Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Philip W. has gone to the "dark side" of water cooling...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Phil picked up a Boxster S today...joing the ranks of us with water cooled Porsches!

I admit that I did help him in his quest. I gave him some advice and found the car he eventually bought. Now he will have a Porsche to drive while his 914 sits on jackstands getting some restoration work done! lol-2.gif

IPB Image
Jake Raby
And he better retrofit the IMS bearing electively or install my IMS Guardian system, else he'll need an engine that cost more than the car is worth..
Great looking Boxster!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 3 2012, 05:14 PM) *

And he better retrofit the IMS bearing electively or install my IMS Guardian system, else he'll need an engine that cost more than the car is worth..
Great looking Boxster!

Thanks jake,

Its a well maintained very clean car. No.sign of any ims issue with it yet. Thanks for the heads up.
it will be watched very closely.

Will post more pictures later.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Mar 2 2012, 06:02 PM) *

What kind of car are you working on? biggrin.gif
That may be for the subie....

Nice find, you'll really like the Boxster.
Black914_4
Nice looking car.
Looks just like my old one! piratenanner.gif
Had lots of fun in it biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 3 2012, 07:15 PM) *

Nice looking car.
Looks just like my old one! piratenanner.gif
Had lots of fun in it biggrin.gif

Thanks guys. It does not replace the teener, there is something about the older car.
914 has more leg room. Pretty slick shifting, I really like the 6 speed of the boxster.
but I think I have the best of both worlds.

scotty b
I had such high hopes for you and then this sad2.gif
Elliot Cannon
He must be over 60 years old? av-943.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 3 2012, 08:18 PM) *

I had such high hopes for you and then this sad2.gif

av-943.gif

Don't worry Scotty, I am fixing the 914, I.really love my teener but decided not to have 2 40year old cars right now.

I'll see you next month with my transmission in tow!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 3 2012, 08:23 PM) *

He must be over 60 years old? av-943.gif

confused24.gif

No not for quitr some time. bootyshake.gif
billh1963
The Boxster is the natural successor to the 914. Now Phil has the best of both worlds! beer.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 3 2012, 05:31 PM) *

The Boxster is the natural successor to the 914. Now Phil has the best of both worlds! beer.gif

dry.gif KMA.gif
Black914_4
Had a blast driving mine biggrin.gif

Mine had the spoke type wheels. I never really cared for the turbo twist wheels.
EdwardBlume
Nice car! IMHO get the IMS upgrade. Low mile easy driven cars are the victims. Otherwise Boxsters fit on jackstands too...
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 4 2012, 08:54 AM) *

Had a blast driving mine biggrin.gif

Mine had the spoke type wheels. I never really cared for the turbo twist wheels.

Thats nice, I am already looking at black rims.

Hey Scotty,
Bill is right, the boxster is what the 914 would have morphed into by now had it continued. Many of us would have preferred an air cooled rather than water , it it were you would love this car!

In fact when they began designing the boxter they looked at porsche design history and looked at the 914, because everyone knows the 914the has superior balance and handling to a 911,

__
Black914_4
[/quote]

the boxster is what the 914 would have morphed into by now had it continued. Many of us would have preferred an air cooled rather than water , if it were you would love this car!

[/quote]

agree.gif
billh1963
Air cooled guys hate to hear it; but, the Boxster and subsequent water cooled cars saved Porsche from financial collapse.

I love air cooled cars (my first Porsche was the car of many air cooled lovers dream...a 993 C4S) and I wish I had kept that car. However, I am also a realist. Car companies evolve or they die.

My 993 was a beautiful car. But, from a driver's perspective, my 997 is faster, handles better, rides nicer, is more comfortable, etc. than the 993. A hard core air-cooled enthusiast doesn't care and would want the 993. The problem is, there aren't enough of those guys buying cars to keep Porsche solvent.

If the 914 had survived, it would have evolved as well. The boxster is an open air mid-engine car in the same vein as the 914. However, it is faster, safer, more comfortable, etc. than the 914.

I think you can own air cooled and water cooled...and appreciate each car for the driving experience it brings to the table.
SUNAB914
Beautiful car Phil. Enjoy!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Mar 4 2012, 10:18 AM) *

Beautiful car Phil. Enjoy!

Thanks chris,!

It was a hard decision - but if I know that if I ever change ny mind it will sell easily, but I will enjoy it
Once my 914transmission is finished and the longs are repaired, I will probably want to start another 914, LOL!
JStroud
I've enjoyed driving my stepfathers boxster while I'm "selling" it for him, lots of power, handles nice. Not impressed with the interior layout, emergency brake handle is in a bad location...right where I like to rest my arm...not very comfortable. I guess I like the 914 better, I drive it almost everyday, the boxster maybe every two weeks.

Jeff
AZ914
Very nice!!
rick 918-S
When the engine dies I'll buy the carcass... assimilate.gif Sorry I think that was kind of mean... unsure.gif Nice car! beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 4 2012, 09:48 AM) *

When the engine dies I'll buy the carcass... assimilate.gif Sorry I think that was kind of mean... unsure.gif Nice car! beerchug.gif

Thats what I do. I have 2 now and two more on the way, one of which is 996 Targa.

A Boxster with a blown engine sells for less than a 914 with a blown engine.
billh1963
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 4 2012, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 4 2012, 09:48 AM) *

Thats what I do. I have 2 now and two more on the way, one of which is 996 Targa.

A Boxster with a blown engine sells for less than a 914 with a blown engine.

Really? I'll take one if I can fine one. I would also love to find a 996 with a blown engine for cheap.
Dr Evil
I may get a shell someday and put a suby in it smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.