Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $50K 914-6 for sale on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
smontanaro
Great looking car, but I have two nits to pick. One, for that sort of price I think potential buyers will want "numbers matching" (with a COA), which this car doesn't seem to be ("period-correct six-cylinder motor"). Two, I question the strategy of starting the bidding so high when you have a reserve price to protect you.

S
carr914
"Undoubtedly, the Nicest Restored 914-6 in the World" I doubt it biggrin.gif

We need Pat to start ragging on the Leather Interior.

The Problems I have are;
No Serial Number
No Engine Number
No CoA
Starting Price $50k

A Very Nice Looking Car though
bigkensteele
What about no details either. Actual mileage, engine size, side or tail shift are a few things I would want to know before bidding.

Also no pics of undercarriage, and only one of the engine/bay.

For that kind of coin, I would lay it all out there if it is as good as they claim.
porbmw
It is a pretty car....and it's finished, which is more than I can say for my efforts... sad.gif

But, apart from apparently non-matching, etc, there are a bunch of little cosmetic bits and pieces, easily fixed, which seemingly could have been done "correct" the first time, to make it a 6....or at least an early car. No point listing, they're pretty minor.

If it's so easy to do the little things "right" during assembly, and are missed, does that imply lack of detail on other more crucial areas... sad.gif

URY914
I'd rather have the GT that is also on eBay right now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(porbmw @ Feb 27 2012, 04:57 PM) *
If it's so easy to do the little things "right" during assembly, and are missed, does that imply lack of detail on other more crucial areas... sad.gif

You mean like the passenger side top shock mount that is all crooked?

Or the missing (or painted over) VIN decal in the doorjamb?

Or the missing (or painted over) VIN plate in the front trunk?

Or the missing black goo around the front shock towers?

Or the passenger door rubber seal not fitting correctly?

Or the dust on the lower dash?

Or the what appears to be plastic sill covers?

Or the incorrect rubber cap for the rear shocks?

Or the front trunk release cable sheathing that is not clamped down?

Or the green body paint under the side mesh next to the engine lid?

And they didn't even show the underside ... biggrin.gif

Nice car though!
chowtime.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 27 2012, 05:05 PM) *

QUOTE(porbmw @ Feb 27 2012, 04:57 PM) *

You mean like the passenger side top shock mount that is all crooked?

Or the missing (or painted over) VIN decal in the doorjamb?

Or the missing (or painted over) VIN plate in the front trunk?

Or the missing black goo around the front shock towers?

Or the passenger door rubber seal not fitting correctly?

Or the dust on the lower dash?

Or the what appears to be plastic sill covers?

Or the incorrect rubber cap for the rear shocks?

Or the front trunk release cable sheathing that is not clamped down?

Or the green body paint under the side mesh next to the engine lid?

And they didn't even show the underside ... biggrin.gif

Nice car though!
chowtime.gif

Add to that:

Black window cranks & int. door handle surrounds instead of chrome

Yes - Black Plastic door threasholds & carpet strips - instead of aluminum

Door arm rests/map pocket not upholstered to match tan interior

... all of the above are late 73.75 or 74 MY 914/4 features!

Gold Cad Plated F deck lid/hood springs instead of black painted

Cruddy looking old switches at dash & TS lever/handle (too hard to clean if not replace bezels?)

I'm sure the 6 officianados can add more to the incorrect 70 MY & 914-6 details as well.

Still, the $50k for a sorted 914-6 if it proved to be correct matching nos. or at least an "in the ballpark" 640xxxx case wouldn't be out of the ballpark for a fully restored -6 - given some sales of late - such as the Orange/Black $70k one back east for example, or sgrisanti's Adriatic Blue/Black one from the dealer in NY or NJ.
brp986s
Good gawd - all you nit-pickers. If that car is as nice as it looks the seller is taking a loss at 50k.
gms
VIN is:
gms
windshield tag
SirAndy
QUOTE(gms @ Feb 27 2012, 07:18 PM) *

VIN is:

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=66486

popcorn[1].gif
gms
late model mirror
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I don't get to crazy about the little stuff - but that is one beautiful six. I agree at $50K they have to be in the red still. I love the irish green with tan leather. Sure some things need to be corrected and I really want to see detailed photos of the underside and engine compartment . Good luck with the sale on a beautiful car.
tod914
Rut row scooby on the vin. You have quite a memory there Sir Andy wink.gif
RiqueMar
... Fallbrook is 5 minutes from me
Gustl
this is how the car looked back in 2007 ...
nathansnathan
That it's got a wrinkled replacement inner suspension console says it was pretty bad at one point.

Other early/late inconsistencies, looks like a late non folding parking brake and the rear view mirror should be the thin early one.

It's a lot to ask, but for $50,000 I would want the snowplow rear valence that was original. About finish, they forgot to paint it black under the engine grill. About plating springs, that is just bad, the embrittlement- makes you wonder what other hardware might have been compromised.

Maybe nitpicky, but they say "Undoubtedly the nicest restored 914/6 in the world" so... the door panels kind of bother me being so smooth. You can get patterns pressed into leather or vinyl to mimic the basketweave that should be there.

Looks pretty nice over all though.
sixerdon
More pics here including resto pics;

http://www.caporsche.net/images/carsforsal...146/images.html

Don
MoveQik
QUOTE(brp986s @ Feb 27 2012, 08:13 PM) *

Good gawd - all you nit-pickers. If that car is as nice as it looks the seller is taking a loss at 50k.

I agree. Every time a nice car comes around it is like a fuching contest around here to see who can tear it apart the fastest. 9 times out of 10 the car is nicer than anything the nit-pickers will ever own. Maybe that is their motivation, I don't know....

This car is gorgeous, regardless of price. Any of us would be lucky to own it.
carr914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 28 2012, 09:28 AM) *

I agree. Every time a nice car comes around it is like a fuching contest around here to see who can tear it apart the fastest. 9 times out of 10 the car is nicer than anything the nit-pickers will ever own. Maybe that is their motivation, I don't know....

99% of time I would agree with you (100% if it were in our Classifieds by a Member), but when anyone puts out such a Bold Statement as "Undoubtedly the Best Restored 914-6 in the World", it deserves a lesson in why it is Not.
sean_v8_914
fabulous 914. preserved from the evil grasp of rust and time. cars like this will outlast us all
Ferg
Such a nice car, perfect color combo, my absolute favorite.
JawjaPorsche
Between my junior and senior year in college, I worked at a bank in Atlanta. Down the street was a Porsche dealership. I used to go down there during lunch and sit in the cars and dream. They even had a 914-6 British Racing Green! I think on the stickler it was around $6,800! If I only knew then what I know now!

QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 28 2012, 10:22 AM) *

Such a nice car, perfect color combo, my absolute favorite.

agree.gif
gms
I can only speak for myself but I think the people here who know the smallest details of a real six take up the challenge to show it is not "Undoubtedly the nicest restored 6 in the world" That is a bold claim and if you were to buy this car you would have to spend additional money to make it right. That being said I am always happy to see another six restored and cared for.
toolguy
What we see as an untruth {best restored six} is compounded but the fact that the restoration was apparently done by a business who touts their expertise. The things we all notice are the little details, easily corrected if they really know their stuff. That has to make me wonder about what else was overlooked.

Here is their website and their feature on this car. http://www.caporsche.net/images/portfolio/...146/images.html

Lot's of more detailed pictures, but what they show is more stuff done without attention to detail, which is a must for a true Concour car.
(914-6's didn't have the vent covers in the door jam vents, Red as in Koni struts, wrong color lower heater blower hose [ should be tan]. . . also looks like a 911 metal air cleaner box in place of the real 914-6 plastic six box. Then there is the radio antenna on the fender but it has a radio delete panel in the dash. . Wrong type battery and installed backwards . The dash has a Green TN4 "Driving Light switch" emblem, while the grill shows TN2 Fog lens. . . The front bottom pictures look nice, but still no pictures of the bottom of engine and pan.

The sad part is someone could buy this thinking they got "the best", and really got only a 'nice representation copy, with a 'period correct' motor. The good part is it just makes the real six's even more valuable. . . and shows how difficult it is getting to obtain all the correct parts. All in all, $50K is in the ballpark for the work done, but it certainly is not "The Best ".
Cairo94507
I didn't think the '70 sixes came with the insulated top? And that looks to me like the correct emergency brake; it appears to be a folding handle. All of my sixes came with that style. I thought (always) that was correct and it was the later cars that came with the non-folding handle. Am I just getting old or what?
SirAndy
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 28 2012, 06:28 AM) *

When somebody starts their Ad with "Undoubtedly the nicest restored 914/6 in the world" i think we have all the right in the (914)world to pick that car apart.

As far as i'm concerned, with a statement like that, he's asking for it ...
popcorn[1].gif
porbmw
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 28 2012, 09:41 AM) *

I didn't think the '70 sixes came with the insulated top? And that looks to me like the correct emergency brake; it appears to be a folding handle. All of my sixes came with that style. I thought (always) that was correct and it was the later cars that came with the non-folding handle. Am I just getting old or what?

The 6s did not come with the insulated top...that one jumped out at me.

But then, so did the ebrake. Cuz as far as I can tell, it is correct AND it has that rubber gasket about halfway along, where the handle bends. I'm STILL looking for that #$#$ piece. If anybody has a nice one.....

So I"m on the fence on this.

It is a nice car, and thanks, Gusti, for the pics, it puts things in perspective.

It takes a lot of work, and money, to bring these back. It's great to see it as good as it is.

But I'm with T.C. and others, re the bold statement. It is kind of like laying down the gauntlet.
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 28 2012, 09:41 AM) *

It's almost definitely the late parking brake handle in this pic
IPB Image

but it looks like an early in this pic
IPB Image

you can see the folding one doesn't have that angle that is definitely in the top top pic there.
IPB Image
IPB Image
porbmw
WTF
Missed that....TWO ebrakes... blink.gif
jonferns
Maybe they realized it afterwards, because those are definitely 2 different brake handles
porbmw
I'm guessing they did the "later version" first, it looks a bit scabbier (word?), metal not cleaned up etc, and then swapped it out with the correct, earlier.

I want.... (the rubber...don't think there's a market in this for Mikey/Mark)dry.gif
toolguy
Like I said, It's the little details. . the drivers seat belt receiver is in upside down. . the red button is suppose to be on the bottom . . they used a passenger side for the drivers side. . . and the seat recline knob is on sideways. . looks like there isn't enough room for it to fit properly. . . .
They asked for it. .
struckn
As mentioned some minor faults BUT this restoration appears to have produced a 914-6 that may be above the quality of "factory new". IMO

drooley.gif
porbmw
Um

With respect....no. sad.gif

I"ll take an off the factory assembly line 6 any day over almost any restoration....pretty hard to get it ALL right...parts are scarce. sad.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 28 2012, 11:09 AM) *

When somebody starts their Ad with "Undoubtedly the nicest restored 914/6 in the world" i think we have all the right in the (914)world to pick that car apart.

As far as i'm concerned, with a statement like that, he's asking for it ...
popcorn[1].gif

Seriously? It's an eBay ad. rolleyes.gif It is subjective at best and written by someone trying to sell something(an incredibly nice six, I might add). Maybe in his mind this truly IS the nicest restoration he as ever seen.

Click to view attachment
URY914
I am SO glad you guys pointed out the problems with this car. I was just about to hit the "Buy it now" button. Thanks for saving me $50k. biggrin.gif
carr914
QUOTE(struckn @ Feb 28 2012, 02:18 PM) *

As mentioned some minor faults BUT this restoration appears to have produced a 914-6 that may be above the quality of "factory new". IMO

drooley.gif

Factory New would have the Factory Motor.

I've said from the beginning that it is a Beautiful Car and I hope they get the $$$, but the beginning Statement & Lack of Details leave feeling disappointed. The little things can be corrected ( and serve as a Badge of Honor to the buyer), but they should have been addressed

It may be that the eBay Ad was just to draw interest. I know my car will probably not make it to the end of the Auction based on the Calls I've been receiving.

T.C.
larryM

agreed.

We cogniscenti constantly berate the cars of fellow owners - i don't get it

- aren't we just a tiny club of folks of mostly modest means interested in an almost forgotten car that time has passed by, all hoping for the prices to rise enuf to justify the money we've spent restoring or personalizing and customizing our own?

We should all be celebrating any 914 we actually see running and driven. And congratulating anyone who actually sells one for more than they have "invested".

A rising tide ....

TJB/914
QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 28 2012, 04:19 PM) *

agreed.

seeing what 'way worse cars have sold for in the past 18 months, there is apparently still some real money out there, and ya can't blame the seller for trying to find it.

Byron just sold a rust-bucket six for $6500 and I sold a similar one for same price 3 yrs ago. Priced simply as the used value of the parts. Think about the true cash cost and the years it will take. Can ya do it for $50K?

Do any of us actually believe that the sixer is the "next speedster"?

If so, put in your bid just for grins and great bragging rights on "the one I almost got" (Ya can't even lose your money since it's below reserve!)

I know a guy who is restoring a 914-6 who will easily have over $100K in it when done - he has totally stripped what was a genuinely nice original car except for the aftermarket wheels, and sent the body shell for blasting & dipping

and then there's the "GT tribute reproduction" project thread on Pelican - what do you suppose that car (years in development) will be priced at when & if it's ever done? And whom among us will be placing the bids?

"Money talks" as conedodger wrote a few days back.

my friend who is a very successful buyer/seller of all kinds of classics & hotrods says "I never bother with FS ads anymore, it just attracts riff-raff who have no money and wastes my time; I only put cars at auction, 'cuz that's where the money is".

We cogniscenti constantly berate the cars of fellow owners - i don't get it

- aren't we just a tiny club of folks of mostly modest means interested in an almost forgotten car that time has passed by, all hoping for the prices to rise enuf to justify the money we've spent personalizing and customizing our own?

We should all be celebrating any 914 we actually see running and driven. And congratulating anyone who actually sells one for more than they have "invested".

A rising tide....

regarding the nit-picking:
I have not yet been to a pca concours where the judges had any clue about the "correctness" of any 914 or component there-on, - and I have never seen a 914 entered in "preservation" class where it would matter. I also doubt we will ever see a showroom stock 914 at Pebble Beach in our lifetimes.

PCA Judges are 99% concerned only about white glove cleanliness; dust inside your wheels, smudges underneath your distributor, unwashed dark crannies under your battery ...

- i didn't get too excited when a pca-parade-914-expert judge pointed out last summer that i have 2 different kinds of screws in my doorsills and ludicrously suggested that would be a huge problem at the race track because I'd need different size screwdrivers, and that somehow it would cost me time in the pits during a race

that same expert found a dog hair on the seat of Paul's 3.6 - the horrors!

Larry, I understand your point, but you missed the messages on this post. When someone starts out saying this is the best restored 914-6 in the world our guys are just pointing out he does not know what he is talking about. Yes, the car is probably worth $50K, but his opening statement can't stand up to the experts.
Tom
SirAndy
QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 28 2012, 01:19 PM) *
i don't get it

To me, attention to detail is important. I'm German after all.
While the car in question is nice (and so far everyone agrees on that), there *is* a apparent lack to details.

That, combined with the high asking price, is something that would turn me off if i was a potential buyer.
You obviously don't feel that way and that's perfectly fine!

But i do and i'll be damned if i can't express my opinion of a car just because some here feel it's somehow rude to say anything remotely negative about an expensive 914.

That's something i don't get.
confused24.gif
Jeffs9146
But then, so did the ebrake. Cuz as far as I can tell, it is correct AND it has that rubber gasket about halfway along, where the handle bends. I'm STILL looking for that #$#$ piece. If anybody has a nice one.....

Are you looking for the smaller cover for the early car or some kind of gasket? I have an early cover I will trade for a late cover if that is what you are talking about!

Here is the photo with the type that I have!

larryM
no intent to impugn anyone's personal values & standards

- just offering a different viewpoint - we all have differences in our attitude toward porsches and how they are used, and that's nice we can express em on this site in that regard

we just have to think of eBay as worldwide advertising at a relatively low cost --

you can put the same ad on World, or on Pelican or Craigslist and never find the guys with the real money - all you get are lots of lowballer flakes

porbmw
I called it a gasket...you're right, it functions as a cover, I gather to cover up the hinging part of the brake...ie...it has accordion/corrugated type relief.

But do the later ones have covers? Somewhere I have one or two ebrakes for a 73 and a 74...I don't recall any covers, but then they've been buried in the stash for a longgggg time.

PM being sent
toolguy
QUOTED FROM ABOVE. . . regarding the nit-picking: I have not yet been to a pca concours where the judges had any clue about the "correctness" of any 914 or component there-on, - and I have never seen a 914 entered in "preservation" class where it would matter. I also doubt we will ever see a showroom stock 914 at Pebble Beach in our lifetimes.

Patience, grasshopper. . . .
6freak
QUOTE(toolguy @ Feb 28 2012, 04:14 PM) *

regarding the nit-picking:
I have not yet been to a pca concours where the judges had any clue about the "correctness" of any 914 or component there-on, - and I have never seen a 914 entered in "preservation" class where it would matter.

Patience, grasshopper. . . .

then you were at the wrong show poke.gif ..few fellas(Judges) in the PNW that know a thing or two about ..correctness.....ya just dont see them at that kinda show , not much anyway...the cars that is
MikeC smile.gif
Tommyfogarty
I'm with the naysayers and nitpickers. It's obviously a nice car, with a great deal of effort put into the restoration. I have no doubt it will and should fetch big money. BUT, if I were in the market for a car like that I would be happy to have the knowledge found here as a resource to sort the wheat from the chaff. Ebay is full of people saying they are selling the "nicest 914/930/Corvette/whatever in the world".
URY914
Problem is we know too much about these little sons of bitches.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Tommyfogarty @ Mar 1 2012, 02:57 AM) *

I'm with the naysayers and nitpickers. It's obviously a nice car, with a great deal of effort put into the restoration. I have no doubt it will and should fetch big money. BUT, if I were in the market for a car like that I would be happy to have the knowledge found here as a resource to sort the wheat from the chaff. Ebay is full of people saying they are selling the "nicest 914/930/Corvette/whatever in the world".

agree.gif

Saying it is the nicest 914/6 in the world is ok. Saying it is the best restored 914/6 in the world implies this car would score very close to 100 pts. in a concours and that is clearly not the case.
Anybody without substantial expertise would be crazy to spend that much money, regardless whether the current owner is losing money at that price, without doing some research on the car. They would be very lucky to find this thread while doing that research.
Once they have read this they can make an educated decision if they want a stunning 914/6 with a leather interior, or if they want to hold out for something closer to a 100 point car.
To me the best restored 914/6 in the world would have started with an undamaged numbers matching car, which this car was not, and would have finished with all of the right bits, pieces and finishes, which this car did not.
Personally, I don't care if he spent $100k on the car it isn't worth $50k to me...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.