Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quaife LSD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tscrihfield
The units that Quaife sell for the 914. Does anyone know if they are torque bias or if they are a true Limited slip. This is for racing use and I would like to know if it works in deceleration as well as acceleration. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas
brant
its a tb diff

there is some reason to believe that a tb may be faster than a clutch limited slip in a lower powered mid engine car

I've run locked and TB both
I can't beat my track time either way, although the TB is much easier to drive and the locked is better in braking.... but its easy to blow it also and harder on tires (constantly sliding)

my builder who is an amazing 914 driver swears that they have cut 2 seconds a lap in back to back tests with the TB over the Limited slip

driving styles are completely different

guard makes both
we had a conversation with paul once and he agreed that a TB may be faster in a mid engined car

the locked diff is generally preferred above 300hp (500 especially optimum)

my belief is that the lower the hp the more the car would work with the TB.

not sure where the exact lines should be drawn... but an opinion is that around 225 would probably swing towards a clutch limited slip

another thing I considered when choosing my tb over the clutch ls was maintenance. The clutch packs need to be rebuilt regularly

both also create much more heat than open or locked.
brant

ConeDodger
I love - love - love my Guard TB diff in my 914... I have a limited slip in my 240Z and it is great too... but I suspect as Brant has said, the TB diff would be better as my Z is probably 200 RWHP.
campbellcj
I have the Quaife TBD in my trans and it works well for the short technical tracks I mainly drive. At first I was resenting this vs. a clutch-type as my car was very skittish under braking and the TBD doesn't help that. However, reworking the suspension, brakes and alignment/corner-balance have cured that. Now my problem is getting enough power to the ground on corner exit, which flares & bigger tires will hopefully help (in-progress now.)
tscrihfield
Great information! Thanks everyone!

Is there a company out there that still makes a clutch style diff? Currently we are running an original 904 LSD with clutches and we would like to return to that but with newer technology and redly available parts....

Thanks,
Thomas
a914622
I have a Peloquin TB diff in the vanagon and i done think it workes under decel. I have it mated to a suby 2.5 and the TB makes all the differance!! With out it one wheel wonders even with 17's. With TB you can even get on it in the rain!

Another thing to think about is the cluch style takes an oil made for them. The TB gear style takes the oil best for the tranny.

jcl
brant
Paul guard. I think he was having them made to spec in australia. I think tom conway also has gears made by the same outfit in australia. I remember car quipt selling them also
campbellcj
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 4 2012, 11:44 AM) *

Paul guard. I think he was having them made to spec in australia. I think tom conway also has gears made by the same outfit in australia. I remember car quipt selling them also

It's not Paul Guard anymore (he sold the company) but still GT (Guard Transmission): http://www.guardtransmission.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.