Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New SVDA Dizzy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=395069

I have a 1.7 with a carb cam, and am about to put 40idfs on it (replacing the 44idfs there now). Currently running a 009 and it runs like crap. I have an 050, but methinks something is seriously wrong with it, as I can't get it to even cough.

The 40s have a vacuum port. I have read positive things about vacuum advance, and someone posted about this dizzy.

Any feedback on this? Things I need to be on the lookout for, etc??
NJ914Guy
I have an svda distributor on my 1973 2.0 dual Weber 40 and it works great. I also replaced the old 009 - much better with the vac advance. I went with John at aircooled.net over the hotspark knock-off for quality reasons. My only tip, be sure to set the timing per instructions. I have it connected to the vac ports on my dual 40's with a T adapter.
mrbubblehead
agree.gif
DBCooper
John is a super guy, and KNOWS his shit. Mostly T1, but he's one of those guys honest enough to tell you, straight up, if he's not sure about anything.
NJ914Guy
Here's the link to aircooled.net's SVDA distributor:

SVDA Link

I also had John pre-install the Pertronix points elimination module. He also sells the correct vac advance hose and the T so that you can spilt the vac equally between your carbs.

Here's a link to my 1973 just after the dual Weber 40's and SVDA distributor were installed. Sorry, I had the camera sideways but you can get the idea.

Video of Dual Weber 40 IDF's and SVDA

Hope this helps. And by the way, my car has a stock (non-carb) cam.

KaptKaos
Very cool.

I got one of the 40s on this morning. Off to my kid's softball practice. Putting the other on when I get back. Then maybe next week will order the dizzy.

I have used John before for carb jets and stuff. There seems to be a premium for the SVDA from him compared to others. Any idea why?
914rat
I bought the original Bosch SVDA from Hot Spark for some reason I thought it would be better than the knock off from either ACN or Hot Spark. Only hooked up to 1 vac port on my 40 Dells.Seems fine but I need to get my air fuel mix right before I make a judgement.So far it's seems better than the 009.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 3 2012, 12:56 PM) *

Very cool.

I got one of the 40s on this morning. Off to my kid's softball practice. Putting the other on when I get back. Then maybe next week will order the dizzy.

I have used John before for carb jets and stuff. There seems to be a premium for the SVDA from him compared to others. Any idea why?

i think he either changes the vacuum can or modifies it to work with our carbs. he also changes the advance curve. he isnt soaking us. its not his style.....
KaptKaos
I am having a hard time understanding why John charges $289.95 and hot spark charges $130. Granted, John is installing a pertronix and hot spark uses some other ignition, but that seems like a huge premium.

Again, what am I missing?
jcd914
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 5 2012, 03:15 PM) *

I am having a hard time understanding why John charges $289.95 and hot spark charges $130. Granted, John is installing a pertronix and hot spark uses some other ignition, but that seems like a huge premium.

Again, what am I missing?

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 3 2012, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 3 2012, 12:56 PM) *

Very cool.

i think he either changes the vacuum can or modifies it to work with our carbs. he also changes the advance curve. he isnt soaking us. its not his style.....

mrbubblehead's response seems to explain it.

I have not looked into these so I don't have any facts but I do have it in the back of my head that John is configuring these before reselling them.

Jim

IronHillRestorations
Sometimes you pay more to get a product that is ready to run, sometimes you save money and do free R & D for the seller.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(9146986 @ Mar 5 2012, 05:28 PM) *

Sometimes you pay more to get a product that is ready to run, sometimes you save money and do free R & D for the seller.

While I know in absolute dollars, it's not a lot, but it's over 100% premium. So if there are significant upgrades/changes for type IV motors, then I would reasonably consider the difference. If it is a clone SVDA, with stock advance and pertronix versus hotspark, then I wouldn't consider the premium.

I am not sure what a reasonable premium for John's expertise and support are. I am open to those discussions as well.

Thoughts? Has anyone asked John what he does to his SVDAs? Are they real Bosch units?

LMK Thx
jcd914
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 5 2012, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Mar 5 2012, 05:28 PM) *

While I know in absolute dollars, it's not a lot, but it's over 100% premium. So if there are significant upgrades/changes for type IV motors, then I would reasonably consider the difference. If it is a clone SVDA, with stock advance and pertronix versus hotspark, then I wouldn't consider the premium.

I am not sure what a reasonable premium for John's expertise and support are. I am open to those discussions as well.

Thoughts? Has anyone asked John what he does to his SVDAs? Are they real Bosch units?

LMK Thx

From Aircooled.net:
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewprodu...001&cartid=

"they are based on BRAND NEW Genuine Bosch"

"Starting with a brand new unit, we then re-curve them to OUR SPECS, depending on what induction you are using."

"It is humorous to see other shops and stores starting to jump on the "Vacuum Advance Bandwagon". We developed the SVDA over a decade ago due to our own tuning problems with centrifugal only distributors. ACN was ridiculed and attacked for "selling something that isn't needed", and now these same "experts" are telling everyone of the benefits of vacuum advance. The funny part we educated THEM on how and why it works, and now all of a sudden they are the experts, LOL. We know more about tuning and setting up the SVDA then anyone, even our installation instructions point out several "mistakes" the other guys overlook."

Sounds to me, like John knows what he is doing.
Recurving a distributor is relativly easy.
Recurving a distributor and getting it right, it is hard.

Jim
Rob-O
I thought in addition to what everyone else here said, that John's are German units while the Hot Spark units are Brazilian. No idea if it would make a difference. Call John and ask, he knows Hot Spark is out there, so must have a good reason for the premium.
Rob-O
Oops double post.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Mar 5 2012, 08:41 PM) *

I thought in addition to what everyone else here said, that John's are German units while the Hot Spark units are Brazilian. No idea if it would make a difference. Call John and ask, he knows Hot Spark is out there, so must have a good reason for the premium.

i bought mine from ACN. but i cant remember if it is german or not. i will check and report back.....i'll shoot john an email, maybe he will post up.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 5 2012, 08:38 PM) *

This is the language (BOLD) that has me worried. What does "based on" mean? I guess I will call tomorrow and ask. If those are German Bosch components, I think I could live with the additional costs.

Jim

I agree Jim, but like I said, if I am paying a premium, I would like the quality with it.

I didn't want to call him and offend him. I was hoping someone knew what the real differences are.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Mar 5 2012, 09:02 PM) *

This is the language (BOLD) that has me worried. What does "based on" mean? I guess I will call tomorrow and ask. If those are German Bosch components, I think I could live with the additional costs.

Jim

I agree Jim, but like I said, if I am paying a premium, I would like the quality with it.

I didn't want to call him and offend him. I was hoping someone knew what the real differences are.

i just emailed him kapt. maybe he will register and chime in. he is a super cool dude.
mrbubblehead
here what john said.....

They are Genuine Bosch from Mexico. OEM VW Supplier, they don't make that stuff in Germany, and haven't for 30 years.

The SVDA Copies are all Chinese.

Thanks for the support Doug!

John
NJ914Guy
Agree - the Hot Spark is a Chineese knock off. By the way, before switching to the ACN dizzy and module, I had an old hot spark points elimination module start to go bad on me. Car would run fine for 20 minutes and then the module would heat up and start to fail. As they say, you get what you pay for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.