Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original, or not?, a '70/4 inspection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3
1970 Neun vierzehn
This site has gotten a little too quiet yellowsleep[1].gif for my liking, so in an unselfish rolleyes.gif attempt to liven things up, I thought a different perspective on originality might be in order.

The idea for this thread came about from viewing eBay posts calling attention to a particular 914 and the resultant comments (some rather blistering) with regard to the alleged,implied, or stated originality/authenticity of aforementioned vehicle.

Being the second owner of this 1970/4 for the past 37 years, and for the most part having kept it true to factory spec and appearance during this period, I think a thread inviting interested Forum members to point out discrepencies and alterations from OEM might make for some interesting viewing and reading.
This is not an invitation to pick nits about cleanliness or color preferences or my "taste" in what I've changed from stock. It is an invite, however to find what I changed, or "improved". Some mods will be very obvious, others, I will be surprised if they will be noticed at all.

Hopefully, if this thread prospers, we will see other members post their specific OEM (or almost OEM) model years for close scrutiny.

I shall post photos of a specific area on the car until all comments and observations noting the anomilies are accounted for.

Remember, this is a 1970, 1.7, build date January 1970.
6freak
such as the wrong valance and rear view mirror ..and of course the LP..Ill keep look n
MikeC smile.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 3 2012, 09:17 PM) *

such as the wrong valance and rear view mirror ..and of course the LP..Ill keep look n
MikeC smile.gif

You are correct regarding the front valence change , but the interior rear view mirror is original to the car.

Paul
Gustl
it's very unlikely that this old german customs licence plate came with the car when you bought it rolleyes.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 4 2012, 06:30 AM) *

but the interior rear view mirror is original to the car.

I don't think so ... this rear view mirror is the later style
it came in MY'72
1970 Neun vierzehn
Next view......
Gustl
original wheels should be 155SR15 - the ones on your car look much wider
1970 Neun vierzehn

MikeC smile.gif

I'd gotten all the service records for this car when I purchased it in July 1975. There is/was no reference to replacing a mirror. The two references to the later style mirror in this thread correlate to what is shown in the Dr. Johnson 914 Authenticity Guide. I have never changed it. WTF.gif idea.gif

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Gustl @ Mar 3 2012, 09:34 PM) *

original wheels should be 155SR15 - the ones on your car look much wider

Wolfgang, you got that even before I posted the side view.

Paul
tod914
Looks like a non DOT approved headlamp. Can't make out the manufacturer. Great thread btw.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 3 2012, 09:50 PM) *

Looks like a non DOT approved headlamp. Can't make out the manufacturer. Great thread btw.

Yes indeed, H/L update., Cibie H-4s.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
This is an ez change to spot.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 3 2012, 09:55 PM) *

Well, i'm no expert, but i think the wheels should be steelies?
idea.gif
sixerdon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 3 2012, 10:36 PM) *

idea.gif

4-1/2" steelies w/ 155's to be exact as previously mentioned.........and check that mirror again. The mirror on my Jan '70 /6 measures 1-7/8" from top to bottom of frame at center point.
Don

6freak
those are not stock valve stems on them none stock tires.... lol-2.gif ...just yank n your chain ....I have a new jack post cover if ya need one or two poke.gif

MikeC smile.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Mar 4 2012, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 3 2012, 10:36 PM) *

idea.gif

4-1/2" steelies w/ 155's to be exact as previously mentioned.........and check that mirror again. The mirror on my Jan '70 /6 measures 1-7/8" from top to bottom of frame at center point.
Don

wheels: yes, when I bought the car, it had 4.5" steel wheels w/155SR15s AND slotted aluminum trim rings surrounding the hubcaps. The attached pic is not my car, but shows the wheel cover configuration (although the hubcaps did not have VW logos on them).

mirror: at center point, my mirror measures 2.75", so I guess it could be a later mirror. I've never changed it and the original service records for the car do not indicate any mirror replacement, so ????? idea.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
another ez change to identify.....
6freak
lenses and the 914 badge seems wrong ...shouldnt it read 1.7?
fun stuff
MikeC smile.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Euro lenses were added by me back in the 70s.

The 914 emblem is correct by itself.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
since we are at the rear, let's look in the trunk.....,...(though there's not much to see inside)
Gustl
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 4 2012, 07:37 PM) *

914 badge seems wrong ...shouldnt it read 1.7?

the early cars were badged "914" or "914-6" ... no further specification was nescessary

with the introduction of the 2-Liter they started to use badges "914 1.7" and "914 2.0" (and later "914 1.8")

beerchug.gif
Gustl
the rubber caps at the domes are missing ...
1970 Neun vierzehn
without the carpet (w/ stain that I can't get out)
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Gustl @ Mar 4 2012, 10:52 AM) *

The car never had them @ delivery. Later photos will also illustrate an absence of certain things.
1970 Neun vierzehn
last rear trunk pics......
6freak
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 4 2012, 11:00 AM) *

The car never had them @ delivery. Later photos will also illustrate an absence of certain things.

I have some extras if ya want them ...rubber caps ...but i better make sure my Brother has two before i give them away.....I learned something today bout the stinking badges piratenanner.gif
MikeC.....and a felt marker will make that jack look new like the rest of the car
unpolire
Is this an unrestored car? Rust free and original paint?
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(unpolire @ Mar 4 2012, 11:18 AM) *

Is this an unrestored car? Rust free and original paint?

It is rust free now, has been repainted to OEM color (L11E, Canary yellow), and I don't know what you'd call what I had done....a restoration, a sympathetic restoration, a refurbishment, a resurrection, a re-freshening? idea.gif

This is what it looked like before........
1970 Neun vierzehn
...but underneath the paint and floor.....
1970 Neun vierzehn
as there wasn't really all that much in the rear trunk with the only concern dealing with the rubber caps that were never there to begin with, let's go to the other end of the car and look inside the front lid.

please disregard the foam pieces under the spare......they are there to keep the rubber from marring and staining the paint.
1970 Neun vierzehn
sides....
1970 Neun vierzehn
ID #s in trunk
6freak
interesting place for the tow loop
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 4 2012, 12:14 PM) *

always thought that's what those threaded spots were for, as there really isn't any room in the tool roll for it.

Paul
6freak
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 4 2012, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 4 2012, 12:14 PM) *

always thought that's what those threaded spots were for, as there really isn't any room in the tool roll for it.

Paul

those are the welded in nuts for the suspension ...but hey it works ... i see no other changes in front trunk
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 4 2012, 01:37 PM) *

fun stuff
MikeC smile.gif

They didn't add the "1.7" until MY73
Gustl
now it's definitely clear that the Pedrinis were added later
this one is a MY'73 Pedrini sunglasses.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 4 2012, 10:55 AM) *

The seam sealer around the rear shock towers does not look original. It should have been sprayed on, not brushed.

shades.gif
Gustl
it the VIN tag (the bigger one) original or repro?
the VIN looks more like engraved that hammered in - but difficult to tell from that pic ...
sixerdon
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 4 2012, 11:00 AM) *

I agree. Contrary to Dr. Johnson's book, they were added at least a year later or more. Mine did not come with it. Many photo's of the day show the tops of the threaded shocks without the rubber cap. However, they do tidy up the trunk.

Also, note the correct position for installing the jack.
Don
porbmw
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 3 2012, 09:46 PM) *

MikeC smile.gif

I'd gotten all the service records for this car when I purchased it in July 1975. There is/was no reference to replacing a mirror. The two references to the later style mirror in this thread correlate to what is shown in the Dr. Johnson 914 Authenticity Guide. I have never changed it. WTF.gif idea.gif

Paul

This is a good thread...I've already picked up on a couple of points.

RE the interior mirror, they were/are prone to fall off, and easy to stick a newer one on.
There are a few out there, but be careful, I bought a very nice one from a pretty high volume vendor who deals in Porsche parts, only to figure out it was not Porsche...looked pretty close

You have a big score re the porthole rear valance, sure don't see them around

Nice car

Paul
6freak
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 4 2012, 02:15 PM) *

fun stuff
MikeC smile.gif

MY73 confused24.gif Good catch on the valance appears to be a six valance but the hole seems a little more to the right then a six ...O the jack is supposed to have a piece of foam rubber stuff under it on the finder not the trunk floor
MikeC
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 4 2012, 10:50 AM) *

since we are at the rear, let's look in the trunk.....,...(though there's not much to see inside)

Is this the original trunk carpet? At least the later cars have a grommet for the spare tire tie down...not sure about earlier cars.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 4 2012, 11:54 AM) *

sides....

The white plastic edge protection is missing from the large hole edges in the front long braces.
1970 Neun vierzehn
those are the welded in nuts for the suspension ...but hey it works ... i see no other changes in front trunk

Interesting, I didn't know that the suspension points were visible into the front trunk.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 4 2012, 02:16 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 4 2012, 10:55 AM) *

The seam sealer around the rear shock towers does not look original. It should have been sprayed on, not brushed.

shades.gif

Sir Andy,
I understand that the early production cars had the seam sealer applied by hand with a brush, rather than the typically seen, later style sprayed app.
The accompanying pic shows the rear trunk before restoration.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Gustl @ Mar 4 2012, 02:19 PM) *

it the VIN tag (the bigger one) original or repro?
the VIN looks more like engraved that hammered in - but difficult to tell from that pic ...

Wolfgang,
Everything is OEM, the sides of the front trunk have never been touched, only the floor was redone.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 4 2012, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 4 2012, 02:15 PM) *

fun stuff
MikeC smile.gif

MY73 confused24.gif Good catch on the valance appears to be a six valance but the hole seems a little more to the right then a six ...O the jack is supposed to have a piece of foam rubber stuff under it on the finder not the trunk floor
MikeC

Mike,
There is a piece of felt that matches the trunk material located on the side, just where the end of the jack point almost touches it. The pre-resto photo shows it better.

The valance is an early /4 valence.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 4 2012, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 4 2012, 10:50 AM) *

Is this the original trunk carpet? At least the later cars have a grommet for the spare tire tie down...not sure about earlier cars.

Carpet is original.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 4 2012, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 4 2012, 11:54 AM) *

sides....

The white plastic edge protection is missing from the large hole edges in the front long braces.

Jeff,

Car never had them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.