Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OMG, High Gas Prices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JawjaPorsche
When I was in high school in the 60's, I worked at a gas station. Gas was 28 cents back then. People never filled up. They would come in and ask for a couple dollars! Plus they got their oil, water, and air checked not to mention I cleaned their windshield! Now you would be lucky if a couple of dollars would buy a half gallon!

In North Georgia we are paying $3.65 for 10% and $3.85 for 100% gas.

What is your area ripping you off for? blink.gif
mrbubblehead
4.55 a gallon for premium in so cal.
ww914
$4.40 for regular on the CA Central Coast
billh1963
$3.39 for regular unleaded
biosurfer1
regular has rocketed up in the last week around here...about $4.25 for the "cheap stuff" now. I went to safeway to fill up my 914 last Friday, on Saturday when I took my truck in it had gone up $.09 overnight!
flipb
Regular is around $3.75 near here.

I remember paying $0.89/gal in metro Atlanta in the mid-90's. Georgia supposedly had some of the lowest gas prices in the nation due to proximity to gulf refineries and low gas taxes.
Bruce Hinds
I too worked at a gas station during high school and college in the late '60s... gas was about 25 cents, but in 1968 in Oklahoma we had gas wars.... 17 cents/gallon!

Phoenix 3.65-3.85 this week Tucson 3.45-3.65 are the lower prices for regular. WA state usually runs 20-30 cents more....
nsr-jamie
Almost 8 dollars a gallon here in Japan for the good gas which my car needs...it hurts to fill up....I can barely afford it anymore....don't get to drive the car as much as I wish I could cause I can't afford the gas and with my big four motor and those dual 40mm Dellortos doesn't help much either.
Ferg
3.05 here for regular, but it's ticking up.
biosurfer1
also, this is why I'm going to look at a civic this afternoon. My Tacoma isn't cutting it since I now have a 25 mile each way commute.
SUNAB914
$3.57 for 10% reg here, twenty cent more for premium.
rick 918-S
Part of the reason I'm out of two 914 events this year already and may be out all together. When your driving 2-4K miles at a shot it does not make financial sense. Gas has gone up 85+% in 3 years and climbing. Time for real hope and real change and not just jingling in my pocket.
Andyrew
Looks like im going to take the motorcycle to work this week smile.gif Mmmm 75mpg

4.09 is about as low as it gets in my town.
jcambo7
3.90 in Puyallup, WA and Everett was 3.99 last weekend. headbang.gif 52 bucks to fill up my accord. Don't even want to know how much to fill up my truck... ar15.gif
76-914
I don't know. I just pay it. But I do remember as a kid working in a "filling station" and cleaning a few front windshields extra, extra good. shades.gif
Series9
$3.80 in Central FL.
jtf914
3.97 for 89 here in CT
flipb
On a related note, what does everyone put in their 914s? Primarily those with original engines...

I put 87 Oct E10 in my DD, but I usually opt for 89 or 91 Oct E10 for the 914. Is there any mechanical benefit to doing so? Or is it just my psychological benefit of knowing "if I treat her well, she'll reciprocate."?

Can't find ethanol-free around me, so I add the proper amount of Sta-bil, unless I expect to drive a lot in the coming ~2 weeks.
jcambo7
QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 28 2012, 11:24 AM) *

On a related note, what does everyone put in their 914s? Primarily those with original engines...

I put 87 Oct E10 in my DD, but I usually opt for 89 or 91 Oct E10 for the 914. Is there any mechanical benefit to doing so? Or is it just my psychological benefit of knowing "if I treat her well, she'll reciprocate."?

Can't find ethanol-free around me, so I add the proper amount of Sta-bil, unless I expect to drive a lot in the coming ~2 weeks.

I use 92 octane without ethanol in my 914 6. Here is a link that I used to find ethanol free gas stations in washington. The link takes you to VA.
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VA
JRust
$4.89 for Diesel sad.gif . Cost me $175 to fill my Excursion last friday. It was only like $4.29 then too dry.gif . Lucky for me my work pays for it as it's my work rig. Going to be a shock for me filling the 914 on the way to Route in a few weeks screwy.gif
Beach914
$4.41 for Premium to fill up my Alfa 164 at an Arco here in Huntington Beach over the weekend.

Unfortunately all my cars require premium. Sucks.....
sofi2t81
Well,

You don't know how lucky you are here in the US flag.gif

In July I will be back in Germany and the price there is $8.41 a gallon at the moment. (1,66 Eur a liter) headbang.gif

Peter

veltror
When i lived in the US, cost of petrol did not even figure in my cost of living. It was to all intents and purposes free. This explained why there were all these POS land whale which di not miles, auto gearbox which ate more fuel, big heavy and uneconomical and nobody gave a crap.

In europe we have been hurting always for the cost of fuel, which is why I cannot understand why anybody buys a petrol car as a daily driver, a good diesel is economic, powerful and just makes more sense. If you want to see how really expensive fule is look here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21...VAT-petrol.html

Despite all of this Hybrids are no the answer, unless you use them to make an artificail reef somewhere...
brp986s
The hidden tax of inflation. The price of gold and fuel tell the tale: It's time to pay for the unpaid-for wars, stimulus, bailouts, etc.

Hopefully the price will stay high enough, long enough to clear a lot of excess tonnage off the roads. happy11.gif

ILBT

poorsche914
East Tennessee 10% ethanol
$3.44 yesterday morning.
$3.55 in the afternoon blink.gif

100% is about a dime more per gallon. Put some in my wife's DD Honda a week or so ago and saw a 2-3 mpg increase!
rnellums
QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 28 2012, 11:24 AM) *

Someone can jump in and correct me, but I was under the impression that for our old engines the compression is low enough that premium fuel doesn't buy anything. The only benefit I can think of is buying fuel without ethanol to preserve the fuel line rubber.
914pwer
here in sweden we pay 15.28kronor/liter 2.18$/liter
that is about 8.2$/gallon for 95 oct icon8.gif barf.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 28 2012, 06:28 AM) *

No ripoff here, at $4 plus change gas is still only about half of what it costs where i grew up.

I won't be complaining until it hits around $8 per gallon, which is what 1 (US) gallon of normal grade gas currently cost in Germany.

driving.gif
underthetire
4.34 this morning for 'ol 87 octane.

That was a Chevron though, could have got it cheaper if i planned correctly. Didn't want to be late for work.

Wish there was some decent diesels here, not that the TDI's aren't good, but i want something in between a car and a 3/4ton truck! I keep waiting for Mahindra to release the small truck, but loosing hope quickly.
DRPHIL914
I paid 3.42 just outside columbia, sc last night.
95 $ to fill up the Navigator, but I got 20mpgthe with a full.car.
In thethe 914 i put 89 octane no-ethanol gas. That was 3.50 last week, today it was 3:85!
But our jag takes premium, but 7centsI off today at Enmark plus $14cents off for getting.car wash helps
SLITS
$4.19 yesterday for 87.

Edit:

$4.25 today for 87.
Tom_T

When I was in high school in the 60's, I worked at a gas station. Gas was 28 cents back then. People never filled up. They would come in and ask for a couple dollars! Plus they got their oil, water, and air checked not to mention I cleaned their windshield! Now you would be lucky if a couple of dollars would buy a half gallon!

In North Georgia we are paying $3.65 for 10% and $3.85 for 100% gas.

It's been north of $4 per gal regular here in SoCal for weeks now, & last week the jacked $0.25 in a couple of days! sheeplove.gif

60's in gas station also means you remember the 70's gas rationing lines! blink.gif

I had bought my Dad's 69 Pontiac 4dr Ventura with a 400cid auto for college 70-74, in which I sat in those lines, which was part of the reason for moving to a sports car with better mpg ASAP after college- leading to my 73 914-2.0 purchase in Dec. 75!

More Fun! driving.gif

... & the second crisis in the late 70's was much less painful!
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 28 2012, 01:33 PM) *

No ripoff here, at $4 plus change gas is still only about half of what it costs where i grew up.

I won't be complaining until it hits around $8 per gallon, which is what 1 (US) gallon of normal grade gas currently cost in Germany.

driving.gif

Yeah, but Andy - half of that $8 is taxes which they actually put to good use over there - at least for the most part. Ditto for the other Euroland prices noted above.

The baseline cost of the fuel product itself is surprisingly close just about everywhere, with taxes & smog control blending requirements (e.g. here in CA for the latter) are the biggest price differential both here in the US & elsewhere.

The big oil companies aren't earning multi-billion dollar profits every quarter (4x a year) sine the early 2000s - & NOT because it's a thin margin - they make huge retail mark-ups on gas marketing here & everywhere!! dry.gif

BTW - in the 70's oil crises it was a lot of price manipulation & stock withholding going on by the big oil companies, oil tankers doing circles in the Gulf of Mexico & Pacific, Crude Tanks filled with refined gasoline to hold back supplies, etc.

I know cuz I worked at Texaco PT in LA during college & was shown production & storage charts by one of the engineers "upstairs" once, correcting me when I said the supply was a problem; and have heard similar info. from several others who worked at Shell, Chevron, etc. back then & since.
Madswede
Been hovering around $3.40/gal for regular unleaded (~10% EtOH) here in New Mexico. It doesn't bother me one bit though, since I'm still in euphoria from 12+ years of commuting 200 miles a day down to 40 miles a day. smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
Can't hold off inflation forever. This is just the beginning. When the price of energy goes up, the price of EVERYTHING goes up. Maybe if we stopped exporting so much oil? Gotta go where the profit is I guess. "After all, we are not communists". (Don Barzini). happy11.gif
polo classic
QUOTE(914pwer @ Feb 28 2012, 08:56 PM) *

$10,21 pr gallon here in Oslo today......
DEC
QUOTE(914pwer @ Feb 28 2012, 08:56 PM) *

Today the same in Germany
MDG
Over 5 bucks a gallon - converting liters to gallons it's around $5.15 a gallon.
somd914
Regular is running about $3.70 and premium is around $4.00 in southern Maryland.

Had to chuckle the other week while channel surfing I came across congressional hearings for the Keystone Pipeline project running from Canada to Texas. The distinguished congresman speaking at that time was arguing we need the pipeline in order to reduce our dependency on foreign oil! For all of our Canadian friends out there, when did you become our 51st state? I guess I missed that in the news...
MDG
No only that, Canada is already the biggest supplier of crude oil to the US. Guess it's a good thing we're not a foreign nation.
Bleyseng
its running $5.65 here in Suriname where we export crude oil but can't refine it to gas or diesel so it comes back from Trinidad or Hugo C.
dr.tim
$3.14 /gal today in MT.

Too bad I have a 2500 mile roundtrip to $$CA$$ planned this weekend to pick up a 914.
Irish914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Feb 28 2012, 06:52 AM) *

Almost 8 dollars a gallon here in Japan for the good gas which my car needs...it hurts to fill up....I can barely afford it anymore....don't get to drive the car as much as I wish I could cause I can't afford the gas and with my big four motor and those dual 40mm Dellortos doesn't help much either.

wow i can only imagine the price of goods in japan if gas is already so high
Mike Bellis
I just paid $125 to fill the tank on my truck sad.gif Glad I have a company gas card biggrin.gif

agree.gif WTF.gif

Bullshit wall street speculators... KMA.gif
'73-914kid
$4.33 here... thank goodness the 914 gets good gas mileage
RickS
Was planning a drive from Seattle to SoCal and back in May, but at these pricesand at 18 MPG - fugitaboutit. Much cheaper to fly, eat, and stay in a nice place.
kd0kqq
i'm a full on ethanol junkie I build my 1980 camaro to run on e-85 I have a holly double pumper on it because you do have to burn more of it

I love my little engine in it tho 377 11:1 compression and yes I love seeing all the naysayers every one said it was a junk fuel and never would work but it at my house in grand island ne. If you dont believe me come and see it.

about $0.60 less a gallon beats race fuel all to hell I'm also going to use it in my 914 v8 with the 283 not nearly the same compression tho going for more like 9.5:1

E-10 price here is $3.54
E-85 price here is $2.89
Madswede
QUOTE(kd0kqq @ Feb 29 2012, 11:38 PM) *

i'm a full on ethanol junkie I build my 1980 camaro to run on e-85 I have a holly double pumper on it because you do have to burn more of it

I love my little engine in it tho 377 11:1 compression and yes I love seeing all the naysayers every one said it was a junk fuel and never would work but it at my house in grand island ne. If you dont believe me come and see it.

about $0.60 less a gallon beats race fuel all to hell I'm also going to use it in my 914 v8 with the 283 not nearly the same compression tho going for more like 9.5:1

E-10 price here is $3.54
E-85 price here is $2.89

"naysayers" ...? "beats race fuel" ...? eh? confused24.gif There's tons of evidence on the fact that older engines not particularly designed to handle fuels with EtOH in them suffering problems, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the cost of gas right now (which is this thread's topic).

Nothing wrong with ethanol, methinks, with the right engine design (read:racing applications and/or semi-racing street rods). Seems to me quite a lot of race gas is E-85 ...
http://imsaracing.net/2012/events/sebring/...ntry%20List.pdf
Everything else you said makes total sense, and I would expect where you live that corn-to-EtOH being such a local industry makes that sort of gas blend cheaper.

Regardless, it should be obvious that for high-compression and forced induction motors that ethanol is one of the main ingredients in fuel that helps raise the octane (i.e. stability) of the fuel, making it desirable for such setups. Of course it does carry the penalty of lesser energy output per mass/volume than other fuels, but it's better than blowing the head off your engine...

I guess I'm just saying that, with all respect, I think you missed the point here completely. No one in their right/educated mind would argue that with the proper engine setup that ethanol-enhanced fuel is great, but that's sort of besides the point of how much one may pay for said fuel. Lotsa peeps here are sorta forced to use non-EtOH fuels due to the older style engine setups methinks.
Ed_F
Wow, I guess I shouldn't complain about $3.59 a gallon for 87 blink.gif

It might be time to consider an old Geo Metro barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif
DRPHIL914

Today in beaufort, SC

regular 87 octane 10%e= $3.55
no-ethanol 89 octane = $3.88- wacko.gif
93 premium@same local=$3.88-

i usually use the no-e in my 914, and it usually about .15 more than regular.

screwy.gif

here is a good one. 20 miles up the road at I95 the gas was $3.75 for regular - price gougers barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.