Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: German "Drive It!" Car Show on USA TV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
FYI - I've found - again - the German "Drive It!" Car Show on USA TV - aired on KCET 28.4 at ( - 9:30 am Saturdays. I used to watch it during lunch on Thursdays when I didn't have work meetings, but they moved it & my wife just found it again for me - ergo the "again".

They do both car tests of current models in Europe - similar to "Motor Week" aired on PBS (KLCS 58.1 at 11:30 - noon on Saturdays here in SoCal), but they also have a weekly vintage car segment as well. I haen't seen our 914s featured yet, but then I've missed a number of their shows.

It's a pretty good car show - & while I like the US English narrator's voice over much better, than the distracting subtitles which most of the "New KCET's" other foreign programming uses - but I find his repeating the metric specs frustrating.

I really wish he'd at least read out HP, foot-pounds, mpg, etc. - instead of repeating the metric ones on the onscreen charts & that German reporter in the background is saying! dry.gif

I think most Euro folks over here in the USA/Canada can read those charts if you must! biggrin.gif

Their TV show's website is below, if you want to check for coverage in other areas:
http://www.dw.de/dw/0,,9690,00.html

popcorn[1].gif
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 3 2012, 11:11 AM) *

FYI - I've found - again - the German "Drive It!" Car Show on USA TV - aired on KCET 28.4 at ( - 9:30 am Saturdays. I used to watch it during lunch on Thursdays when I didn't have work meetings, but they moved it & my wife just found it again for me - ergo the "again".

They do both car tests of current models in Europe - similar to "Motor Week" aired on PBS (KLCS 58.1 at 11:30 - noon on Saturdays here in SoCal), but they also have a weekly vintage car segment as well. I haen't seen our 914s featured yet, but then I've missed a number of their shows.

It's a pretty good car show - & while I like the US English narrator's voice over much better, than the distracting subtitles which most of the "New KCET's" other foreign programming uses - but I find his repeating the metric specs frustrating.

I really wish he'd at least read out HP, foot-pounds, mpg, etc. - instead of repeating the metric ones on the onscreen charts & that German reporter in the background is saying! dry.gif

I think most Euro folks over here in the USA/Canada can read those charts if you must! biggrin.gif

Their TV show's website is below, if you want to check for coverage in other areas:

popcorn[1].gifI found a video of a German driving show from about 1970 it is in B/W but does have english sub titles I have the episode where they test the 914 and even put it in an artic climate simulator garage where they test for cold weather start etc the compared favorably to the opel GT and ford Sport car of the day-If you want it i can send you the link-Phil
TheCabinetmaker
Hey phil, I barely found your post. Better to put it outside the qoute box.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 3 2012, 12:35 PM) *

Hey phil, I barely found your post. Better to put it outside the qoute box.

agree.gif
Gint
agree.gif I was going to fix it for you. wink.gif

Edit: I did.
dlkawashima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad2qOUUSHTY
Tom_T
QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Mar 3 2012, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 3 2012, 11:11 AM) *

popcorn[1].gifI found a video of a German driving show from about 1970 it is in B/W but does have english sub titles I have the episode where they test the 914 and even put it in an artic climate simulator garage where they test for cold weather start etc the compared favorably to the opel GT and ford Sport car of the day-If you want it i can send you the link-Phil

Why don't post on here Phil, so everybody can see it.

Maybe they'll also do a vintage car look back drive test on it again in the "nowadays"! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 3 2012, 10:16 PM) *

poke.gif .... well there I go - poked myself! biggrin.gif

Thanx Dave, any idea when that aired originally on DW tv - what year anyway? confused24.gif

PS - I'm pretty sure that some of that 914-6/GT footage near the end was filmed using Steve G's/smg914 Strenger Six 914-6/GT as the camera car. It looks the same as some of the stills from it that Steve showed me awhile back.

FYI - this is a current pic of his -6 - at the Savannah Parade last summer IIRC -
Click to view attachment
johannes
QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Mar 3 2012, 12:14 PM) *

I suppose you are telling about the 1969 ZDF "Autotest" show that was subtitled by Andy ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-849287123948911144
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 5 2012, 02:21 AM) *

Thanx Dave, any idea when that aired originally on DW tv - what year anyway? confused24.gif

The episode is from Sept. 28, 2011. Here is the link to the episode:

http://www.dw.de/dw/episode/0,,15373839,00.html

Oddly, the full episode is incorrect, but if you click on the individual segments to the right, they all come up correctly.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 5 2012, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 5 2012, 02:21 AM) *

The episode is from Sept. 28, 2011. Here is the link to the episode:

http://www.dw.de/dw/episode/0,,15373839,00.html

Oddly, the full episode is incorrect, but if you click on the individual segments to the right, they all come up correctly.

Thanx again Dave!

That explains it, as I was traveling that week & couldn't catch it when first aired!

It's a pretty good show, & I usually time my weekend Sat. "honey do list" & projects work breaks around it & Motor Week! shades.gif

Thanx to Johannes for the link too!
BTW - your "914 Comin-n-Goin" T-shirt that I wore got a few good comments at the Porsche Show in Anaheim yesterday! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.