Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine bay temps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Does anyone have any data on how high the engine bay temps are on our cars? I know I have reached in after a long drive and some things can be pretty warm to the touch, but nothing to burn your hand unless you lay it on the engine itself. I am thinking how the rest of the equipment in the engine bay is affected by the temps and how important cooling is to them.
Tom
Joe Owensby
I have an air temp sensor located on the rear firewall, between the engine and the trunk. This is very near where the air inlet for a 2.0 filter is. The temp there usually reads abou 20 to 30 degrees above ambient when the car has been driven a lot. I am sure the temps are higher down near the tin, etc. JoeO
Tom
Joe,
That is good news and what I would expect.
Thanks,
Tom
Dave_Darling
Demick (search on his user name) did a study on this as well. He fabricated a "cold air intake" from gutter downspout material, I think, and reported positive results. He later figured out he could get similar results merely by turning around the intake to face the opposite way.

--DD
rwilner
I also have an intake air temp sensor readout and my sensor is in the plenum. My results are similar to joe's. This is for a mostly stock 2.0 liter that's fuel injected. Results will obviously vary based on engine type and condition of your tin, etc.
Rich
Tom
From what I have been able to find on these mentioned threads, it seems like about 140-150 degrees would be the high temp range for the majority of the engine bay. That answers my question, so now I can move on to another subject.
Thanks for the links to the info,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.