Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valance Surface Rust Teatment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
Here's some shots of my typical surface rust issues.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I want to take care of the surface rust on the valances (front, rear and sides) as well as the back sides of the bumpers so they'll be nice and pretty for Hershey next month. I'm interested in a stock look but don't care about being perfect (rattle cans are fine). I've never done this before so I'm wondering about preparation, treatment and paint for these parts. Specifically my questions are:

Is it best to grind/sand the surface rust off first before a prep solution is used?

What prep solutions work best?

What primer and paint products work best?

Thanks everyone,

John
underthetire
Bring it down, get it bead blasted, then get Wurth paint to match.
914werke
what Rust laugh.gif

Knock down with wire brush then treat with Ospho or similar.
tod914
The black paint is very tough. You might want to use a chemical stripper on it first, if your going the route of repainting the whole thing. Or, you could have it baked off. I had a set of rocker covers get warped from media blasting. Valances hold up a bit better, but why risk it. Back side is just primer, if you want to keep the original look. Seems alot of guys go with Wurth Satin trim. SEM makes a good match too from what I understand. Pat or one of the other CW guy wrote up a how to do, in Originality forum some time ago. Might be worth a search if you want to replicate that texture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.