Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My one year anniversary
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
As some of you know, I am a gout sufferer. For those who don't know, its a terrible, painful disease. I knew what the "bad foods" were and avoided them. Still, about every 4 to 6 months I had an "attack" that could last as long as three weeks. Sometimes I would spend two of those weeks not being able to walk without the help of a cane and lots of pain meds. Last January I had a bout that lasted almost two months. One week my foot would hurt. It would clear up and the next day my elbow would swell and hurt. This went on from week to week. March 1 2011, I had my last drink of alcohol. I've been gout free since then and my uric acid level has dropped to half of what it used to be. Today is my one year anniversary of being sober. Now, I never figured myself an alcoholic, and I do love beer and wine (not to mention a good single malt). Besides the obvious health benefits, I've found so many "hidden" benefits. I immediately lost 30 pounds around the belly. My bank account balance has increased by about $500 bucks a month(easy 20 bucks a day for a good bottle of french red). I don't ever have to worry about getting arrested for a dui.

The bad part is the one arm guy who cleaned the beer cans from my trash can has lost a little income. Sorry dude, but your loss is my gain.
Valy
Don't know Curtis, but counting your posts on this board, seems you just changed your addiction.
And reading their content makes me wonder who's really sober?

LOL

Keep on like that!
TheCabinetmaker
If you take my post count, member #, and join date, I'm way behind most folks here.

"And reading their content makes me wonder who's really sober?"
Not really sure just what that meant.
jcd914
Congratulations!
rmital
NICE! flag.gif
it's good to feel good.... biggrin.gif

the 914 addiction is a much better/healthier one....not that I'm infering any other issues...keep on keeping on Curt, one day at a time
Valy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 1 2012, 08:02 AM) *

If you take my post count, member #, and join date, I'm way behind most folks here.

"And reading their content makes me wonder who's really sober?"
Not really sure just what that meant.

Never mind that.
Just keep on the way you are. We like you sober. smile.gif
luskesq
Congrats Curt and I agree with Ray, "one day at a time". birthday3.gif piratenanner.gif

Keith
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks guys. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bible thumping, I see nothing wrong with alcohol use. I don't mind being around it, and don't care if you get smashed. Its just something I had to do. The fringe benefits are ok too.

Hey Valy, Just cause I don't drink anymore doesn't mean I'm not still an asshole!!!!!!!!!!!!!! devil.gif
Tom
You have a lot of mental strength to do that. Good for ya! smile.gif I expect a lot of folks faced with the same circumstances would have some issues adapting to no more beer.
Case in point, I was in my local drinking hole for a cool one some time back and saw an acquaintance with his foot up on the next stool. I asked him what had happened and he said he had gout in his foot and it hurt like hell. I said, don't you know alcohol makes it worse? He said my doctor says the same thing! Then he ordered another whiskey and water! His gout went on for about a month and he never stopped drinking. Don't know what he is thinking, but I am not going to be the one to educate him.
Tom
m170seeker
Today's my 20th birthday! Congrats!
Valy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 1 2012, 11:19 AM) *

Hey Valy, Just cause I don't drink anymore doesn't mean I'm not still an asshole!!!!!!!!!!!!!! devil.gif

Exactly my thoughts!
Being sober allows you to better focus on being what you are best.
lol-2.gif
TheCabinetmaker
bootyshake.gif
914_teener
Interesting thread ........sorry no P content but seeing as uric acid is part of P(ee), I think it qualifies.

I came to the same conclusion after finding that I had mild sleep apnea. I had an attack of gout in my hand. It happened after a couple of pints of wonderful brew during a football game. I have come to find out that people that have sleep apenea tend to predispose to have gout due to the deoxidizing and build up of uric acid in the blood at night. Drinking beer compunds this.

I am not drinking anymore either.......after a very painful experience......I am glady dry!

No regrets....I've done my fair share.
Bills914-4
Congrats & birthday3.gif , Bill D. 9+ years smile.gif
Tom_T
Good for you Curt!

No more creaky joints .... or less so at least! biggrin.gif

I'll be thru Tulsa again around the 4th weekend of April, so I'll give you a shout when I know more about my schedule & maybe we can grab a bite again somewhere.

Best!
Tom
///////
BMXerror
$500 a month!?! ohmy.gif That's my entire race budget!
Mark D.
76-914
Congrats Dude, all those things you said are true. I pulled the trigger Mar 6 5yr's ago. I do drink at out of state 914 events, which is 1 or 2 times a year or if my wife wants me to have a glass of wine with her which is another 2-3 times a year. I'm a cheap date now. One glass of wine and I feel it. dry.gif
oldschool
Yeah man,I don't drink anymore...I don't drink any less lol-2.gif shades.gif
Mark Henry
Seeing as your member number is the devils address....
IPB Image
Prospectfarms
I had gout once, only in one finger, and boy did that suck. Years later the middle joint remains a little swollen.

When alcohol is part of your life but begins to cause pain it's hard to make a decision to stop. It affects people differently. Like you, it made my body sick.

I'm not a member of "the club," but I woke up one-too-many mornings feeling bad. I haven't drunk since. That was 15 years ago, and for a lot of reasons I'm very glad.

Thanks for letting me know about your experience.
EdwardBlume
Keep up the good work! cheer.gif
relentless
Sorry to hear you suffer from gout. As a fellow sufferer, I know there probably isn't anything more painful than a severe attack. But, since I can't seem to give up my beer, I found a couple solutions.

Bee venom (really), which can be purchased from the Church of England. In the old days they used to let a bee sting the affected area, usually the big toe.

Indomethacin or Indocin. Miracle pills in a bottle that I always keep some on hand. As soon as I feel an attack coming on I take two of the pills, then take another one about 6 to 12 hours later, and every 12 hours after that until I am sure the attack is subsiding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.