Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: My Type 456- A sneak peek
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jake Raby
The Type 456 interior is done!!! Its unreal!
Wait till I show you the rest of this '64C.. All in time.

BTW- Ferrari seats are a perfect fit in a 356!
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
JFJ914
Looking good, Jake!
Jake Raby
Jentz,
These are crappy pics in a dimly lit corner of the upholstery shop.. The colors are unreal in person and especially in sunlight. The contrast with the 2012 GT3 RS color "Grey-Black" is unreal.
Spoke
Excellent!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 1 2012, 05:57 PM) *

Jentz,
These are crappy pics in a dimly lit corner of the upholstery shop.. The colors are unreal in person and especially in sunlight. The contrast with the 2012 GT3 RS color "Grey-Black" is unreal.

I was just about to comment that I love that Grey! Now I know why, looks great! aktion035.gif
Jake Raby
Finding the paint code was a real bitch!! Sourcing the paint required connections in Germany!
rick 918-S
Very nice, Can't wait to see the rest of it! first.gif
JmuRiz
What kind of Ferrari seats are those?

I'd think the replica speedster seats would be less money.
aircooledtechguy
drooley.gif To hell with the purists; they don't own it.

Lookin, spiffy!! I LOVE the smell of new leather interior. . .

popcorn[1].gif
76-914
The color isn't my first choice but I'm old, hue blind and have no taste. biggrin.gif That being said; beautiful and professional. Nice thumb3d.gif Good work.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 1 2012, 06:40 PM) *

What kind of Ferrari seats are those?

I'd think the replica speedster seats would be less money.

The replica Speedster seats are Chinese.. I hate them and they are generic. These Ferrari seats were great quality and they are super comfy. They also fit the confines of the 356 perfectly and gave a different look to the interior that wasn't normal.

The bright red is leather, the blood red is suede. Nothing here was "purchased", its all handmade, to include the headliner. I am having a lot of fun with this one.
The color wasn't my first choice, but I wanted a "loud" car that makes a statement and can really stand out in a crowd of "regular" (boring) 356s. This style couples vintage European sports car styling to the modern American "Hotrod" of today.. Exactly what the car is.
draganc
great design and color picks....but....jake c'mon a cup holder?? LMFAO!

but what the heck, it's your car.
Jake Raby
Yep.. Its a upholder because I make everything functional. I DRIVE my cars!
oldschool
bandit.gif ....who did your stuff man... aktion035.gif love it.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 1 2012, 07:35 PM) *

bandit.gif ....who did your stuff man... aktion035.gif love it.

An old friend of mine way up in the North Carolina mountains... He does mostly 32 Fords and the like. If anyone wants to use his services I can get you in touch. He is unreal!
JmuRiz
Glad you'll be driving it, I wish I didn't take the metro to work sad.gif

PM me the details on the seat bases, I have stock ones in mine but it may be nice to have more support for spirited drives. It's funny, I drive the 356 harder than I do the 914...for now smile.gif
KaptKaos
Nice workmanship. You really must like red!

Can;t wait to see finished pics.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 1 2012, 07:58 PM) *

Glad you'll be driving it, I wish I didn't take the metro to work sad.gif

PM me the details on the seat bases, I have stock ones in mine but it may be nice to have more support for spirited drives. It's funny, I drive the 356 harder than I do the 914...for now smile.gif

The seat bases were fabbed from scratch.. These seats were really easy to mount and thats one reason that I used them. The rake they have is perfect.

I drive 88+ miles per day, thats how I put 160,000miles on my 912E in 8 years. I won't drive the car all the time, because I share the driving load between my Double Cab, '88 911, Beth's 79 Vert, my '79 Iltis and on rainy days I drive my 03 Duramax.. No matter how hard I try I can't build something only for show.

The intense red is actually part of my branding for the car. When you see it all come together you'll understand.
tod914
Very tastefully done Jake. Love those arm rests on the door panels.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 1 2012, 08:44 PM) *

Very tastefully done Jake. Love those arm rests on the door panels.

I am with you... The stock stuff really just sticks out in the middle of nowhere.. Billy made a mold from scratch to build these from and he did the same thing in Beth's Vert. They are super comfortable and add different styling.

I get the car back on Tuesday and I'll post some better pics and a few of the exterior as well. I have to re-d some suspension pieces and go through the tranny and change the gears out for some super tall ones to use the torque of the engine I have built for it..

Then it's time to have fun with the purists! BUT I probably won't go to many Porsche events with it, I'd rather crash the Hotrod shows where I can actually enjoy myself instead of having the shit bothered out of me!
tod914
Why have the shit bothered out of you, when you can put it in their face instead smile.gif Definetly do a few shows! With that quality of work, I'm sure you'll get enough compliments to put a grin on your face. A couple guys have Outlaws that do quite well at the PCA events, up here north of the Mason Dixon. Your interior guy has some skittles to say the least. It's all about enjoying it smile.gif I'm sure you'll eat up many a stock car on track by the time it's said and done. Looking foward to more shots.
Jake Raby
When I attend Porsche events and VW shows alike I can't have any fun because I get 10,000 questions about engines.. Sometimes if I go I can hide but with a car that pops this loud in every way that won't happen.

Billy is the best!! My Double Cab goes to him next but it will be alot more utilitarian than the 356.
'73-914kid
I've never been a real 356 guy, but damn that looks good Jake. Great color scheme.

What are you going to be running as a powerplant? I assume type IV, but what are the details?
Jake Raby
What are you going to be running as a powerplant? I assume type IV, but what are the details?

Yes, MassIVe power for sure!!

The engine I have built on deck for it now makes the power in the graph below as a 2,430cc combo. I plan to use this one over the summer and fall, then swap in my 2,980cc Turbo engine. I want to take plenty of time to perfect that combo in my lab before it ever goes into the car.

Click to view attachment

Smitty911
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 2 2012, 01:27 PM) *

Yes, MassIVe power for sure!!

The engine I have built on deck for it now makes the power in the graph below as a 2,430cc combo. I plan to use this one over the summer and fall, then swap in my 2,980cc Turbo engine. I want to take plenty of time to perfect that combo in my lab before it ever goes into the car.

Click to view attachment

Jake,

Nice looking wheels. If I'm not mistaken, your graph shows over 200hp. According to the HONDA followers you need VTEC to get that done. av-943.gif

Nice work, looking forward the full photo shoot.

Smitty
Jake Raby
Nice looking wheels. If I'm not mistaken, your graph shows over 200hp.

The torque is all I care about on that graph, and where it is made in the RPM range. This is done with 9.8:1 CR, on pump gas with a camshaft with less than 295 degrees of duration and LE 200 heads. Its all in the combo.
FourBlades

Can't wait to see the whole car...

drooley.gif

John
JmuRiz
Impressive specs for a 2.4....I'm guessing EFI?

BTW a 356 with 200hp would be a friggin' rocketship aktion035.gif Mine with probably 105-110 does just fine on the street.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 2 2012, 01:57 PM) *

Impressive specs for a 2.4....I'm guessing EFI?

BTW a 356 with 200hp would be a friggin' rocketship aktion035.gif Mine with probably 105-110 does just fine on the street.

Nope.. No EFI on these graphs.. Just 45mm Dellorto DRLA carbs. FI doesn't make big peak power on these engines; it adds drivability. My engines never have drivability issues, even at power levels well over 200HP, and Dells that are properly tuned and modified drive just as well as FI IMHO.

This first engine will remain carbureted since it is a carb specific combo and has a crappy vacuum signature for EFI. The Turbo engine will run full Electromotive Engine Management when the time comes. If I am happy with the 2,430cc engine I might just leave it in place for good.
sixnotfour
Grey/Blk is a cool color my buddy painted a RSR, my son's Golf mk4 and his personal 930 the same. All after we saw Ted Anthony's GT3 in The color.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 2 2012, 04:00 PM) *

Grey/Blk is a cool color my buddy painted a RSR, my son's Golf mk4 and his personal 930 the same. All after we saw Ted Anthony's GT3 in The color.

Did you have one hell of a time finding the paint code???
sixnotfour
my buddy has a shop & does a bunch of Porsches and has contacts.
we are lucky up here pnw is pretty Pcar rich.
Cantrell Motorsports, built the first car with the color, so they dug it up..
Jake Raby
Here is a little broader shot before the seats went in.. You can get an idea of the exterior color better from it. (still needs to be color sanded and buffed)

IPB Image
JmuRiz
Cool color, 356 and 911 look really nice in that color. I also loved the old Audi dolphin grey, very similar.

Cool deal about the Dell 45s, those are awesome when setup right.
I haven't put in my cheap 6, but I couldn't afford that 2.4, as oddball-cool as it'd be.
Jake Raby
In person this color looks different than any other Porsche grey color I have seen.. Deep and rich with a chocolate base...
TJB/914
Jake,

Beautiful color combo. You have a great eye for style.

Tom
scotty b
Creaming wub.gif

Jake, I'd like the guys number and info. I'm having a hell of a time finding a decent upholstry guy around here. Hard enough time I have bought a machine and was going to make a go of it myself dry.gif But in retrospect, I really don't need another project right now unsure.gif
Jake Raby
Scotty... This guy is just a country boy and he doesn't advertise. Get with me and I'll give you his contact info.
pete-stevers
Have to say... I really dig those colors....it pops
914 shifter
i like the reserve switch/valve/petcock under the dash still there ? mad.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(914 shifter @ Mar 2 2012, 11:30 PM) *

i like the reserve switch/valve/petcock under the dash still there ? mad.gif

Nope.. The car uses a fuel safe fuel bladder inside the skin of the original tank.
This car was a race car for 40 years, the true definition of an outlaw. It has extensive race history.
Jaymann
Wow!! That car looks awesome,I am starting to believe, that the devil might really live in Georgia.Jaymann
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Jaymann @ Mar 5 2012, 09:51 AM) *

Wow!! That car looks awesome,I am starting to believe, that the devil might really live in Georgia.Jaymann

The Devil theme sounds good.. I hadn't thought of that!
Elliot Cannon
I visited an establishment in New Orleans once, the interior of which looked very much the same as this car. av-943.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 5 2012, 10:36 AM) *

I visited an establishment in New Orleans once, the interior of which looked very much the same as this car. av-943.gif

I am sure that trip had a happy ending.
Woody
I just put a roll bar and harnesses in this. I am truly a fan of an interior like that if done right. Well done Jake. IPB Image

IPB Image
Jake Raby
Sweet!! Mine is brighter though!
Woody
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 6 2012, 01:33 PM) *

Yes it definitly is. You're upholstery guy is amazing. I also dig the paint. Beautiful combo.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 6 2012, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 6 2012, 01:33 PM) *

Yes it definitly is. You're upholstery guy is amazing. I also dig the paint. Beautiful combo.

Just wait till I get the car back at my shop and get some good pics of it in the bright sun!
Woody
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.