Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Power to Cigarette Lighter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
With the engine on, or in acccessory position, the lighter will not heat up or even go into the heat mode and stay put. It just springs right out Used my test probes on the switched-on power button (and ground) and it is dead. All the fuses are fine, everything else in the car works (except I have the headlights unplugged and out). Ideas of where to look? (need it for radar detector). Haven't used it for probably 4 months, and it worked then. TIA
Jeffs9146
Check to see if the wire is attached in the back!
RickS
that was the first thing I checked - both the ground and switched hot are well connected.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(RickS @ Feb 29 2012, 05:39 PM) *

that was the first thing I checked - both the ground and switched hot are well connected.

Is there power to the switched wire? If not check the fuse then check for the same color wire hooked to the fuse that is hooked to the back of the lighter! I think it is red with a green stripe!
markb
The same fuse runs the wipers. Got power there?
Jeffs9146
And the heater blower motor!
RickS
Had to run the wipers - no more heater blower - it was tossed with the conversion to the 6.

All the fuses are perfect. Everything on the car works fine. I tested the power to the switch wire with the ignition on and there was zero zilch.
Jeffs9146
If you have power to the wire in the back of the CL then it is a broken element in the CL and you need another one!
Tom
It is actually the fresh air blower. Fuse #8, 16 amp. Should have 3 wires coming off of the fused side of that fuse. Looks like a 1.0mm wire, red with black stripe.
One each to fresh air blower (1.5mm), windshield wipers (1.0mm), and cig lighter (1.0mm).
Tom
bulitt
Does your radar detector work in the socket?
RickS
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 1 2012, 04:51 AM) *

Nope. No power to switched hot lead
r_towle
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 1 2012, 07:51 AM) *

common issue with european lighter sockets.

Go to walmart and get a replacement cig lighter socket...just the socket.
Cut the back off the socket with a dremel.
You are trying to make a tubular sleave that will fit into the euro lighter.

this sleave reduced the size so chargers once again work.
Its not permanent, so you can pull it out and put it in the glove box.

Rich
RickS
Solution: bad U.S. Fuse. Replaced with a German one and all is good. Never trust the ones at the local auto-parts store
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.