off to give you more room.

The ONLY real tricky nuts here are 2...I SAID 2...that attach to the dash from under the instrumet pad. It is not obvious that they are there and if you didn't go there you'd be tugging and tugging and ultimate crack your dash pad. So, to get these you must remove the instrument cluster and you'll see them. Us an open end box wrench to then loosen and remove these. Once you have all these off just lift up and out and off it comes.

If memory serves me...the 3 that run along the front of the dash frame are to the extreme left and right (between the side of the dash frame and the fresh air vents. The 3rd is about in the middle.

Good luck!

Jim
Andyrew
IMHO its the hardest thing on a 914 to remove for the first time....

9 plastic bolts...

I spent 3 hours the first time I took it out... most of it was trying to figure why the heck it wouldnt come out..
michel richard
I took one off on Saturday, too bad I did'nt read the thread, I would've posted a picture.

In any event, what I can confirm is that the nuts are all 13 mm plastic. There are two that hold down the back of the binnacle (for lack of a better word).
rhodyguy
start with removing the steering wheel, and glove box and door. iirc i had to pull the dash face vents too.

kevin
jim_hoyland
Can you post a picture of the dash cover showing the location of the nusts ? I'm getting ready to do same.
boxstr
Check the archives there was one posted not long ago.
CCLINWELLDOYOUFEELLUCKY
Aaron Cox
rocking nana.gif dude! you guys rock! aktion035.gif

took all of 20 minutes to pull. i had to use a u joint a couple of times, and ratcheting box wrenches! beerchug.gif
9 nuts all 13mm in size.

did i mention this place rawks? aktion035.gif mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.