Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this car a good deal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jackwood
How's the 914 world going on! I think I have a great opportunity in front of me. I found a 73 Porsche 914 for a $1000. The car is a rust show but has a lot of salvageable parts on it including a unmolested 2.0 engine (which they say it runs), and a rear sift tranny. My question is for the seasoned 914 vets. How much is the car worth, and Would I be paying to much? To help with the pricing I live in NY, near manhattan.
Thanks, Jack
Eric_Shea
welcome.png Jack.

I would say, if the car is complete you can get your money back out of it "if" your time is not money. Selling it piece by piece would net you more than $1,000.00
mepstein
And you learn a lot about how these cars are built and assembled. But I wouldn't pay more than 500 unless it has alloy wheels (fuchs, mahle, pedrinis)
type47
'73 and "rear shift" raises a question if rear shift means "tail shift". Factory '73's would be side shift so perhaps there is a mistake with the ID of the trans...
jackwood
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 27 2012, 09:39 AM) *

'73 and "rear shift" raises a question if rear shift means "tail shift". Factory '73's would be side shift so perhaps there is a mistake with the ID of the trans...

Yeah I might have the year of the car wrong.
Prospectfarms
including a unmolested 2.0 engine (which they say it runs)

Casually looking at craig's list, e-bay, and 914 classifieds for a few months, and given your location, I speculate that a running 2.0 turn-key engine could be worth a significant portion of the asking price you report. FI might make it more attractive. If it has dual carbs instead of FI, those could be worth a couple of hundred $. If you sell the LB separate, there seems to be a good market for 2.0 specific FI components, like injectors and MPS. 2.0 heat exchangers in good condition are another popular seller. They could be SS, if so, bonus.

On the other hand, 914 member, Brad Mayuer, a reputable 914 mechanic in E. Peoria, IL, has a 73 1.7 in decent shape for sale for about the same money. That + $500 in shipping and you've got a driver. My car is 1.7 and I like it just fine, but other's report a lot of fun benefit from the larger stock displacement engine.

I've never tried to part-out a car because it seems like a lot of work, but I wouldn't hesitate if the price was right and there was an expensive part on the car that I wanted anyway.

I'd like to see a picture.
Tom_T
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 27 2012, 06:39 AM) *

agree.gif

... or if it is another MY with a tail-shifter 70-72, then the motor either isn't a "real" GA or GC 2.0, or it's a transplant.

However, a tail-shift case can be used to rebuild a side-shift as a side-shift, if you're going by the /11 vs. /12 transaxle case number.

Yeah - they all "ran when parked" - so you need to look at it as a rebuildable core, and the D-jet EFI needs to be complete for best value. shades.gif

Best look closer at was this one has & actual MY, since it could be a $2-500 rust bucket with some parts & a PITA in time/effort to strip & sell as a part out, or a $500-1000 part-out with a few key components such as alloy wheels, 2.0 GA, etc. which can be parted easily for most or more than the cost.

welcome.png
jackwood
Thanks guys for all your help it was much appreciated. Hopefully it all works out!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.