Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why won't it fit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ww914
When I had my '75 2.0 engine rebuilt, I back dated the headers to SS. My original bracket didn't fit anymore so I ordered a 914 1.7, 1.8 1970-74 bracket. It doesn't fit either. Is the transmission different or am I missing something else. Thanks in advance to anyone who has done this.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914itis
I had the same issue, I think that the side and tail shift brackets are different.
billh1963
That's a nice looking set up!
AZ914
The pre-75 exchangers and brackets are different for the 2.0 and the 1.7/1.8. It appears you have 2.0 exchangers so you would need the 2.0 bracket.
Kirmizi
agree.gif
914itis
I just installed a 1.7 HE on my 2.0l over the weekend, I used a 1.7 hanger and it works fine, no issues. The bracket have to match the heat exhangers not the engine size + whether it is a side or tail shift.
JeffBowlsby
You need hanger B. Engman makes them new.
ww914
Here is the original bracket. No holes line up.

Click to view attachment

Here is the 1.7, 1.8 bracket. Looking at the photo, the left side of the bracket is shorter than the right side. The left side almost fits, but the right side is way off.

Click to view attachment

Oh well, guess I will just have to roll out the welder and make one of them work.
JmuRiz
You need the "B" bracket in the pictures.

BTW REALLY cool looking coated Triad exhaust!!!
ww914
Thanks to everyone who has replied, especially to Jeff and Nathan. I just ordered Part B from Engman. What a great source of information on this site. Thanks again to everyone.

Now I can roll the welder back in.
SirAndy
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:46 AM) *
It appears you have 2.0 exchangers so you would need the 2.0 bracket.

agree.gif

You have 2.0L SSIs and you need a 2.0L muffler hanger ...
smile.gif
ww914
Thanks Andy. I guess you would know, you helped me load the darn things.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ww914 @ Feb 29 2012, 10:12 AM) *
Thanks Andy. I guess you would know, you helped me load the darn things.

I thought that engine looked familiar! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
gothspeed
I really like the carb linkage w00t.gif !!!!! What is it and where can I get one idea.gif ???
patrick3000
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 29 2012, 01:21 PM) *

I really like the carb linkage w00t.gif !!!!! What is it and where can I get one idea.gif ???

x2
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ww914 @ Feb 29 2012, 11:09 AM) *

Here is the original bracket. No holes line up.

Here is the 1.7, 1.8 bracket. Looking at the photo, the left side of the bracket is shorter than the right side. The left side almost fits, but the right side is way off.

Oh well, guess I will just have to roll out the welder and make one of them work.

Those are 2.0L heat exchangers. They don't "kick up" at the end. The muffler bracket is for a 1.7/1.8L.

Get the right bracket and it will fit. No welding required.
ww914
Mark Di Bernardi installed the carb linkage. Give him a call.
LotusJoe
Where did you get the muffler?
tod914
Looks like your bare metal bracket is a re-pop. Like the other guys mentioned, you'll still need 73-74 2.0 bracket. Had a 2.0 re-pop, and the quality wasn't that great. It also had alignment issues. Would suggest finding a good used one if you can. Motor looks great.
aircooledtechguy
Here's where you can get the linkage. This is really good stuff. Worth every penny. . .
ww914
Joe

The muffler is a Triad and was coated by Jet Hot. I have not heard it yet, but I will report when I do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.