Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 (now 1911) L-jet timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I went way back reading stuff about timing marks, etc... My 1.8 fan only has the 7.5* notch. My static timing is all good: with #1 at TDC I get the rotor pointing at the notch in the dizzy case, and the flywheel notch straight up and of course the fan notch is a bit off, 7.5 *.

May not matter, but I have converted this engine to a 1911, with L-jet and a 9550 cam. My timing light does not have the advance, so I should be able to read directly on the 7.5* notch.

But why would there be no instructions to check and set the timing at 3500 RPMs on 1.8 engines?

Should I add a TDC and 27* mark and do it anyway?
pnewman
I have a stock 1.8 and have often wondered about the timing mark absence myself.

I would like to hear some performance comparisons for the 1.9 conversion while running on L-Jet. I am not a fan of carbs and have based any upgrade around oem FI (would love to do a 3.0 or 3.2 but who wouldn't$$$)

Valy
L-jet timing should be checked at idle with dizzy vacuum hoses disconnected and plugged. At that point, it should be 7.5 deg.

If you want to check total advance, rev up to 3500 and check for about 30deg. That would be one fin before the fat fin on the fan. You'll understand what I'm saying when you'll see it. smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 26 2012, 09:22 PM) *

I went way back reading stuff about timing marks, etc... My 1.8 fan only has the 7.5* notch. My static timing is all good: with #1 at TDC I get the rotor pointing at the notch in the dizzy case, and the flywheel notch straight up and of course the fan notch is a bit off, 7.5 *.

May not matter, but I have converted this engine to a 1911, with L-jet and a 9550 cam. My timing light does not have the advance, so I should be able to read directly on the 7.5* notch.

But why would there be no instructions to check and set the timing at 3500 RPMs on 1.8 engines?

There's no mark because 914s with L-jet are timed at 900 RPM, hoses off and plugged.

The Cap'n
malcolm2
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 27 2012, 01:08 AM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 26 2012, 09:22 PM) *

There's no mark because 914s with L-jet are timed at 900 RPM, hoses off and plugged.

The Cap'n

AND THAT'S IT? I read so many times that "you don't drive at 900 rpm" as justification for checking at 3500. Why is L-Jet different? Just curious.
pnewman
I agree. I know how to adjust the timing to the manual: i.e. hoses off etc.

I have a SnapOn timing light that's light can be advanced etc. I can see TDC throughout the advance curve.

I was just curious as to the manufacturing thought process etc.

cheers!~
MartyYeoman
popcorn[1].gif
Bleyseng
yep, still check it at 3500rpms as it should be 28*BTDC, hoses off and plugged. You need to know that its not too advanced.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.