Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 Conversion Guys - 911 Combo Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Hey Gang,

Yanked the dash and all the gauges today and I had the 914 fuel/combo gauge side by side with the 911 combo gauge that will live in it's place. I have a couple of questions regarding the oil temp module and the oil pressure module for the 911 gauge.

I think the rest is fairly plug-n-play:

* Fuel gauge from the 914 combo gauge will be wired to the VDO GT style gauge in the radio slot - Check.

* Generator light to Generator light - Check

* Oil Light to Oil light - Check

* Handbrake light to Handbrake light - Check

Which leaves the oil temp module and the oil pressure modules. Each one has 3-pins so, in checking the 911 manual, wiring that should be fairly straight forward. The one question I had is about existing wires in the 914 loom. I seem to remember Andy yelling at me about the green wire in the back by the fuel pump being the oil temp sensor wire...

I'm using an alternator and ditching the relay board in the back. Are there wires in that board harness (Perry?) that I can use for this without running new wires at this time?

Anyone else use a 911 combo gauge in the left hole? biggrin.gif
John
I don't believe that there are any spare wires up in the dash area that can be used for the oil pressure gauge.

The 911 oil temp/press gauges each use a hot, a ground and the gauge wire. The hot and the ground should be easy to find, but I still think you will need to pull a wire for the press gauge.

ClayPerrine
This may help...

Click to view attachment

This is the backside of my getty design dash after I wired it. If you look closely at the gauge second from the right, you will see that it is a 911 combo gauge. The green wire that ends at the fuel pump is the wire for the oil temp sender. It also ends next to the gear lever in the console wiring connector. Extend it up to the temp gauge and hook it to the tab marked "G". Hook up power and ground and that one will work.

You will have to run a wire back to the engine compartment for the oil pressure gauge.

Krieger
I am using a 911 combo gauge with no relay board and carbs. I am using a dual VDO sender (idiot light/pressure) on the front of the motor. I know that I pulled the power line for the fuel pump back into the main harness and fed it into the sheathing heading toward where the relay board was. I am running a fuel pump up front. I also used the heater fan switch power line. I have it down to 1 plug with 6 leads that connects to a custom engine harness and a factory plug for the voltage regulor. This plug has an added blue wire for the generator light. I mounted the voltage regulator on the firewall. I also have one plug for the sc distributor pickup dangling from the firewall. I have no pics to tell the story yet. I also picked up part of an engine wiring harness from a junked 914. I used these to make the engine wire harness and spliced the matching wires into my cars wiring harness where the gauges are and the engine plugs so they'd match and I wouldn't have to guess whats what.
Eric_Shea
Thanks Clay, that's exactly what I was thinking. That green wire would end in the center console cluster. I'll grab that and extend it.

Andy, same situation with the fuel pump. I have mine up front and have it on a fused circuit with 12v running to it so, that part is done. I just need to run the pressure wire to the gauge cluster and I should be good. I want to run all of this stuff now while the gauges are out.

Thanks guys... Any more BTDT advice you care to throw at me, feel free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.