Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - can't remove spark plug from subaru
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
update>> it was packed in dirt - i finally got enough loosened up - that i was able to get the socket on the plug : )

--
i replaced 3 with no problems - other than they were tight as hell - well after 100k miles - i guess they thought they were never coming out again. but this last one - socket just spun and spun. what am i looking at - just got this pic - as i could not see in the hole during the daytime.
jmill
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 4 2012, 05:47 PM) *

what am i looking at - just got this pic - as i could not see in the hole during the daytime.

blink.gif OMG

I might be wrong, I hope I'm wrong but it looks like JB Weld.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 4 2012, 03:47 PM) *

i replaced 3 with no problems - other than they were tight as hell - well after 100k miles - i guess they thought they were never coming out again.

but this last one - socket just spun and spun.

what am i looking at - just got this pic - as i could not see in the hole during the daytime.

Looks like it's all clogged with carbon or baked oil.
clean it out with carb cleaner a stiff wire or an awl.
I think the socket isn't reaching all the way in.
firstknight13
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 4 2012, 03:47 PM) *

update>> it was packed in dirt - i finally got enough loosened up - that i was able to get the socket on the plug : )

--
i replaced 3 with no problems - other than they were tight as hell - well after 100k miles - i guess they thought they were never coming out again. but this last one - socket just spun and spun. what am i looking at - just got this pic - as i could not see in the hole during the daytime.

is that from the outside or the inside?? looks like the plug broke at the thread??? if so you are screwed.......i once broke a plug like that...then i broke the rest of it and i had to use a chisel and bang it out and pieces fell in the block.....i used a vac and then used a magnet to get the metal pieces out....then i cranked it a few times to make sure any metal was out......thankfully that worked it took about 4 hrs....GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND
euro911
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 4 2012, 05:12 PM) *
Looks like it's all clogged with carbon or baked oil.
clean it out with carb cleaner a stiff wire or an awl.
I think the socket isn't reaching all the way in.
agree.gif Soak the area with PB or carb cleaner to help dissolve the clog and dig it out, with a long thin flat blade screwdriver, awl, etc.
IronHillRestorations
Kerosine works good for that too
jimkelly
scraped with a little awl and finally got it out and replaced : )
thanks guys!
wingnut86
Jim,

Did you get an after picture for us?

Is that in your 914? I missed the pictures, can you post a few here for us to drool over?

Thx,
Dave
jimkelly
no - its my 1993 subaru impreza - when i finally got the sprak plug out - i can see a pile of crud laying in the hole - so i vaccumed it out - and popped in the last new spark plug.

my 914 is coming along - much more rust repair than expected - but a lot less than many other cars have.

jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.