Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cr#p!!! 2nd full day of driving the car to work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim912928
Well,

This week I got the 914 back on the road. Drove great monday. Clutch still needed to be depressed to far to the floor to shift well (I do have a clutch stop in now on an engman pedal board). Adjusted it some monday night but this morning i still had to go completely to the floor to get it in 1st/reverse...etc.

On the way home today it slowly got worse to finally putting the clutch all the way in only ground gears. Clutch itself seems fine as there is no slipping.

In checking out the movement once I got it home (wifey manning the clutch pedal) the clutch fork doesn't move much...the clutch cable doesn't move much around that wheel...the clutch cable itself seems to be flexing alot...where it enters the center tunnel is stable as a rock (no movement there).

So I'm guessing I need a new clutch cable (this one is old, and sat on the car while this thing sat in the desert for 6 years) and probably should rebuild the pedal cluster (spring action seemed weak).

Good guesses or should I check other stuff?

Jim
Neal
I just had this problem, it was my clutch cable pin at the pedal. It was brolken and had to be replaced it also frayed the end of the cable which made the action less than smooth.

Neal
Eric Taylor
Cable would be the first thing to replace, but I would also pull the shifter out and the acces panles on the tunnel and check the clutch tube. See if you can find it, and wiggle it. If so than you get to do the tube weld smile.gif. It's a fun one. I've got to do it soon. If you can't find the tube, or if you feel it firmly stuck to the wall, consider yourself lucky, because it's probably just the cable, which is a LOT less of a hassle than cutting the tunnel and all that jazz.
Eric
jim912928
Well,

Finally got some time to dig into what is going on...here are my findings so far:

1. trying to wiggle the clutch cable tube and it feels fine (couldn't feel any movement)
2. no movement down where it exits the firewall
3. locknut on the pedal side was real loose
4. tranny side was adjusted fully (but in the last few days I drove this it really felt
like it stretched

So, I tighten the pedal side locknut, put a nylon spacer on the tranny side and adjusted it so i had very little pedal free play. Fired it up to see if clutch totally disengaged. Everything felt fine. In and out of 1st and reverse with no grinding and the clutch felt real good (pedal action and the overall feel felt just like the action on my 911..so I had a reference point).

Now I'm guessing that my cable is just old and is starting to give. Going to order one, and a pedal cluster kit as long as I'm in there before I drive it and it snaps. I've read a few threads on clutch cables...Terry, OEM, Gemo? Other then smoothness, any real difference on quality/performance/longetivity/upkeep?

Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge and guidance!

Jim
Engman
Rebuild the cluster! Did the 74 over the summer and had to replace the clevis pin - it was cut halfway thru and either rusted in or jammed in place - had to cut it off. Definately get a new end - the end that attaches to the cluster - I will bet the old one is just about kaput.

Cables - there was a thread recently - go with what the Brad recommends - he has seen more than most of us.

M
Red-Beard
You have probably 20-50 shifts left in the cable...Get the new one now. It will fail very very soon.
jim912928
agree on it failing soon...it's currently up on jack stands and is not coming down until a new cable is in!
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Sep 20 2004, 06:57 PM)
agree on it failing soon...it's currently up on jack stands and is not coming down until a new cable is in!

rebuild all the bushings in the pedal-cluster while you're at it.

well spend money!
cool.gif Andy
jim912928
Andy....that will also be done along with the cable! Slowly but surely I think I'm going to have a brand new 914! lol
Red-Beard
I did everything to make my 914/6 shift well. Then I drove a well sorted out 914/4 sideshift. No comparison. And now my 914/6 shifts better than new.

You will be amazed at the upgrades available for the car which will make it better than new!
Joe Ricard
Jim you forgot the golden 914 rule....

Drive it one day work on it two days. Geesh this ain't the 928 after all. Which is "drive it one week write check to parts house 100 dollars". Drive it a month refinance the house. wacko.gif
jim912928
yup....MONEY PITS!!!!! but oh what fun! lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.