Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The red ones are like crack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mepstein
Drove all day to pick up another one. '71 with 36K miles on it. 10 foot repaint from orange to red - shiny. Has hellhole issues. The car is pretty much unmolested and the original interior is mostly pristine. I think it needs shocks and rear springs. My teenage daughter said it would be acceptable for her to be seen in the car. Car is to be a driver for at least the summer and then we'll decide where to go from there.
Lennies914
Look like a nice car. Congrats! beerchug.gif
billh1963
Nice! Where was this beauty hiding?
type47
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 27 2012, 06:24 AM) *

You're not mad because you missed out on it are you? biggrin.gif
Mr.242
Congrats! Looks like a good car....

Now what's with the human jackstand? I've seen alot of stashed parts, tools, and golden collectibles in people's garages. This is my favorite. piratenanner.gif

Sorry, it made me laugh lol-2.gif Reminds me that my kids will someday have to put me into a home and I too should buy them a 914 to drive as well.

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 27 2012, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 27 2012, 06:24 AM) *

You're not mad because you missed out on it are you? biggrin.gif

Good one! But, I'm sticking with 2.0 cars. av-943.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Feb 27 2012, 09:44 AM) *

Congrats! Looks like a good car....

Now what's with the human jackstand? I've seen alot of stashed parts, tools, and golden collectibles in people's garages. This is my favorite. piratenanner.gif

Sorry, it made me laugh lol-2.gif Reminds me that my kids will someday have to put me into a home and I too should buy them a 914 to drive as well.

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

MIL had hip replacement surgery.
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 27 2012, 09:24 AM) *

On this site - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=153971&hl=
Jaymann
Mark: Nice find,your building up quite a collection.Jaymann
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 27 2012, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 27 2012, 09:24 AM) *

On this site - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=153971&hl=

Hiding in plain sight! biggrin.gif
wingnut86
Umm, Bill, I think there is a footer/signature maximum.

Once you hit Too Many Cars Listed, it starts adding mileage automatically to the 914s that aren't rollers.

Obviously, I don't have that concern biggrin.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Feb 27 2012, 01:17 PM) *

Umm, Bill, I think there is a footer/signature maximum.

Once you hit Too Many Cars Listed, it starts adding mileage automatically to the 914s that aren't rollers.

Obviously, I don't have that concern biggrin.gif

Well, I'm not really in the market for any projects.

But......
mepstein
QUOTE(Jaymann @ Feb 27 2012, 12:43 PM) *

Mark: Nice find,your building up quite a collection.Jaymann

Hope to loose one real soon.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 27 2012, 06:18 AM) *

My teenage daughter said it would be acceptable for her to be seen in the car.

Geez Louise! .... these kids today! dry.gif

My son was "iffy" at best, at the prospect of getting my hopefully completed project by the time I can't drive it anymore! dry.gif sad.gif

When I was in HS or College I would've died if my Dad bought/gave me a 914! drooley.gif

... of course they were new then, Dad wasn't rich & I was a struggling student working my way through college - ergo a 3 year old used 73 2L a year+ out of school was the best I could swing! biggrin.gif

Ergo, my irrational reasons for holding onto to her non-drivable since 85, and current inane willingness to over-spend to restore here now! dry.gif
... as you said somewhere else on here Mark - spending $100k to get a perfect $25k 914 - or something along those lines! laugh.gif
mepstein
I wanted a 914 to drive this summer and this one should keep me off Scotty B's back until the 6 is done. This one has it's issues but the inside is very clean, neat and doesn't smell like gas. Came with a bunch of extra parts and a front valance. If I had to part it, I would make my money back and then some. Owner was a great guy and took "best offer".
mepstein
I wanted to see what might be hiding behind the seats...

Backpad looks good and just needs a little touch up where the glue is coming loose. Click to view attachment

Little black screw is the plug for the 3rd seat belt. I might have to find an old belt from the back of a 911. Checked out cracks in floor tar and everything seems to be solid so far. Click to view attachment

Seat belt holster and rubber boot for e-brake. Click to view attachment

Dash, steering wheel, ect. show almost no wear. Click to view attachment

Crack free dash might have too much armor all. Click to view attachment

Original AM radioClick to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
I know what you mean. I have a Bahia Red teener. (See link) No better color! Nice score.

http://76.162.11.251/tuck/bicycling/914.htm
mepstein
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 4 2012, 04:59 PM) *

I know what you mean. I have a Bahia Red teener. (See link) No better color! Nice score.

Yours is very nice. This one was originally signal orange and I would like to take it back to that color one day. Paging Scotty B....
scotty b
poke.gif
JawjaPorsche
I love Signal Orange too! When I bought mine new, one of my friends had a signal orange one and I did not want to be copy cat so I decided on Bahia Red.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2012, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 4 2012, 04:59 PM) *

Yours is very nice. This one was originally signal orange and I would like to take it back to that color one day. Paging Scotty B....

mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 4 2012, 06:03 PM) *

poke.gif

Job security poke.gif
mepstein
Gave the car to my son. He turns 16 in May. driving.gif
914itis
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 7 2012, 09:30 AM) *

Have him sign up and share his love and interest for the car here. I did the same, I gave my green one to my son, but he turns 16 in 1 yr and 3 months.

The car is mint, runs great with dual carbs, but needs a repaint, Hopping to do it just before his 16th B'day.

He pretty much can strip and put back a 914 now, we have been working together on them. he stripped the one with the broken ear last weekend. That was his first test.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 7 2012, 09:30 AM) *

beer3.gif

That's great! My son got his grandfather 's cavalier rs convertible given to him and my daughter who turns 16 loves the 914, and I was going to get another914 , but the wife wants her to drive a safer car for now, especially since she will be needing the extra space for for her younger siblings. So she still gets to learn manual, our 04 x-type is stick- lucky me, this meant I disk not have to buy her a car, and opened up the door for me to spend those $$ for us! That's why I ended up getting the 986 s last week. But I think eventually she wants a 914, so in a few years I will be looking again .
I know your son will be loving it.!
gothspeed
great looking dash!!!!! aktion035.gif
mepstein
He's only home for about a month this summer so it's more of a token gift than something that will be driven day to day. Just enough to drive some errands and show off to his friends. His car dreams involve much more expensive cars than 914's.
mepstein
Seats needed just a little clean up and the vinyl on the back re-glued. Now I'm debating about removing floor tar.
mepstein
Picked up some cocoa mats from Gerald @ hershey- $20. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentThrew them in the wash, pressed them flat and then fit to car. Colors look better in person than the pics show.
mepstein
New perlon came with the car but the fit was so bad I decided not to use it. Kept the old pieces for a pattern.
mepstein
Found some heat and sound padding at pep boys. Looks very similar to stock. Very thick. 24sq/ft for $40.
GaroldShaffer
Glad those cocos are getting used. I had them in my 70, but with AXing all the time they were just one more thing to take out of the car. I call dibs if you ever decided to sell the car. I like the early 914s. biggrin.gif
mepstein
Fit the padding to the roof and fixed with spray adhesive. Hoping to quiet the car when the roof is on.
mepstein
Eric Shea drove all the way from Utah to hand me some new shocks for the car. While he was here he also stopped by Hershey. Nice meeting you in person Eric.
scotty b
Looking good Mark. first.gif
wingnut86
Did you apply the Dynamat knock-off material to the top as well?

Did you notice a difference?
mepstein

Did you apply the Dynamat knock-off material to the top as well? - Yes. One side is foil, one side is felt. This is supposed to reduce noise and 12 sq of dynamat was $100- no way!

Did you notice a difference? - No driving yet. waiting on new springs for the shocks.
mepstein
I had leftover material so I copied the trunk carpet. I will see if the fabric store can put edging on it. With edging, it will look stock except the bottom that is foil.
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif Nice work!
mepstein
Used rear shocks were a no-go. sad.gif
mepstein
Still some things to work on but have 250 miles on the car. Love it! biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 15 2012, 09:37 AM) *

Still some things to work on but have 250 miles on the car. Love it! biggrin.gif

Great!- what did you do for shocks?

BTW, nice house! love the stone- is that yours?
mepstein

Great!- what did you do for shocks? Boge - Eric Shea

BTW, nice house! love the stone- is that yours? LOL! No, that's St Andrews School, Middletown, DE. Carpe Diem. Dead Poets Society. My kids go to school there. We now live in a tent.

mepstein
Installed new bushings in the shift lever and linkage.
R&R'd the e-brake lever.
Installed a new master cylinder.

Always wondered why the fuse board looked so rusty so I poked around a bit, pulled the board and dropped the lower dash pad. Found 4 dried up mice and enough insulation to fill up a vacuum bag. It was really packed in around the steering column and all the wires. Luckily, none of the wires had been chewed on. Future paint will need to include a full dash tear down.
Eric_Shea
How's the ride?

My son was "iffy" at best, at the prospect of getting my hopefully completed project by the time I can't drive it anymore!

Have you seen that thing lately Tom? poke.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 11 2012, 01:21 PM) *

How's the ride?

Fine, but I should have splurged for the Bilsteins. At least they'll be on big red.

Still, tons better than my old car with the KYB's on the back.

Also plan to add factory sway bars - front & back. Maybe a set of fuchs with 195x65 tires for a second set of wheels.
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 11 2012, 01:21 PM) *

My son was "iffy" at best, at the prospect of getting my hopefully completed project by the time I can't drive it anymore!

Have you seen that thing lately Tom? poke.gif

Isn't this the car every teenage boy dreams about?

wingnut86
Er, Dream?

My 1st Ghia was a Flintstone-Mobile beer3.gif
mepstein
Rear suspension console is compromised. Car is parked until further notice. Calling Scotty B...
mepstein
Car is back on the road with new bushings on the shifter and trans linkage, new mc and hard and soft lines on the brakes and a new chts. I procrastinated on the sensor since I was told it was a difficult job. Decided to hide the sensor wire in a long socket and changed the sensor in 2 minutes. (after removing FI parts). - And lowered the front end. Love driving it!
scotty b
first.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.