Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 spotting at TN Tech
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amphiduck
Saw this in the parking lot at TN Tech this morning, and I've seen it around in the Crossville/Cookeville area. Gorgeous car. It belong to anyone on here?
Haudiosolutions
Don't know the owner but that's nice w00t.gif
poorsche914
Amphiduck - the local PCA region is planning a drive out your way sometime in April. Maybe you can join in. driving.gif
Haudiosolutions
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 27 2012, 05:56 PM) *

Amphiduck - the local PCA region is planning a drive out your way sometime in April. Maybe you can join in. driving.gif

Where and when is the drive? I should have the major projects finished by then and driving. I need to find someone to cut an aluminum dash face but that's something that'll happen in time. Ready to get it on the road again and do some drives.
Yep.... Totally hijacked this one evilgrin.gif
amphiduck
Sorry bout the delayed response. Things are kind of hectic around here. Today I was digging around underneath my 914 and finally realized how the longs were "fixed". They look down right dangerous. Patch metal welded (TERRIBLE welds I will add) on top of what I assume to be holes in the inner longs. I believe the previous owner didn't even make the same size patches, just took some sheet metal hammered it to the contours and welded over. The car has succumbed to jack stands, and I am somewhat torn as to how to proceed. I did buy a new driver side long, and soon enough will be buying the passenger side as well. The engine is now removed, and I'm wondering if I should just go all the way and strip it down to fix the rust issues. Sad day for me and the 914.

So as far as being road worthy, looks like it'll be awhile for that PCA drive for me (unless they allow the 914's distant fish and chips cousin, mgb gt??)
IronHillRestorations
I LOVE THAT CAR!!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(9146986 @ Mar 3 2012, 12:24 AM) *
I LOVE THAT CAR!!! wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

agree.gif I had a '72 British Racing Green B-GT as my first car.

As far as the drive - BRING IT! There are no rules saying you HAVE to drive a Porsche.

Drive Info (departure time TBA):
APRIL 14TH DRIVEOUT TO CROSSVILLE

We are planning a driveout to Crossville to meet our members in that area for a lunch on Saturday, April 14th.

We will gather just outside Knoxville and caravan to Crossville to have lunch at Halcyon Days just off Interstate 40 at Exit 320. Then we will travel back that afternoon.
Many of our members in the Crossville area cannot make the long trip to Knoxville for most of our region’s events, so let’s travel to meet them and enjoy the ride along the way. Meeting time and location will be arranged and announced at a later time.

RSVP to Keith Kurz at kurzinutah@msn.com . We hope to see you there!

driving.gif
amphiduck
Thanks for the kind words. Bought it about a year ago site unseen and drove it back the 700 miles from Orlando to Crossville. Sometime this week, I plan on pulling the tranny and putting in an overdrive unit. As far as I know, nothing is going on that weekend for me, so I'll bring the GT to Halcyon Days (which is about ten minutes max from my house). Thanks for the invite and see you then!
kfish914
any body know what rims are on the 914?
Looking for size and brand name, I like the way the rear looks.
poorsche914
Rears look like a 3 piece rim - you can see the boltheads around the perimeter of the Fuchs center.

driving.gif
amphiduck
I have only seen the car on campus that once, but there is a 944 parked in the same spot almost everyday. Wonder if it is the same owner. If I see it again, I'll take some more pictures and post them here.
amphiduck
KFish,

Ran into the owner this morning. Said he bought the car as a major project and fixed it up. Put new 11 gauge steel longs on it along with the engman kit and a bunch of other stuff. Pretty slick what all went into it. He did say the wheels were from Lindsey Racing and around $1000/wheel. Here's a closer picture:

poorsche914
What does he have for power?
amphiduck
He didn't elaborate too much on the engine, but it looked to be a stock 1.7 with the fuel injection set up. Did have an aftermarket air intake on it which he said was a waste of money.

Wish I'd taken a picture of it, but he mounted a late 80s corvette 3rd brake light in the middle of deck lid and finished it the same color as the car. Looked really cool.
patrick3000
QUOTE(amphiduck @ Mar 3 2012, 12:26 AM) *

So as far as being road worthy, looks like it'll be awhile for that PCA drive for me (unless they allow the 914's distant fish and chips cousin, mgb gt??)

More pictures of the MGB GT please - How does it drive compaired to the 914?
type47fan
QUOTE(amphiduck @ Feb 27 2012, 11:42 AM) *

Saw this in the parking lot at TN Tech this morning, and I've seen it around in the Crossville/Cookeville area. Gorgeous car. It belong to anyone on here?

Beautiful car . . . next time you see him, ask if he's familiar with the 914world. If he's not, see if you can get the data plate information (VIN, chassis number, paint code, etc) to add to the data base. Invite him to join, without being pushy poke.gif

I second the request for more info/pictures on the MGB GT.
BritCarJim
if you are going to get into a discussion about MGs then count me in. i've got four...including a '72 GT. all of mine were bought as projects...which is (i think) part of why i fit in here...
amphiduck
Mine is a '73 and I believe pretty much everything is stock except it was converted to downdraft weber (which is the exact same carb that my 914 came with) and the emissions stuff was removed. It's a blast drive, the weber feels lacking compared to the SUs that were originally on it, but they came with the car and as soon as the overdrive tranny goes in, the SUs are going on.

As far as feeling like the 914, with both having that same carb and close engine displacement, they feel very similar. I don't hot dog it either really, so not sure if my opinion is worth much. I bought the GT from an older guy in Florida who picked me up from a one way flight to Orlando to look at the car and the first thing he asked me was if I have ever sat in an MGB. When I said no, his response was, "Boy, you're gonna be chewing on your knees."

Very happy with it, I do feel a little cramped being 6'2", course I feel that way a little with the 914 as well. The interior is three different colors, but I don't really mind since I bought it at a ridiculously low price in my opinion. I've put about 8000 miles on it in the past year and a half and I believe the electric choke is starting to stick on the weber, in which case might as well go back to stock.

Jim, I'd love to see a photo of your '72!

Here are some more photos of mine:
amphiduck
Forgot the engine:

BritCarJim
hmm. you asked for it.

Click to view attachment

i bought my '72 GT in the spring of '08. i am a member of a MG site that is very similar to this site but MG-centric and not 914-centric. somebody posted up on that forum about a closed MG shop in VA that was being put to a estate sale. i drove up there after a couple of particular parts that i could see in the pics posted on the 'net. the shop had about a dozen cars in its private junk yard. i gathered the parts i needed and then made an offer for the GT. i asked for this one because it was the most complete car there. the floorboards were gone, the sill and rocker structure under the doors (what 'yall call "the longs") were gone...but it was fairly complete. all of those sheetmetal bits are available by catalog. (if you don't know, google "moss motors" and check it out.) the pic here is when i first got it into the garage. i show this one because you can see the rust damage behind the PS wheel.

Click to view attachment

i spent last winter (a year ago) redoing the body. the pic here is a representative sample. fenders, sills, rockers, floors, plus insulation, carpet, stereo, seat belts, etc.

Click to view attachment

i replaced the brake and clutch masters, the rear brake slaves, the front calipers, replaced all shoes, replaced the clutch slaves, and replace all hydraulic hoses. i rebuilt the SU HIF carbs. i did enough to the engine to get it running...changed the oil and flushed the coolant. this winter i've been rebuilding the suspension...rear springs, shackels and bushings, front bushings and completely reassemble, repaint, and reassemble. then the rencently rebuilt "spare" motor goes in. during the next few months i'll be rebuilding the original motor and going with a fast street cam. oh, i'll also be installing the OD gearbox i rebuilt last May.

Click to view attachment

i spent all last summer driving it around and i intend to be driving it a bunch this winter.

i've not spent alot on a paint job because i want it loose enough i can work on it without running the risk of screwing it up. its supposed to be a realaxation, not a source of stress. (thats the whole car hobby: better for me than a substance abuse problema and heaper than a mistress.)
gandalf_025
Since this post drifted over to MG content..

I used to drive MGB's as winter cars when I put the 6 away for the season
many years ago..

Even brought a 1965 911 engine home in a 65 roadster once. Over an hour drive with the engine in the passengers seat and a block of firewood holding the back of the engine up high enough that I could get at the shifter.

Car is long gone, but I do still have the engine.

lousy picture.. but I can't find the original scan at this point..

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Funny, I just thought that was a pic from a bone yard!
gandalf_025
You have a point there....
Think that picture was taken in the mid 70's
When I bought the MG, it was in black primer and
I never did anything but drive it.
Got me through the winter and that was all that was required.
I'm glad I took the the picture when I got home..
It Gets funnier every year.
I have the Bill of Sale for the engine put away somewhere.
I'll have to find it for a time reference..
poorsche914
My first car was a '72 MGB GT that I later traded to a guy for suspension repair and a paint job on a Bumble Bee I had.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.