Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber IDA 3C Bookends? Seized Shafts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mr914
Picked up a 75 914-6 that has been sitting way too long at a body shop 8-10 years. As if I need another project like a hole in the head.

The body shop went bankrupt and the car went thru a couple of hands....

It has a laundry list of problems, including flintstone brakes, disassembled and seized webers. I picked it up for a really good price about the price of a factory oil tank.

I'll cover the car in a different tread.

The IDA3C shafts are seized on both carbs. I've pulled the carbs and manifolds to clean them up and have a few questions.

1) What is the best way to separate the manifolds from the carbs. I've removed the bolts and tried gently tapping on the manifold to break them loose.

2) Is there any hope/tricks for un-seizing the throttle shafts? Would immersion ultrasonic cleaning have any chance in freeing them?

Thanks for your input
McMark
Try tapping a razor blade in between the carb and manifold. Be careful to dig into the gasket and not the soft metals.

Ultrasonic cleaning could be a solution. Heating them in an oven could yield movement as well. A bath in PB Blaster isn't a bad idea either. I would suspect that you can be successful, but you could easily have a lot of time invested in freeing them. Take it slow and avoid any forcing.
mr914
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 4 2012, 05:50 PM) *

Try tapping a razor blade in between the carb and manifold. Be careful to dig into the gasket and not the soft metals.

Ultrasonic cleaning could be a solution. Heating them in an oven could yield movement as well. A bath in PB Blaster isn't a bad idea either. I would suspect that you can be successful, but you could easily have a lot of time invested in freeing them. Take it slow and avoid any forcing.

I have been spraying them with PB Blaster for the past few days. Figured that once I get the manifolds off, I can imerse them in PB.

Have to talk the wife into using the oven.... Somehow I don't think that will be too sucessful...
larryM
send the whole lot to Mike Pierce at Pierce Manifolds in Gilroy, CA

- he will completely re-do them to perfection

if ya have to ask the price, ya can't afford the car

quote name='McMark' date='Mar 4 2012, 02:50 PM' post='1639055']

[/quote]
mr914
QUOTE(larryM @ Mar 4 2012, 09:09 PM) *

Considering I bought it for donor/parts car pricing, Why would I spend big bucks on rebuilding a set of seized carbs versus taking a set of CIS injection off the shelf and converting to EFI.

If I can free the shafts, then they may be rebuildable, otherwise they will make good bookends while fiddling with the other projects.

First problem is seperating the manifolds from the carbs. Wife VETOED ar15.gif the idea of using the oven. Once it gets warmer, I will fixture it up and try the heat gun.

Any tricks to seperating the manifolds from the carbs? So far Razor blade and heat

Besides, there are other problems... Yes, that is water in a cylnder head hissyfit.gif
mr914
Flintstone brakes. Yes, that is a hole where the pedal cluster should be....
jcambo7
QUOTE(mr914 @ Mar 5 2012, 12:06 PM) *

Flintstone brakes. Yes, that is a hole where the pedal cluster should be....

Nice dash though...
mr914
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 5 2012, 12:49 PM) *

Nice dash though...

Getty Design. Turns out they still make them on a custom order basis.

Owner back in the 80's had a custom stereo shop so they did some funky things to the car.

Remote radar detectors in modified turn signal housing. 16 speakers, custom subwoofer in the center console.

Too bad something happened at the body shop and the car got pushed out to the back yard of the shop with no windows or doors...
mskala

Considering I bought it for donor/parts car pricing, Why would I spend big bucks on rebuilding a set of seized carbs versus taking a set of CIS injection off the shelf and converting to EFI.

Take a look on the 911 bird board. You could sell them as-is for decent money.
mr914
[/quote]

Take a look on the 911 bird board. You could sell them as-is for decent money.
[/quote]

OK, that is a new one for me confused24.gif What is the Bird Board?
SLITS
www.pelicanparts.com = "Bird Board" ... 911 section

How much do you want for them?
mr914
Ah, Pelican....

Never considered selling them. Have Linkages as well as watersheilds with K&Ns

Figured they would make great looking bookends if I cant get them functional.

Still evaluating the whole car situation, fix it, use it as a donor for another, or part it out sawzall-smiley.gif

As it is still in the 20's here in Michigan, I'm fiddling with the carbs in the comfort of the basement.... Garage time is coming....

IronHillRestorations
You can get a 5 gallon bucket of Mac's carb dip from your local NAPA store. Last time I got one it was around $85. It smells like mothballs soaked in methanol, but it works. I use stainless tie wire to hang the carb in the bucket, close the lid and let it sit for a day or two. You won't believe what you pull out. Never stick your hand in it. It's very caustic and will melt the blue nitrile gloves, so be careful. Never dip anything in it with plastic that you want to keep.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(9146986 @ Mar 5 2012, 05:40 PM) *

You can get a 5 gallon bucket of Mac's carb dip from your local NAPA store. Last time I got one it was around $85. It smells like mothballs soaked in methanol, but it works. I use stainless tie wire to hang the carb in the bucket, close the lid and let it sit for a day or two. You won't believe what you pull out. Never stick your hand in it. It's very caustic and will melt the blue nitrile gloves, so be careful. Never dip anything in it with plastic that you want to keep.

Go down to your local Home Depot and get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and fill it up with diesel, drop them in and close the lid for a few days! You will be surprised how easy they come appart! aktion035.gif
IronHillRestorations
Diesel works really well too, but I haven't found anything that works like that carb dip.
mr914
What about bio-diesel?
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(mr914 @ Mar 6 2012, 07:40 AM) *

What about bio-diesel?

confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
Diesel works really well too, but I haven't found anything that works like that carb dip.

agree.gif If you're in a state that still sells it and, I believe Michigana is one of those that does, get that stuff.
mr914
Checked on the Mac's Carb Cleaner at NAPA.

Its recently been reformulated to reduce VOC's.

It's a two layer chemical, the cleaner is in the bottom of the bucket and there is a rinse floating on top.

Talked with one of the guys at the counter, the new formula does not work as well as the old version.

Its specal order and a 5 gallon pails goes for $113
Jeffs9146
For $16-$17 you can get 4 gallons of Diesel!
mr914
I'm going to give diesel a try first. Stinky stuff, but it is worth a try.

Talked to a buddy that makes his own bio-diesel. he had an intersting suggestion.

The large boat repair facilites deal with seized carb shafts on a regular basis for the boats that are in the water 9 months out of the year.

If soaking does not work, I'll try the marine repair facilites.
euro911
I think I still have some of the old school Berryman's carburetor dip (in 5-gallon cans), but It's getting harder to find locally dry.gif ... in fact I can't find the cans I [supposedly] have here laugh.gif

I've been told Berryman's is still available in 1-gallon cans, but with a lower VOC composition that isn't as strong.

I have a set of 40 IDFs that's shafts are frozen. I've tried PB and immersing them in a U/S tank, but neither method freed them up headbang.gif ... I think I'll try the diesel next
carr914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 6 2012, 05:16 PM) *

For $16-$17 you can get 4 gallons of Diesel!

And use it when you done, to get home driving.gif
larryM
ah! i missed the most significant info - a 1975 914-6

it's a conversion - worth whatever you can get for the parts

in that case - just sell the webers - eBay is good

- junk webers go for 600-800 all the time

QUOTE(mr914 @ Mar 5 2012, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(larryM @ Mar 4 2012, 09:09 PM) *

If I can free the shafts, then they may be rebuildable, otherwise they will make good bookends while fiddling with the other projects.

First problem is seperating the manifolds from the carbs. Wife VETOED ar15.gif the idea of using the oven. Once it gets warmer, I will fixture it up and try the heat gun.

Any tricks to seperating the manifolds from the carbs? So far Razor blade and heat

Besides, there are other problems... Yes, that is water in a cylnder head hissyfit.gif

mr914
piratenanner.gif SUCCESS piratenanner.gif

Went out to the local watering hole beer3.gif and thought about the issue.

1 - if it is loctite that is holding the manifolds up, Depending on if it is Blue, Red or Green... each has a release temperature. Blue is about 160F and green is in the 230 range.

It's finally warm here today... 50 for the first time in months.... Headed into the garage and broke out the heat gun and warmed up the manifolds/carbs.

Gave it a ketchup bottle thump smash.gif and the manifold separated! Tried the shaft and the butterflys are free. Even with the helper spring removed, i could go to WFO and it would snap back to position!!

Time for the second carb. Same process, heat up with the heat gun. Thump the manifold and it came free.

This time a little different story, more corrosion on the shafts. 3/4 open, the butterfly’s will snap back but not from WFO.

One of the butterflys is pretty corroded. The others cleaned up fairly well with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Appears that it was a bit of carbon that was holding them up

Still going to soak them and see what can be cleaned up.

Now to find some manifold to carb gaskets..... Anybody have a set?
McMark
Soda blast those and then completely disassemble them. drooley.gif
mr914
For now, I think I'll soak the carbs,clean them up and put them on the shelf.

I need to move on to looking at the other issues with this project car.

Still have to address the flintstone brakes and the motor.

If the motor is toast, I'll put it on the shelf and look for a 3.0 or 3.2 with FI. Refer to previous post with water in cylinder head

If the motor has compression and rotates freely, then I can go back to the carbs to see if I can get it to fire.

This could be a perpetual project....

euro911
Manifold gaskets are available from numerous vendors (including Pelican).

Weber Carbs Direct sells 40IDA rebuild kits for a real good price ($20. each) and free shipping smile.gif

Their eBay store

Note to self: I need to order a few sets myself ... idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.