Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding top end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Okay, here goes. I am going to pull the motor out of the car Saturday ('76 2.0 w/Ca. emissions) and pull the heads and cylinders to send out for any necessary work they need. I plan on addressing rust issues in the engine compartment while everything is out and replace both the clutch and throttle cables along with the clutch and shifter bushings. My question is: 1) Shoulf the cylinders go to the shop along with the heads to have the mating surfaces checked for proper sealing (I understand that when I put it back together I shouldn't use a head gasket)? and 2) If doing just the top end what else should I replace while I'm at it? I hope this is not to broad of a question. I want to start ordering parts as soon as I can. Thanks for any assistance. pray.gif
Allan
biggrin.gif icon_bump.gif
Joe Ricard
The answer to this is as difficult as the meaning life it's self.

But if you pull the Pistons and cylinders off and find that the wrist pins are out of spec in the connecting rod bushing well... You won't be able to live with yourself just putting it all back together. It will knock. then fly apart.

Heads should be lapped to the matting cylinder. If you omit the head gasket you effectively reduce your deck hieght and raise your compression. Damn now you got to measure this and get base cylinder shims if the deck is too short.

What are you going to do to the heads???? You should be able to clean them up enough to see cracks before taking into machinist. you can also do a fluid test to see if the valves seal or not. Getting deeper than that involves pulling the valves then you can asess the valve guide wear. I can already hear the money falling out of your pockets.

Sure good idea to go splunking for rust (which you should have no problem finding. So now that your 914 is going to be setting up on the jackstands for awhile it is official. youre a 914 owner. wavey.gif
Allan
I know I at least have a worn valve guide from the smoke. If I can get away with using a head gasket that would be fine. I have just heard that you should throw them away. I was also thinking of replacing the rings while it is apart. I was told early on that I could just rebuild the top end and be fine if I'm not having any problems with anything else.
Tom Perso
That's an interesting outlook on life... smash.gif

smile.gif

If was you... I'd get your heads reconditioned... Have them checked for cracks and new guides installed. If the mating surface looks suspect, have it trimmed just a shade (and I mean a little).

Mark the pistons with cylinders and the cylinders with each register. Get new rings if the cylinders still look good (most old T4's I've seen still have good cross-hatch). When you get your new rings and heads back... Lap the cylinders into the heads.

Button it all back up and run premium in it.

If you get 30-40,000 miles out of it, so what... Big deal. Run the piss out of it so the rings seat and drive it like you stole it.

Your results may vary...

Tom
otto
There are always cracks under the valve seats. In order to do heads correctly, the valve guides and the valve seats have to be removed and the heads have to be magnafluxed to check for cracks. Cracks also develope between the spark plug hole and the valve seat hole.
Don't let anyone talk you into doing it anyother way, the seats will fall out and you get to do it again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.