Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Face options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
hey guys, got a question or 2 for ya.

i have my dashes off to be recovered as my seats and backpad are too. i HATE basketweave mad.gif . i wanna change the basket weave dash face to smooth vinyl i think (or brushed aluminum wub.gif ) how hard is it to do this?

also.. i have VERY NICE basketweave door panels, anyone have a set of early (smooth vinyl) door panels they'd like to trade?
Qarl
I've been trying to get Engman to laser cut some dash faces in brushed aluminum or stainless.

This way we can add or delete things (like the seatbelt buzzer light).... Make the dash one piece (including the DIN radio plate), etc.

Whadya think?
d914
I'm in for the one piece dash. Just holes for the knobs, heat controls and radio. Looking to do the dash to match my doors which are smooth.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Qarl @ Sep 13 2004, 12:05 PM)
I've been trying to get Engman to laser cut some dash faces in brushed aluminum or stainless.

This way we can add or delete things (like the seatbelt buzzer light).... Make the dash one piece (including the DIN radio plate), etc.

Whadya think?

I'd be all over that, I've been thinking it would look pretty sweet!
i love porsche
i want to go with a wood dash face kit, it would go well with the wood steering wheel and knob i plan on getting
Dr Evil
Aaron (i love porsche),
I have a dash face kit in wood for you if you want. PM me!
-Mike
Lou W
When I start to put mine back together, I want the dash insert to match the color of the car biggrin.gif
iiibdsiil
QUOTE(Lou W @ Sep 13 2004, 03:50 PM)
When I start to put mine back together, I want the dash insert to match the color of the car biggrin.gif

That is also something that was on my mind.

I think it would look cool, like the old hot rods. I think it would update it a little bit, make it look a little more modern.
Engman
It is on my list of stuff to do. Want to get the fender well liners done first. And as much as I want to do that work is kicking me in the butt - gotta finish building 4 prototype mowers (zero turn commercial mowers with a steering wheel) for a show a week from Wednesday - then gotta do the show thing. Also have to finish up work for the FFC - I am making some cooool stuff for it. Then, after the FFC I can take apart the dash on the 73 and put it into CAD. Just a LOT on the plate right now.

M
d914
bitch,bitch,bitch sleep is optional beerchug.gif
Brando
Brushed aluminum sounds verrrrry appealing. I may possibly do mine in brushed. I just need some dimensions and such before i start cutting the aluminum i have :\
Engman
Stainless may be a better option. Aluminum will show white corrision after a year or so unless you seal it good.

M
Dr Evil
I want to do brushed, black anodized aluminum... drooley.gif
Lou W
As long as it's paintable, could even have it incorporated into the door panels like some of the new cars do. biggrin.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(Engman @ Sep 13 2004, 03:06 PM)
Stainless may be a better option. Aluminum will show white corrision after a year or so unless you seal it good.

M

Yep, you need to clearcoat it or it'll look like crap before too long (depending on your local climate). I'm contemplating doing a 2x2 twill carbon fiber dash and matching console face. I got a pretty good deal on some carbon cloth on Ebay awhile back. The real beauty about carbon graphite (aside from it looks kuhl!), is it doesn't rust! Wish my whole car was made of the stuff.....hmmmm idea.gif
Brando
can someone with a carbon-fiber shop please make a complete chassis? That'd be awesomes.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lou W @ Sep 13 2004, 01:50 PM)

like that?

laugh.gif Andy

IPB Image
F4i
Here is mine made from SS. It was one hell of a lot of work. I did most of it by hand. I deleted the seatbelt light and there is no break between the radio and the rest. The glovebox door was a bit tricky. If you went with AL you could clear aalodine it and you would not have corrosion problems. Clear anodize would be a solution as well.
F4i
Wow crappy pic it looks much better in person. Here is another
Lou W
Bingo Andy, that's what I had in mind beerchug.gif
boxstr
Hey Guys I am planning to start production of the dash panel inserts of #4 brushed stainless. These will be laser cut and they are from exact patterns.
Retail cost from CAMP 914 will be $40.00 plus shipping and handling.
Looking for feedback. Production can start anytime I am just waiting to hear from you all.
Thanks
CCLINSTUFFTOSELL
Qarl
Craig. Go for it!

1. Need to have options. Not everyone has the same switch configuration. Some have fogs, some don't, etc...

2. I'd like to be able to delete the rectangular seatblet warning light hole

3. I'd like the front face to go all the way to the glove box edge and have a DIN radio cutout. Some may like the traditional radio layout.

4. Different steering column on the '75 and later cars (you know that) so the bottom of the fash face near the column is different.

5. It should be sturdy enough to totally replace the basket weave cover. So you can just double sticky-tape it on!

Hope this helps!!!!
boxstr
Karl Thanks this is the stuff I want to see.
CCLINFEEDBACKFORUM
Howard
Since Suzi has no radio, fogs, HVAC, would just like the basic template and glove box cover. Any paintable material is fine, stick on better, so we could just razor off the shot basket weave and not have to pull all the switches.

Sure do appreciate the way you keep your quality up and prices low. A true 914 guy!
iiibdsiil
I would definitely be down for one, maybe two.

I agree with Qarl. I have some stuff that I wouldn't mind getting rid of, like the heater controls that will never work.

Can't think of the rest right now. But, I have my key on the left side dash too. Stuff like that.
markb
Craig, could you do a paintable one for a 70, with the ignition on the left?
Brando
Craig, do you also do a panel to match the dash front that goes behind/around the big-three cluster?
boxstr
Brando, That is an option I was thinking about.
CCLINDASHINGDUDE
dakotaewing
Did anyone get a good photo of the black dash face of the orange car at the GAF?
From what I can tell from the one photo, it looks very clean...
Thom
jfort
carbon fiber, as done by Jim Chambers in my car, looks good, is easily modified, and cheap.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Sep 13 2004, 08:16 PM)
Did anyone get a good photo of the black dash face of the orange car at the GAF?
From what I can tell from the one photo, it looks very clean...
Thom

Hows this.

That car was NICE!
Dave-O
QUOTE(jfort @ Sep 15 2004, 09:57 AM)
carbon fiber, as done by Jim Chambers in my car, looks good, is easily modified, and cheap.

jfort,
I loved the look of your dash face when i saw it at the MWC. I think i'm going to eliminate the radio and glove box on my car. Never use the glove box and with the car/wind noise i can't hear the radio much anyway. Besides, real sports cars don't need radios!

David
BIGKAT_83
and one more.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 15 2004, 08:10 AM)
and one more.

OMG! thats exactly what i started last night. smooth vinyl dash face! small world wink.gif
736conver
Aaron,

Your OEM Porsche german vinyl material has shipped. You should have it done by Friday. Post some pics when you get it done. Are you going to put a little padding behind it too??

Brian
GTeener
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 13 2004, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE(Lou W @ Sep 13 2004, 01:50 PM)

like that?

laugh.gif Andy

IPB Image

Slick Andy!

You gunna tell us what you did?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(736conver @ Sep 15 2004, 10:42 AM)
Aaron,

Your OEM Porsche german vinyl material has shipped. You should have it done by Friday. Post some pics when you get it done. Are you going to put a little padding behind it too??

Brian

do you think i should? im contemplating it
Dr Evil
jfort,
How do you get ahold of Jim Chambers? I may be interested in a similar look.
Thanks,
Mike
seanery
Hey Doc,
Jim is PorscheRescue here on the club.
Lou W
I was noticing that the second picture of the Orange car at the GAF- The panel around the glove box looks like it's curved, is it padded?? huh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Lou W @ Sep 15 2004, 01:54 PM)
I was noticing that the second picture of the Orange car at the GAF- The panel around the glove box looks like it's curved, is it padded?? huh.gif

it is. i may do this on friday. smooth vinyl for sure...padding? maybe,. need input
Lou W
Arron, You know, you could always stretch a cover, padded or not, after you have the dash inserts made, however they might have to be trimmed slightly. And with all the possibilities of different holes, locations, etc. we could put those in ourselves if we had to. smile.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(Lou W @ Sep 15 2004, 12:54 PM)

Yes it was padded. I've got better pix's but they are in the 5meg range if you would like I can email them to you
drew365
Here's a pic of mine that I did in stainless steel. It has a basketweave pattern which I like. It was a real pain to cut because it's real hard. I used a dremel and a million cutting blades.
drew365
Drum roll please, and now for the pic:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.