Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeaking in right rear brake while driving?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hartshapedmutt
This car I am looking at has a squeak in the right rear brake while it is driving, not while braking. I've never heard of that. Any ideas as to how serious of an issue it is? Its a 1974 914.

The current owner says that their mechanic (who has worked on the car for years) says its not an issue. Saying that it might just need to have the rotors "turned" in a few thousand miles.

Should I steer clear?

Thanks.
Qarl
What makes you think it is the brakes?

Probably the bearing or CV joint.!

Or you can try adjusting the brake pads... but poorly clearanced pads would just cause rubbing and grinding noises.
hartshapedmutt
I only think its the brakes cuz the current owner says the mechanic told her so.

I was confused about her commnent and even called her on it. How can the brakes be squeeling while driving? Makes no sense. The car is up in oregon and I am considering buying it and driving it down to cali.

She was pretty specific... "right rear brake squeels when driving."

I dunno.. I dont get it.
otto
To find out if it is a rear wheel bearing is easy. Take the 914 out until the noise apears and with the steering wheel rock the car from side to side and determine when the noise goes away or gets lighter. If you rock the car to the left and the noise goes away then the left wheel bearing looses it's load and the noise goes away. Same thing in the other direction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.