Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original 914/6 air cleaner ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lightweight_911
Can someone post a picture (or two) of an original air cleaner (top part) inc 'snorkel' ?

I know 911 parts can be fitted but I am interested in how the original 914/6 version looked.
IronHillRestorations
I'll see if I can get my hands on one. The 914-6 part is plastic, and slightly flatter across the top.
toolguy
Your wish is my command. . . I've been putting off trying to figure out how to restore this part. . . got me stumped for now. .
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(toolguy @ Mar 3 2012, 09:15 AM) *

Your wish is my command. . . I've been putting off trying to figure out how to restore this part. . . got me stumped for now. .

I would double check that and make sure it is OEM 914-6. I see the "fire starter" fuel line for MFI on that air cleaner. And unless it is from a 916, there should not be any MFI fittings on it.

campbellcj
I have one in my garage someplace. I suspect it is paintable if you use a plasticized/flexible paint of some sort, like the Wurth trim paint.
sixnotfour
Clay they actually did have the fire starter /cold start , It was quickly removed, by everyone.
avidfanjpl
I had Embee Performance take my 914-6 air cleaner assy and the metal rain hat racks underneath to black satin powdercoat all after they were originally done by THOMAS to redo them due to a lot of scratches before the car got running

They turned out fantastic.

Powdercoating in black satin is wonderful.

J
IronHillRestorations
Is that metal or plastic Toolguy? 914-6 part is plastic
toolguy
It's the black plastic box, not the metal 911 box. . it's been wrapped up for over 30 years. . . .
Eric_Shea
Clay they actually did have the fire starter /cold start , It was quickly removed, by everyone.

agree.gif my six had all of that stuff still hooked up along with the decel valve thingy.

Andy, what makes this different moreover is the snorkel. On a six (as you can see in the pictures) the snorkel hangs to the passengers side. The above box and snorkel are 914-6. I believe there's a hose fitting at the base so you can't turn it over. (maybe not... memory not serving me well)
Lightweight_911
Thanks Eric - that's what I wanted to hear.

I'll post pictures tomorrow of the one I have.
Luke M
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 3 2012, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(toolguy @ Mar 3 2012, 09:15 AM) *

I would double check that and make sure it is OEM 914-6. I see the "fire starter" fuel line for MFI on that air cleaner. And unless it is from a 916, there should not be any MFI fittings on it.

I removed my org. 6 air cleaner and looked just like Dave's ( toolguy ).
My car was untouched until I got a hold of it. Yes, it's made of plastic.
I have since sold the intake but have pics of it.

Luke
Lightweight_911
OK - here's the one I have:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Comments ?
maxwelj
QUOTE(Lightweight_911 @ Mar 5 2012, 05:04 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Comments ?

Mine doesn't have that pipe on the bottom of the snorkle.
GeorgeRud
Was that for a mechanical injected engine? I seem to remember that they had a preheater for the injection system. My original 70 914-6 has a plain tube without the valve assembly.
SLITS
I was thinking MFI .... heater tube goes from HE to pump to Air filter ... moves the rack from rich to lean as engine warms up.

Probably used with later model MFI where the raw gas is shot into the middle of the stacks for start up.

But

I don't really know.
Eric_Shea
Sixes have just the bare snorkel like Luke posted. Memory coming back. biggrin.gif
JMKnight
QUOTE(maxwelj @ Mar 5 2012, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Lightweight_911 @ Mar 5 2012, 05:04 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Comments ?

Mine doesn't have that pipe on the bottom of the snorkle.

This doesn't look anything like the one on my '70??
pete000
This is on a car that was near perfect.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.