Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headlight option
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
winnkhan
Does anybody know of a dealer/ supplier that offers a headlight kit that would use the front fender signal location as the headlight ?
With the new halogen light available it shouldnt be to hard to put head lights and turn signals in those areas.
eeyore
Don't know of any kits. I've been toying with the idea of install these mini lights into the turn signal pods. I'd like to ditch the pop-up headlights.

http://foglights.com/xlo.html
http://foglights.com/xsl.html

Might have to widen the pod, or form & weld in some bulges / fairings to get them to blend, and not look too 'import'ish.
winnkhan
thats what i was after too (losing the pop ups)
i thought maybe i would make my own pod from fiberglass , and maybe use the european lens since they are mostly clear. problem would be the turn signal operation unless you split the new pod.
winnkhan
thanks for the web sights .
eeyore
Look for some LEDs to replace the turn signal. I've seen small billet, bullet shaped LEDs for hot rods that would fit inside the pod. (Too lazy to do web search right now)

For lens covers look here
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=4&t=2951

in 914 Parts, Products, etc.
Joe Bob
The reason the 914s HAVE popup headlights is due to Federal headlight height minimums. You COULD put an auxilary light down there but legally need the popups.........
eeyore
I'm not sure where 'down there' is, but I do have minimum headlight height in mind in my mental ramblings.

Headlight height is measured from the ground to the center of the lens, right?

Therefore, 2" dia light at the top of the turn signal pod would actually have a center point that is higher than the center of the real headlights. I think. Haven't acutally measured.
Joe Bob
I was assuming that you wanted to put headlights in the grill area.....sorry, read too fast.
fiid
You aren't going to get away with plastic turn signal lenses for 2 reasons:

1) they will probably melt
2) the beam pattern will be aweful.

I think the best bet is to get some thick glass cut and drilled - with the cuts at an angle. I think it ought to be possible to get an LED turn signal and an HID light in that space and provide more than adequate lighting whilst losing the popups.

I will probably try to do this when I'm done with my current projects and have too much time and money lying around.
DougC
This is where you need to look for conversion lighting..Also check some of the Mazda Miata sites, they often do similar conversions. I've thought about doing this to a 914 for a while.. anyway check out this site! http://www.rallylights.com/hella/headlamps.htm

Doug C
winnkhan
i think this will look sweet , sleek , smooth the hood move the lights. sweet. clap56.gif

i had considered modifiing a bumper/ spoiler to do all the lighting . but i ll probably just use the turn pods.
SpecialK
Seems like something like this would work pretty well using headlight covers that drop down exposing the lights at the rear of the headlight bucket.....Okay, well squint your eyes and look at it again.
winnkhan
are you saying to leave the head lights where they are ? and expose them with a cover?
good idea.
that would be a lot easier and would give the car a very up dated look.
I wonder if you could use the fog and signal light that in this picture modify it to fit that 914 turn pod?
which car is this?
rhodyguy
there is/was a car(a 6) in the classifieds that has the pop up lights removed, some sort of fixed lights installed, and clear covers.

kevin
nsyr
something like this
nsyr
this
Aaron Cox
i think it looks icon8.gif barf.gif ...but it is a neat idea. maybe if the openeing wasnt square confused24.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I think the pop ups are cool.
Cheers, Elliot
winnkhan
I think your both right ,is that a orderable light ?
if you were to overlay the outside edge of the light with fiberglass and paint it to match the car it would make the opening look smaller .cool
where did you find these headlights?
DougC
Come on NSYR give us more info on those lights in your picture - please.

Doug C
fiid
I think putting non-popup lights in the stock place is an excellent idea. I also like the idea of doing the miata-like popups that only rise 3" or so - just enough for a pair of small projectors each side. I don't know how easy it would be to modify the 914 light mechanism to allow for this though.
914Timo
I also like the idea of doing the miata-like popups that only rise 3" or so - just enough for a pair of small projectors each side.

I like the idea too. We have measured there should be enough room for two light modules per side. Hella makes very nice modules, where the diameter of the light is 95mm. Hella codes should be something like 1BL008193-027 (h9 bulb) and 1KO008191-057. The only problem is that they are quite expencives and I wouldnt like to have a set just for testing.

An other idea I have thought many times is using 928 lights in 914. I like 928 lights mueba.gif but they need quite a lot smash.gif
914Timo
Try this LINK if you like to see more about Hella lights.
914Timo
...or this LINK.

And the diameter was only 90mm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.