Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Media blasting cabinet?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Not looking for anything spectacular. Just something to blast my small parts with. Anybody have one of these units? http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blas...inet-42202.html . Going to go to Harbor freight tonight to get one
Jeffs9146
Lennies914 has one and it is quite small!! It takes a while to turn and blast, turn and blast, turn and blast!!

My hands get tired and the glass gets covered very quickly so get some of the peel off things if you do get one!

It does work for smaller parts!
clow
Here is a thread I had a few weeks ago. Might help you out.

Linky Thing

I got my compressor but haven't got a cabinet yet but it will be my next purchase for the garage!

Clow
rallysport70
I've had so-so success w/mine. The filter gets clogged quickly and requires constant cleaning. It does work "okay" for small stuff. I also have a HF pressurized blaster. It beats blasting in the open....
76-914
I bought one a few month's back. $99. I love it and it will work for larger parts if you open the door and hang a sheet over the opening. It does NOT come with a light. I use this one http://www.harborfreight.com/slim-line-flu...ight-46114.html as it has a magnet to attach it to the top of the cabinet and serves double duty as a service light. bye1.gif
euro911
I had a small HF cabinet similar to the one you posted (I think it was the predecessor to this one - grey metal cabinet), but sold it when I purchased their larger floor-standing model.

If you use a Shop Vac, it's a good idea to slow it's motor speed down with a motor control unit or a variac.

In lieu of a ShopVac, I purchased the HF Reclaimer unit (7-liter vacuum & filter unit for their UBER-LARGE $700. industrial cabinet). It sucks and filters the dust, and deposits the media into a hopper at the bottom. You empty the Reclaimer's hopper into a vessel and pour the media back into the blaster's hopper.

And I agree, the bigger the compressor, the happier you'll be.
Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 2 2012, 06:48 PM) *

I had a small HF cabinet similar to the one you posted (I think it was the predecessor to this one - grey metal cabinet), but sold it when I purchased their larger floor-standing model.

If you use a Shop Vac, it's a good idea to slow it's motor speed down with a motor control unit or a variac.

In lieu of a ShopVac, I purchased the HF Reclaimer unit (7-liter vacuum & filter unit for their UBER-LARGE $700. industrial cabinet). It sucks and filters the dust, and deposits the media into a hopper at the bottom. You empty the Reclaimer's hopper into a vessel and pour the media back into the blaster's hopper.

And I agree, the bigger the compressor, the happier you'll be.

agree.gif

... look for their coupons in car & house magazines & online, then go for the floor model with the reclaim unit, & if you have a compressor already you're set to go. If you do a lot of blasting, then the reclaim unit will pay for itself in reused media.

BTW - the reclaim unit isn't $700, that's for the big blaster. Eastwood & a few others advertise similar medium stand units to HF's, as well as the big uber ones, but I think they're all about the same quality built - so pick the best deal & get at closest or factor prices with free/low shipping cost if far away.

That one you linked is a tiny table top unit with limited utility.
euro911
Yeow blink.gif The HF Reclaimer has gone up to $150. bucks! screwy.gif I got it on sale for $80. bucks a couple of years ago!!! ... that's getting close to a 100% increase in price!!! mad.gif

Fuchin' Chinese companies continuing to screw us sheeplove.gif

Wait until it goes on sale (or a 20% or better coupon comes around)
JRust
I went ahead & picked up the smaller unit. Wanted to do some work in the morning with it. So with my 20% off coupon it was like $80. Probably should have gotten the floor model. I figured at that price even if it doesn't do as good a job as I want. I can see how much I would really use it. If I use it alot I'll upgrade later confused24.gif . Next time I post one of these I better wait at least an hour for some replies before I head out idea.gif
euro911
You did good, Jamie. In hind-sight, I should have kept my small cabinet and converted it into a soda blaster idea.gif

There are certain parts you don't want to blast with anything except soda. 912 oil fillers and oil filter canisters are a prime example shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.